• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Do not open doors this side" sign at Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikePJ

I've just noticed a sign has appeared at Cambridge that says "do not open doors this side". It's in the ballast on the "off" side of platform 7, near to the footbridge, and appears to be new (as of the last week or so). I can understand why you wouldn't want to open the doors on the wrong side, but why does it need a sign all of a sudden?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

otomous

I've just noticed a sign has appeared at Cambridge that says "do not open doors this side". It's in the ballast on the "off" side of platform 7, near to the footbridge, and appears to be new (as of the last week or so). I can understand why you wouldn't want to open the doors on the wrong side, but why does it need a sign all of a sudden?

They are in lots of offside locations with such a sign, you will also "DRA reminder" and "Check signal aspect" where the signal sighting may be poor. Just reminders.

GW43125

Established Member
The S stop on the down platform at Twickenham has always had "Open doors other side" as the stop is in the cess.

IKB

To remind the driver to open the doors on the correct side. There may have been recent incidents at the station of a wrongside release and the sign is designed to mitigate that risk.

Muscle memory or 'autopilot' plays its part in wrongside door releases, especially in stop/start metro type work. If you've made 20 left hand door releases one morning, when you come the 21st which may be an offside platform you need a strategy in place to prevent your fingers reaching for the left hand buttons. At some stations there is signage. Some drivers will cover the buttons, others will use risk triggered commentary, a considered pause once stopped etc. Each company's driving policy may recommend different approaches, especially after an incident.

More modern rolling stock has (together with trackside equipment) the ability to prevent a wrongside door release, or at least ask you if you are sure in your selection.

Last edited:

MikePJ

Thanks all. Having looked again this morning, the sign is on a new pole with a 4/8 car stop sign on it, so it could just be precautionary rather than a response to a specific incident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks all. Having looked again this morning, the sign is on a new pole with a 4/8 car stop sign on it, so it could just be precautionary rather than a response to a specific incident.

Seems as if this might be the first one you've possibly seen, but once you go looking for them they are relatively common. The slight risk must be there on any route where you might have a long sequence of sided platforms with a minority of islands.

I think I saw one a few days ago at Barnham, on the Bognor branch platform.

MikePJ

Seems as if this might be the first one you've possibly seen, but once you go looking for them they are relatively common.

I've seen the signs before, but this one at Cambridge is definitely new (i.e. installed in the last few weeks). The island platform has been there since 2011, so either it's appeared as a result of an updated risk assessment, or in response to an incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.