• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do not travel warning from Chiltern!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaa2

I think because of the game at Wembley today, Chiltern are advising anyone without a ticket for that match not to travel now, even with a rail ticket. Seems extreme for a bank holiday Saturday. A lot of Coventry fans will be using Avanti or other operators anyway.

Surely the Coventry fans will only be making their outward journey before 3pm

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stenbren

I just tried to buy a ticket from a booking office and the staff member refused to sell it to me based on this advice. I’m not travelling to Wembley.
Although the train that did arrive was full and standing and cannot now pick up passengers further down the line.

SynthD

There's a lower league game the next day that doesn't get the same warning. Will Sunday be busy too?

Established Member
Although the train that did arrive was full and standing and cannot now pick up passengers further down the line.

Sounds like sensible demand management. in the circumstances, not great from your point of view of course.

It’s unfortunate that the railway seems less able to cope with these kinds of events than seemed to be the case before Covid.

sammyg901

The problem for Chiltern is their Saturday services are busy anyway especially on a sunny half term Saturday and they're still carrying Oxford passengers which doesn't help.

Looks like they've got most services from Birmingham running 6/7/8 cars with extras and even one "unadvertised" express so not much more they can do (would have been the same pre-COVID)

At least with a blunt warning anyone checking to plan a casual trip has a good idea it's not going to be pretty and can change plans (Inc getting a fee free refund or going tomorrow/Monday instead)

Trainbike46

Established Member
I just tried to buy a ticket from a booking office and the staff member refused to sell it to me based on this advice. I’m not travelling to Wembley.
Refusing to sell a ticket doesn't seem acceptable? were you able to buy one from a ticket machine or different ticket office window instead?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I think because of the game at Wembley today, Chiltern are advising anyone without a ticket for that match not to travel now, even with a rail ticket. Seems extreme for a bank holiday Saturday. A lot of Coventry fans will be using Avanti or other operators anyway.

You are assuming people go to arrive just before kick off. Far from it at a Wembley final. Considering how close Cov is to the Chiltern line and a direct service to Wembley Stadium I imagine a lot will be travelling over to Warwick Pwy and Leamington.

Established Member
Refusing to sell a ticket doesn't seem acceptable? were you able to buy one from a ticket machine or different ticket office window instead?

They’re probably worried it’s someone who will buy a ticket and then immediately demand a taxi, “don’t you know my rights under section X of the PRO” etc.. :D

duncanp

Established Member
I would have thought that most Coventry fans travelling to Wembley would use Avanti West Coast, changing where necessary for a train that calls at Wembley Central.

And wouldn't most Luton fans use Thameslink and change on to the Jubilee Line at West Hampstead?

BeijingDave

I would have thought that most Coventry fans travelling to Wembley would use Avanti West Coast, changing where necessary for a train that calls at Wembley Central.

And wouldn't most Luton fans use Thameslink and change on to the Jubilee Line at West Hampstead?
If you're on the south side of Coventry or in Kenilworth, one of the frequent buses to Leamington station to pick up the Chiltern makes a lot of sense.

The Planner

Veteran Member

Again, why? Wembley Central is a pain to get to.

duncanp

Established Member
If you're on the south side of Coventry or in Kenilworth, one of the frequent buses to Leamington station to pick up the Chiltern makes a lot of sense.

Point taken, but at least there is an alternative for Coventry fans who are unable to use Chiltern.

At least it isn't as bad as at Heathrow, what with the IT issues at British Airways over the past two days having now been resolved.....only for the E passport gates to fail causing 4 hour queues to get through border control

Sods law says that there are always travel problems on a bank holiday weekend, especially an unusual one like this weekend where the weather is actually good.

zwk500

Veteran Member
From Coventry that will normally mean changing at Euston. Otherwise you have to change twice (MK and Watford).
Probably. But there'll be lots of fans of both teams and some neutrals coming from places other than the times themselves. The Championship Playoff final is usually a 90,000 sellout.

centraluser

According to the Wembley Stadium website, the concern is around lack of capacity after the game.

Howardh

Established Member
Avanti aren't currently calling at Coventry...(due to a blockage in the Birmingham area)

UPDATE: With the diversions that are in place, we are currently unable to call at both Birmingham International and Coventry station.

Why in Britain we bother organising anything on a Bank Holiday weekend I cannot fathom. If it can go wrong, even if it can't go wrong, it will on a Bank Holiday. Ask those waiting to have their passports checked as the e-gates are down!!

Last edited:
Avanti aren't currently calling at Coventry...(due to a blockage in the Birmingham area)

Why in Britain we bother organising anything on a Bank Holiday weekend I cannot fathom. If it can go wrong, even if it can't go wrong, it will on a Bank Holiday. Ask those waiting to have their passports checked as the e-gates are down!!
I think there's been one under, sadly. No Avanti services going through Coventry now.

Jimini

Established Member
The hourly rattler to Leamington has been packed to the rafters since the 0900 departure, even before the PUT affecting the WCML. Dread to think what the station's like now!

gazzaa2

There's a lower league game the next day that doesn't get the same warning. Will Sunday be busy too?

I don't think those teams are likely to use those trains.

EMR will be up the wall on Monday with Sheffield Wednesday playing Barnsley. Many TOCs just can't deal with big events now, particularly bank holidays. It was a nightmare on EMR last year with Forest in the final.

Established Member
I don't think those teams are likely to use those trains.

EMR will be up the wall on Monday with Sheffield Wednesday playing Barnsley.

The 180s are being brought back for an encore!

gazzaa2

You are assuming people go to arrive just before kick off. Far from it at a Wembley final. Considering how close Cov is to the Chiltern line and a direct service to Wembley Stadium I imagine a lot will be travelling over to Warwick Pwy and Leamington.

Yeah but they'll need to be at Wembley before kick off, so you'd expect you could make an outward journey to London after 3pm today without Coventry fans on those trains. No good to some but tye advice is don't travel today.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought so. Its Stockport vs Carlisle so most of their fans will probably travel by Avanti. Although saying that the game on Sunday is a 1:30pm kick off which is not ideal for train travel down, so many may go by coach or car.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Yeah but they'll need to be at Wembley before kick off, so you'd expect you could make an outward journey to London after 3pm today without Coventry fans on those trains. No good to some but tye advice is don't travel today.
Those people travelling after 3pm you assume are also coming back.

I wouldn't have thought so. Its Stockport vs Carlisle so most of their fans will probably travel by Avanti. Although saying that the game on Sunday is a 1:30pm kick off which is not ideal for train travel down, so many may go by coach or car.
Carlisle have apparently sold 15000, I would expect Stockport to take more.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Carlisle have apparently sold 15000, I would expect Stockport to take more.
They have but those fans will be largely local to their respective areas, and getting to Wembley from Stockport via a Chiltern service towards Wembley in good time for a 1:30pm kick off is going to be very tight. For Carlisle fans it will be more or less impossible. I know because I'd checked all options as I support Bradford City, and had we beaten Carlisle we would have been going instead, but with at least twice as many fans.

chiltern trev

It is impossible to use Avanti from Carlisle on Sunday for the game. First departure arrives Euston after kickoff. So Carlisle fans travelling by train will most likely be travelling today.
Note - coaches are departing Carlisle around 04.30 Sunday for the match.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It is impossible to use Avanti from Carlisle on Sunday for the game. First departure arrives Euston after kickoff. So Carlisle fans travelling by train will most likely be travelling today.
Note - coaches are departing Carlisle around 04.30 Sunday for the match.
Given the kind of prices I saw when I was checking over hotels just in case my team got through, I'm going to say most Carlisle fans will have very early start tomorrow!

stenbren

Yes I was able to use the ticket machine, as did everyone else at the station who wanted one albeit after a wait in the queues.

sammyg901

With the match into extra time and still drawing this causes even more of a headache as there are less trains left to squeeze everyone into. A shame a few more units couldn't be spared to lengthen the last few trains

Chiltern are saying they won't be able to carry everyone home, ticket acceptance out of Euston in place

gazzaa2

With the match into extra time and still drawing this causes even more of a headache as there are less trains left to squeeze everyone into. A shame a few more units couldn't be spared to lengthen the last few trains

Chiltern are saying they won't be able to carry everyone home, ticket acceptance out of Euston in place

They should be okay with the Euston services available. They're on late enough to Birmingham at least.

A good job Avanti are running

Status
Not open for further replies.