• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do online retailers have to offer all tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevmonk

I was wondering if online ticket sites are obliged to offer a full range of tickets and make it possible to buy the correct ticket for the journey requested, as would be the case for face to face sales. I had assumed they would be regulated in some way.

I am thinking about the German run Omio site (formerly GoEuro) who I have been using recently due to their generous cashback offer (often 10%-!5%). They have restricted the range of UK tickets available and will sometimes only offer a more expensive option rather than the obvious cheaper choice.

Three examples:
For a simple point to point journey their site is just about usable but when I couldn't find a way to buy an outboundary Travelcard I queried it with them. Their response was that most of their available routes are for inter city journeys but they may add 'public transport' options in the future. i.e. no way to get the ticket I wanted via their site.

Their booking engine also doesn't seem to offer cheaper 'not via London' routes/tickets and they don't have a 'via' option on the search page so it seems impossible to get the cheaper route you may require.

When I'm travelling out in peak and back offpeak I usually add my railcard to the search options in case it's cheaper to get two singles (one discounted on the way back). On any UK run site you would be automatically offered any Anytime Return (with no railcard discount) if it was cheaper than the two singles. Omio doesn't do this and will apply the specified railcard even if there is an obvious cheaper option on the same services. Their suggestion was about 50% more expensive and they leave it to you to enter another search without a railcard (if you realise).

I realise a non UK site may struggle with the complexities of our ticketing system but is there someone overseeing them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Remind them of their obligations under the Consumer Regulations. In short, if they don't want to sell the cheaper tickets, they should at least advise potential purchasers that they exist and not misrepresent the correct cheapest price for any journey specified. If they are not doing this, report them to the authorities - ORR / DfT / your MP - or failing that, see if Trading Standards will step in and carry out the ORR's duty on its behalf. At the moment the regulators appear to be turning a blind eye to this sort of behaviour, so it might need someone to take a blatant example to the press to persuade them to act - or for someone to raise the funds to take legal action, as is being attempted in respect of some boundary zone tickets at the moment.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I don't think an online ticket website is required to be impartial.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
No, I don't think so either. However they do need to be wary of making misleading statements - such as "cheapest", as many sites tend to do nowadays. If a site claims a particular fare or train is "cheapest" when, actually, for whatever reason it isn't (cf @robbeech 's example of the Trainline derivative apps not dealing well with the 16-25 Railcard in the morning hours), it could expose itself to liability.

AnkleBoots

Their booking engine also doesn't seem to offer cheaper 'not via London' routes/tickets and they don't have a 'via' option on the search page so it seems impossible to get the cheaper route you may require.
I am finding the same for trips between London and Sheffield. It's showing Advance tickets for journeys in the middle of the day at >£100 return when Super Off Peak Returns are priced lower (£50 / £80 / £96 depending on route) for those in the know.

AnkleBoots

For a simple point to point journey their site is just about usable but when I couldn't find a way to buy an outboundary Travelcard I queried it with them. Their response was that most of their available routes are for inter city journeys but they may add 'public transport' options in the future. i.e. no way to get the ticket I wanted via their site.
I've seen a strange warning message on their site: "Part of this journey is travelled by public transport.".
But I can't see any methods of non-public transport on their site?!

To get RDG accreditation, the sites would have to comply with the National Rail Journey Planning Systems Code of Practice (used to be called document RSPS1020, probably renamed for RSP -> RDG). This says that a site/app, whether TOC, 3rd party or whatever, is either "impartial" or "dedicated", and if dedicated, the limitations must be displayed clearly to the user. So, it's OK not to be impartial, but you have to say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.