• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DMU cascades as a result of Great British Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABB125

Established Member
Assuming that Great British Railways results is a more cohesive "joined-up" rail rolling stock plan, what would you do with DMUs if you were in charge? For example, where will the 27 class 175s go? In addition, very limited infrastructure changes are be permitted (eg: electrify Uckfield to free up Southern's class 171s).

Here's my "grand plan":
  • Uckfield/Marshlink are electrified/bi-moded, freeing up Southern's class 171s (6x4-car, 10x2-car, 4x3-car*)
  • The above, and TfW's class 170s (8x3-car, 4x2-car), are sent to EMR. This should, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), increase the planned EMR fleet by the entirety of the Southern fleet, which should be just enough to have doubled-up formations on all Liverpool-Nottingham diagrams. Thus EMR is sorted.
  • TfW will need some extra stock to replace their class 170s; this will take the form of more Mk4 sets (as seems to be happening), and I'm going to suggest a small fleet of class 230s dedicated to the Heart of Wales line. Thus TfW is sorted.
  • The spare class 185s (15 I think?) remain with TPE, so that all diagrams can be double formations (if they weren't planned to be already); any surplus can be sub-leased to Northern.
  • The class 175 fleet goes to East-West Rail, because there should be sufficient units to operate everything once the new bit opens (in 2030?). They live out their days here until the line's electrified.
  • Class 158s from EMR and TfW (50x2-car): I'm not entirely sure what to do with these; I can't just say "give them to Northern to replace their class 150s" because the two classes aren't really replacements for each other. Perhaps replacing Northern's class 156 fleet?
  • I'm in a similar quandry with EMR's class 156s, but I'm loathed to send them to the scrapyard
  • TfW's class 150s can go to Northern or GWR for extra capacity/replacement of badly-corroded units etc

(Apologies if a similar thread exists; I don't remember seeing one though!)

*yes, I know they're currently 2x2-car and 2x4-car

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
  • Class 158s from EMR and TfW (50x2-car): I'm not entirely sure what to do with these; I can't just say "give them to Northern to replace their class 150s" because the two classes aren't really replacements for each other. Perhaps replacing Northern's class 156 fleet?
Go to GWR to replace the short HST sets?
  • I'm in a similar quandry with EMR's class 156s, but I'm loathed to send them to the scrapyard
15 of these are already identified to transfer to Northern (153 replacement+capacity increase).

A0wen

On Moderation
Assuming that Great British Railways results is a more cohesive "joined-up" rail rolling stock plan, what would you do with DMUs if you were in charge? For example, where will the 27 class 175s go? In addition, very limited infrastructure changes are be permitted (eg: electrify Uckfield to free up Southern's class 171s).

Here's my "grand plan":
  • Uckfield/Marshlink are electrified/bi-moded, freeing up Southern's class 171s (6x4-car, 10x2-car, 4x3-car*)
  • The above, and TfW's class 170s (8x3-car, 4x2-car), are sent to EMR. This should, I think (please correct me if I'm wrong), increase the planned EMR fleet by the entirety of the Southern fleet, which should be just enough to have doubled-up formations on all Liverpool-Nottingham diagrams. Thus EMR is sorted.
  • TfW will need some extra stock to replace their class 170s; this will take the form of more Mk4 sets (as seems to be happening), and I'm going to suggest a small fleet of class 230s dedicated to the Heart of Wales line. Thus TfW is sorted.
  • The spare class 185s (15 I think?) remain with TPE, so that all diagrams can be double formations (if they weren't planned to be already); any surplus can be sub-leased to Northern.
  • The class 175 fleet goes to East-West Rail, because there should be sufficient units to operate everything once the new bit opens (in 2030?). They live out their days here until the line's electrified.
  • TfW's class 150s can go to Northern or GWR for extra capacity/replacement of badly-corroded units etc

Surely it would be better to leave the 175s with TFW ?

Not sure about 230s on the HoW - if anything the 175s might work better on there.

EWR I'd look to put 185s on. Fast, reliable units - well suited to the route.

Anonymous10

Established Member

Here's my "grand plan":

slight issue the class 170s were to operate HOW line services which you have covered but also west wales services to pembroke dock and Fishguard what would replace the 170s on those lines

HSTEd

Veteran Member
A cohesive joined up plan would be to replace everything sub-125mph diesel with a single fleet of electrodiesels. Total fleet standardisation in the style of the IE 22000 class.

Unfortunately the existance of the Class 195s makes that politically impossible.

So replacing everything but the Class 195s is the next best thing, and let's face it, none of it is particularly young anyway.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
EWR require between 12 and 14 3-car 100mph DMUs. If the relevant 175s go there it leaves 11 2-car and between 2 and 4 3-car 175s to stay at TfW for the West Wales and HoW services instead of 170s.

As noted in one of the other messages, 15 185s also match the EWR requirement with a slight adjustment to the number.

EWR should, by now, have already entered into an agreed for their initial fleet given the procurement process they started last year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.