• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Do not alight here' signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

louis97

Established Member
Wellingborough is one for this. No do not alight here at the end of platforms. HSTs stopping there at night witha coach off the end.

Not at Wellingborough, a full set can fit there, just! (Except platform 3 of course)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianigsy

Warrington Central has them at the eastern end of the Liverpool bound platform- it's technically a six carriage platform but 2x185 will pull up with the end of the last carriage opposite the narrow extension which leads to the signalbox.

Gwenllian2001

There were several such signs at the Bridgend end of the platform at Tondu. These disappeared when the platform was resurfaced to accommodate longer trains a few years ago.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
There's also (or were?) "Alight Other Side" signs on the disused platform face opposite platform 1 at Brighton.

itsjamierawr

Chiham on the Ashford - Ramsgate via Canterbury West line has them (they look quite worn out so I'm guessing from slam door days), yet Wye and Chartham either side of Chiham have the same size platforms but have either had their signs removed or never had them. More confusing - Wye has more services to/from it than Chilham.

Also, Pluckley station has "Do Not Alight Here" signs under a bridge going over the middle of the platform (I presume due to the small amount of platform space there)

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Green Lane on Merseyrail has them.

The platforms at Green Lane are just a little bit too short for 6-car sets and announcements are sometimes made telling passengers in the end coach to move towards the middle. But I believe the end doors do still open on those narrow sections of platform.

louis97

Established Member
Just. Must have been a driver error when I went, coach hanging off the back of P1

Saying that, its not even just - both fast line platforms can take a 2+8 set with 1 power car part off the platform. However a 9 or 10 car meridian would have the rear 2 coaches hanging off.

You could be thinking of Kettering Platform 1, there you have the rear coach partly off the platform. All platforms at Kettering are shorter than Wellingborough fast lines too - didn't expect that when I looked it up!

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Beauly, Conon Bridge and other former 2-platform stations on single track have these signs.

scuffleball

Lyon part-dieu could do with them.

Each track has a passenger platform on one side and a staff platform on the other.

Some how I ended up exiting on the wrong side (I suspect corail coaches don't have central door locking, and this was a pretty hodgepodge ter rake)

341o2

Established Member
I noticed "do not alight here" signs on the Salisbury - Exeter line, where stations have been closed and track singled. for example, Templecombe was totally closed, now reopened. The up platform is intact but disused with "do not alight here", while the single line in use is on the old up formation, a new platform has been constructed on the site of the former down line. A single line with platforms on both sides. does this exist anywhere else?

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I noticed "do not alight here" signs on the Salisbury - Exeter line, where stations have been closed and track singled. for example, Templecombe was totally closed, now reopened. The up platform is intact but disused with "do not alight here", while the single line in use is on the old up formation, a new platform has been constructed on the site of the former down line. A single line with platforms on both sides. does this exist anywhere else?
Not quite right (or correct, but slightly misleading) - the current platform is from 2012 and not from the station reopening in the 80s. I believe it was built because the old platform was the 'wrong' side of the station to the town and needed disabled access or something. It is, however, another nail in the coffin for potential redoubling of that route...

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The ones I always remember were along the outer wall of the International section of Waterloo, at (and beyond) the very end of the highest-numbered domestic platform. Also on the island platforms at Esher, Walton-on-Thames and (I think) New Malden. Not sure if they're still there now that the slammers have gone though. I have a vague memory of seeing some somewhere on Merseyrail, along with possibly Ardwick, but I could be mistaken.

Ardwick does - I went through it on a 142 to Sheffield yesterday - although, for some reason, the guard opened the door control panel as we crawled through

Status
Not open for further replies.