• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DMU crossfeeding

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I suspect you may need to elaborate over what you mean by "crossfeeding"
I think he means that some multiple unit trains can feed power from car to another.
So if a class 170 loses it's alternator on the leading car, the car can still receive electrickery from the vehicle(s) behind it. The driver obviously needs lights, horns cab displays etc as well as power for air compressors and HVAC. ISTR the ex Central Trains fleet of 170s had differences between the 170/0, 170/1, 10/5 and 170/6 but some of these were modified.

Not sure what other fleets of diesel units have

dooton

168/2's and 172's can also cross feed. An AC feed is sent from another vehicle in the formation to the SCU (static converter) in the vehicle being crossfed. Both vehicles will go to half lights and half HVAC as a result. A good get out of jail free card if you lose an engine.

Compressors on turbostars are on the engine and mechanically driven so if you lose the engine you lose the compressor so rely on main res being built by the other vehilces in formation.

dk1

Veteran Member
170/2s were never fitted with cross-feeding regretfully hence the use of a bardic/emergency head or tail lamp occasionally. Always seemed penny pinching not to have it considering using a bardic back in the day meant 20mph.

Augustas

I think he means that some multiple unit trains can feed power from car to another.
So if a class 170 loses it's alternator on the leading car, the car can still receive electrickery from the vehicle(s) behind it. The driver obviously needs lights, horns cab displays etc as well as power for air compressors and HVAC. ISTR the ex Central Trains fleet of 170s had differences between the 170/0, 170/1, 10/5 and 170/6 but some of these were modified.

Not sure what other fleets of diesel units have
Thanks, just the answer I was looking for

Towers

Established Member
Known as ‘Remote Supply’ on some BR era units, usually a circuit breaker switch in each cab. It’ll draw power from an adjacent vehicle for basics like lighting. This may be a much less complex and comprehensive system than what is likely fitted to newer fleets!

Tomnick

Established Member
Known as ‘Remote Supply’ on some BR era units, usually a circuit breaker switch in each cab. It’ll draw power from an adjacent vehicle for basics like lighting. This may be a much less complex and comprehensive system than what is likely fitted to newer fleets!
Not even internal lighting, just the absolute basics of marker and tail lights, supply to driving controls (i.e. train wires). I've always understood it to be just a common power supply for those circuits that don't draw much power, carried between vehicles via jumper cables, rather than a complex crossfeeding arrangement that's switched automatically on demand. You can feed a headlight from it too, but only by operating a switch protected by a glass seal – presumably that's asking a bit much of the supply in normal operation!

I understand that, on 170s without crossfeed arrangements, you can't even supply the driving controls from an adjacent vehicle, so once the batteries are completely dead on that vehicle, it's game over from that cab at least (I've been there with a 158 with completely flat batteries on both vehicles. Couldn't couple electrically, so had to be just coupled mechanically and shunted as a swinger – all good fun!)