• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do we think the punishment is a bit disproportionate to the crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
However if a customer makes one mistake, or is even merely suspected of such, it can be very serious for the customer.
Passengers who make a mistake should only ever be penalty fares, or asked to purchase a correct ticket. Obviously we are seeing some wrongly given PFs, and that needs addressing. But these are hardly serious outcomes.

Passengers that are being prosecuted are those than have deliberately short fares, or added discounts they were not entitled to.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Passengers who make a mistake should only ever be penalty fares, or asked to purchase a correct ticket. Obviously we are seeing some wrongly given PFs, and that needs addressing. But these are hardly serious outcomes.

Passengers that are being prosecuted are those than have deliberately short fares, or added discounts they were not entitled to.

That may well be true on WMT - anecdotally they seem to use PFs for most irregularities provided the passenger isn't a pain, or so it appeared on that TV documentary a while back and posts on here. But that's by no means universally true. Some TOCs seem to prefer settlements, and some (eg Avanti) aren't even PF TOCs at all.

nw1

Established Member
My personal view is that people shouldn't get away with it, but that I'd not use criminal proceedings, I'd prefer to see a semi-civil, legally backed system similar to Council parking offences, with an independent statutory appeals body. This would use Penalty Fares for enforcement (which are now at a useful level).

Obviously a normal fraud/falsification charge can be used for someone who falsifises a ticket etc, just like they could were it e.g. a gig ticket.

I believe the Byelaw offences should be abolished, and replaced by Penalty Fares. The RoRA offences should remain as they are.

My reasoning is that Byelaw offences don't require intent to fare dodge, and therefore are unnecessarily authoritarian. Threatening someone with court because they boarded without a ticket, fully intending to pay on the train, is (to put it mildly) a bit over the top, whereas a Penalty Fare without any threat of criminal action would still encourage people to buy before boarding.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Passengers who make a mistake should only ever be penalty fares, or asked to purchase a correct ticket.
I agree they should only have such outcomes for mistakes, but sadly that doesn't always happen.
Obviously we are seeing some wrongly given PFs, and that needs addressing. But these are hardly serious outcomes.
I'd like to see other industries try to charge such penalties to customers and see what happens!
If only that was true.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I believe the Byelaw offences should be abolished, and replaced by Penalty Fares. The RoRA offences should remain as they are.

My reasoning is that Byelaw offences don't require intent to fare dodge, and therefore are unnecessarily authoritarian. Threatening someone with court because they boarded without a ticket, fully intending to pay on the train, is (to put it mildly) a bit over the top, whereas a Penalty Fare without any threat of criminal action would still encourage people to buy before boarding.
So when someone walks past an open ticket office, past a TVM and only pays when they get challenged, the only punishment a mere speculative invoice dressed up as a penalty fare where if they decide not to pay it, the only outcome will be a trip to the civil courts?

Will just be like Scotland where Pay only when Challenged is the standard for passengers on routes without barriers

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So when someone walks past an open ticket office, past a TVM and only pays when they get challenged, the only punishment a mere speculative invoice dressed up as a penalty fare where if they decide not to pay it, the only outcome will be a trip to the civil courts?
That's the norm in almost any other business. What do you think would happen to you if you snuck into the cinema? You'd be chucked out and that's about it.

nw1

Established Member
You use the RoRA where you have a strong suspicion that, on the balance of probability, fare dodging is going on.

nanstallon

But the thing is (unless you're incredibly unlucky) you're likely not a first time offender, it just happens to be the first time you've been detected.
The offender is entitled to be treated as a first time offender, unless previous offences can be proved. We cannot assume that there have been previous offences.

Starmill

Veteran Member
ScotRail can easily claim for damages in the local Sheriff Court, if they wish to, against someone who hasn't paid their fare. Furthermore, they are entirely free to refuse travel by either removing someone from a train or denying them boarding if they should have paid but haven't. This really isn't at all controversial or particularly difficult for them to do.

nanstallon

The real problem is the strict liability which reverses the usual element of mens rea (bad intent), which is usually required in a criminal prosecution. I have no objection to tough penalties for those who deliberately evade paying their fare, but too often somebody who inadvertently gets on the wrong train gets hit with a disproportionate penalty for making a mistake - especially when we have such a Byzantine ticketing system, not simply 15p per mile. A system which puts all the cards in the railway's hands is unfair. And there is always the British propensity to go for the low hanging fruit - revenue protection staff don't tackle aggressive 'hard men' who don't bother to buy a ticket at all.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
ScotRail can easily claim for damages in the local Sheriff Court, if they wish to, against someone who hasn't paid their fare. Furthermore, they are entirely free to refuse travel by either removing someone from a train or denying them boarding if they should have paid but haven't. This really isn't at all controversial or particularly difficult for them to do.

And of course they're motivated to have staff on as many trains as possible to make sure any unpaid fares are collected. Thus you have the Strathclyde DOO Agreement rather than just e.g. Chiltern's "the gateline at Marylebone is pretty much the only revenue protection we bother with". (See also Euston for LNR; I've not seen Bletchley gateline in use for a good while).

MCSHF007

Don't be a thief. Pay the correct fare, ensure your railcard is valid (and if a dodger pass the attitude test to any revenue protection staff who pick up on your thieving).

Yes, innocent mistakes can be made (and should be dealt with reasonably) but there's a massive amount of deliberate and premiditated fare evasion going on and I fully support whatever measures (draconian or otherwise) the railway deems appropriate to combat this

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Don't be a thief. Pay the coreect fare, ensure your railcard is valid (and if a dodger pass the attitude test to any revenue protection staff who pick up on your thieving).

Yes, innocent mistakes can be made (and should be dealt with reasonably) but there's a massive amount of deliberate and premiditated fare evasion going on and I fully support whatever measures (draconian or otherwise) the railway deems appropriate to combat this

Even where it catches people out who haven't deliberately evaded a fare, but have made a simple oversight such as forgetting to renew their Railcard that they've held continuously for years?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Even where it catches people out who haven't deliberately evaded a fare, but have made a simple oversight such as forgetting to renew their Railcard that they've held continuously for years?
Isn't that "simple oversight" a bit like a car driver "forgetting" to renew (any or all of) their insurance / MOT / photocard driving licence / vehicle tax, as the case may be, even if only by a day or two?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Isn't that "simple oversight" a bit like a car driver "forgetting" to renew (any or all of) their insurance / MOT / photocard driving licence / vehicle tax, as the case may be, even if only by a day or two?

I suppose in a way it is, however the responsibility factor with motor vehicles is different, particularly where it comes to insurance which exists primarily to compensate others and MoT to ensure the vehicle is safe.

If people are getting huge fines for being a day or two late renewing a photocard licence then I would say that is gross overkill too. (Note that it is just an administrative matter, because the entitlements don't end it isn't "driving without a licence" in law).

Falcon1200

Established Member
It seems likely that evasion will be more prevalent
if there’s less of a deterrent. Are there any figures?

No figures, but a personal anecdote from last week, in Scotland;
First train of the day from my local station, where the ticket office was open and the ticket machine was working. 2 guys get on and sit near me. Ticket Examiner (ATE) comes and they buy single tickets to, and alighted at, the next station; 3 stops and a 10 minute journey from origin. As there are no barriers at either station, had the ATE not come they would have had free rides, despite there being ample opportunity and time to buy tickets before boarding. And who knows how many times they have chanced their arm previously?

matt_world2004

Established Member
I personally think non aggrevated fare evasion should be a civil offence with criminal offences for fare evasion involving violence and fraud

pedr

At the very least I think that non-recordable offences should be automatically spent immediately, for the provisions of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Posters here often tell people this is the case, and perhaps practically speaking many people treat them that way, and do not disclose to future employers etc, but it isn't technically correct.

What would be better would be replacing the bylaw offences with civil liability. It's inappropriate that penalty fares come with a whole range of safeguards which, even if they are imperfect, are based in a clear procedure, while train companies have an effectively unregulated ability to threaten and use criminal proceedings. I would enable any guard/conductor/gateline attendant to submit details which could then lead to a penalty fare being issued by post, as a substitute.

The criminal law does not seem to be acting as a deterrent here - as I think can be seen by how many new posters are entirely shocked at the idea that ticketing errors and even deliberate ticketing wrongdoing could be considered a crime; you can't be deterred by the criminal law if you don't know that what you're considering doing is criminal. So increasing the frequency of issuing of penalty fares so that most people without a ticket on a train are issued one either immediately or by post seems to me to be much more likely to change behaviour.

RJ

Established Member
I was just wondering what people generally think about this? I would have never guessed the severity of the punishment and a lot of people probably don’t, hence the high amount of fare dodging. I’m not saying that I should have been left off scot-free but I think prosecuting first time offenders for £3 is a bit much… especially considering the consequences follow you for a really long time.

Not really. There has to be a deterrent, whatever is in place now isn't enough to encourage everyone to travel with a valid ticket. The UK is already very soft this sort of thing, elsewhere there are much bigger disincentives to risk it.

Ken H

On Moderation
Not really. There has to be a deterrent, whatever is in place now isn't enough to encourage everyone to travel with a valid ticket. The UK is already very soft this sort of thing, elsewhere there are much bigger disincentives to risk it.
And that is proper barrier controls and staff on trains checking tickets (who are not distracted by other stuff, like opening doors). If there is a reasonable chance of getting caught regularly, then you wont fare evade. But UK railways rely on no proper controls and then drop like a ton of hot bricks on ticket irregularity. But that catches confused grannies along with the serial evaders.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The UK (other than Scotland) isn't soft on it at all. In most European countries it's not a criminal matter (unless, in some cases, you do it multiple times), just a penalty fare of typically between EUR50 and EUR100, whcih is a similar magnitude to ours when you consider cost of living. (The present situation of GBP1 ~= EUR1 doesn't reflect cost of living, a more natural rate is 1.5ish).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And that is proper barrier controls and staff on trains checking tickets (who are not distracted by other stuff, like opening doors). If there is a reasonable chance of getting caught regularly, then you wont fare evade. But UK railways rely on no proper controls and then drop like a ton of hot bricks on ticket irregularity. But that catches confused grannies along with the serial evaders.
I do think there is scope for better enforcement but are you seriously suggesting that there should be barrier controls at every single station, throughout all the hours trains are running. That would never be cost effective.

With onboard checks how are you going to check the tickets of every passenger on a busy 12 car class 700 train? It’s not really feasible.

AdamWW

Established Member
First train of the day from my local station, where the ticket office was open and the ticket machine was working. 2 guys get on and sit near me. Ticket Examiner (ATE) comes and they buy single tickets to, and alighted at, the next station; 3 stops and a 10 minute journey from origin. As there are no barriers at either station, had the ATE not come they would have had free rides, despite there being ample opportunity and time to buy tickets before boarding. And who knows how many times they have chanced their arm previously?

Well, if we're trading anecdotes...

Recently on a Southern service a group of well behaved lads, some in first class and some standing in the vestibule, informed the on board supervisor (or whatever they are called) that they didn't have tickets and weren't interested in purchasing any either.

Southern has penalty fares and the ability to prosecute but that clearly didn't affect their behaviour.

I don't know what they would have done if faced with an RPI. Refused to give details or give fake ones, perhaps?

Ken H

On Moderation
I do think there is scope for better enforcement but are you seriously suggesting that there should be barrier controls at every single station, throughout all the hours trains are running. That would never be cost effective.

With onboard checks how are you going to check the tickets of every passenger on a busy 12 car class 700 train? It’s not really feasible.
Maybe we dont. On Brussels metro/trams/buses, which I used a lot when i lived there for a year, no-one checks tickets. Then a posse of ticket inspectors get on and the doors shut. They go therough the train checking every ticket and issue big penalty tickets to those with no ticket. The doors dont open at the next station till they have completed their checks.
But it happened often enough to make ticket fraud likely to be detected. Think I was checked about once every 3 weeks.
They seem to have a similar system on Manchester Metrolink, but I only got inspected on that once (dont use it often).

There again, your 12 car cl 700 would be running in a controlled environment where getting onto the train with no ticket would be difficult, so maybe a horses for courses approach needed.

But if fraud is to be reduced by a lot, then we need a effective deterrent, and that means checking tickets often enough so detection is likely

Ken H

On Moderation
Well, if we're trading anecdotes...

Recently on a Southern service a group of well behaved lads, some in first class and some standing in the vestibule, informed the on board supervisor (or whatever they are called) that they didn't have tickets and weren't interested in purchasing any either.

Southern has penalty fares and the ability to prosecute but that clearly didn't affect their behaviour.

I don't know what they would have done if faced with an RPI. Refused to give details or give fake ones, perhaps?
One for BTP then. Someone who can arrest them and interview them in a controlled place with tape recorders etc under PACE rules.

Established Member
I don't see many getting prosecuted, but realistically there isn't a formal appeals process on out of court settlements. It's the lack of that that is the main problem. People are therefore likely to be paying these to avoid that risk.

Albeit penalty fares are an alternative method of disposal to prosecution, so in that way are a form of out of court settlement.

Sure you can have your day in Court but that can be very risky, particularly if a RoRA charge is hovering over your head.

For things to ever reach that stage you’d likely have engaged in a campaign of deliberate and sustained evasion. It almost certainly wouldn’t be the “prosecuted for a strict liability offence over an innocent mistake” scenario often touted on here, but which basically never happens. I’ve asked for examples several times and none are forthcoming.

It does seem that conduct befitting of the more serious offences is often prosecuted using the lower level strict liability offences. In one respect this is a little lazy, but also leads to better outcomes (in terms of culpability v outcome) for those so charged.

Not an answer to the exact question as posed, but I find it morally objectionable for TOCs to be launching private prosecutions when they themselves are knowingly and willingly breaking laws such as the PRO.

These are two completely unrelated areas. Whether or not TOCs meet their obligations to passengers during disruption has no bearing on the morality of fare dodgers being prosecuted.

In just the same way the fact that a small minority of staff abuse their power, and/or make serious errors of judgement when exercising it, isn’t really an argument against the wider system existing in the first place.

To be honest I see no benefit in anyone being able to prosecute privately, as it makes a mockery of the separation model.

Not sure I can agree with that. Separation of the powers traditionally relates to legislature, executive and judiciary. Who actually brings a prosecution has no bearing on this, indeed we are all free to bring private prosecutions, if we wish!

TOCs employ separation at a local level in the sense that the teams making charging decisions are separate from those undertaking evidence gathering. TOCs don’t make the law, and the cases they bring will end up before exactly the same judiciary as any other criminal case. Several times I’ve asked for evidence on here that prosecutions brought by TOCs are less likely to succeed, or more likely to be thrown out of court than those brought by the CPS, but none has ever been forthcoming.

In any case, is the argument here really against private prosecutions, or is it against prosecutions for these offences being brought at all? I suspect the latter. I doubt those clamouring for a change in the law would be satisfied by a simple transfer of responsibility the CPS!

Like Scotland, they should effectively be banned in England and Wales. If you want private legal redress, sue for damages proportionate to the thing the person has done against you, e.g. for the sum of an unpaid Penalty Fare plus the costs in pursuing it.

I suppose a counter argument here is that, given the public subsidy the railway receives, the cost to the railway isn’t only a private matter; fare evaders are defrauding the taxpayer as much as they are the TOCs.

Logically, where PFs cannot be issued, why on earth would anybody ever buy a ticket in advance? You’d simply pay when challenged on every journey!

This costs the industry a lot of money, and we all know that is in short supply at the moment. Hence my question (still unanswered) upthread, about what affect the proposed change in England and Wales would have on the current cost to the industry!

The criminal law does not seem to be acting as a deterrent here - as I think can be seen by how many new posters are entirely shocked at the idea that ticketing errors and even deliberate ticketing wrongdoing could be considered a crime; you can't be deterred by the criminal law if you don't know that what you're considering doing is criminal. So increasing the frequency of issuing of penalty fares so that most people without a ticket on a train are issued one either immediately or by post seems to me to be much more likely to change behaviour.

Some valid points here. But what’s striking is that the system people on here seem to favour moving to a system where no penalty fares are charged, either.

If TOCs had much less ability to prosecute, and no ability to issue penalty fares, would this type of behaviour become more or less likely in your opinion?

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There again, your 12 car cl 700 would be running in a controlled environment where getting onto the train with no ticket would be difficult, so maybe a horses for courses approach needed.
I don’t know what you mean by a controlled environment but class 700 trains routinely call at unmanned stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The vast majority of journeys have a major city at one end of them, thus by gating major stations you do get most people. It'd perhaps help if Euston and MKC gatelines weren't just left open most days after about 2000 - I certainly have known people refer to the last MKC-Euston back to Bletchley as the "free train" because of this.

It may well not be worth pursuing the local scallies going from Aintree to Walton, or Bletchley to Wolverton, or whatever. Or perhaps you deal with that "pay when challenged" differently - provide the challenge - they're keeping guards, so just have them sell tickets on board, singles only, £1 supplement on top of normal fare*. The Edinburgh trams sort of do that - an on board ticket is £10 - hefty, but you are allowed to choose to pay that way, if e.g. you're in a hurry for your flight - it's an on board standard fare, not a penalty.

* The present fare structure would allow for that without any legislation. Presently other than day tickets Merseyrail only sells Anytime Day Singles or Returns for journeys entirely within their system. Create 8A (unrestricted other than break of journey) Off Peaks at these fares, and increase all the Anytime Day Singles by £1 and Returns by £2. Fare regulation is I guess by Merseytravel who could agree that. I don't think anything says they have to sell through tickets elsewhere on a more normal structure on board.

Albeit penalty fares are an alternative method of disposal to prosecution, so in that way are a form of out of court settlement.

Like Council parking tickets they have a level of statutory appeal, and as such have more protection than a simple settlement. Going to Court is just not an option for most (I know we do have some lovers of litigation here!)

TOCs employ separation at a local level in the sense that the teams making charging decisions are separate from those undertaking evidence gathering. TOCs don’t make the law, and the cases they bring will end up before exactly the same judiciary as any other criminal case. Several times I’ve asked for evidence on here that prosecutions brought by TOCs are less likely to succeed, or more likely to be thrown out of court than those brought by the CPS, but none has ever been forthcoming.

In any case, is the argument here really against private prosecutions, or is it against prosecutions for these offences being brought at all? I suspect the latter. I doubt those clamouring for a change in the law would be satisfied by a simple transfer of responsibility the CPS!

The CPS applies a public interest test. The TOCs don't. Notice how few railway prosecutions there are in Scotland.

What the TOCs want, mostly, to do is to extort a settlement, and make an example of the odd few.

Last edited:

Krokodil

Established Member
Comparisons with supermarkets rarely work in my experience but I would say that while it is a criminal offence to steal a bar of chocolate from a supermarket the chances of the police turning up to such an incident, let alone it getting anywhere near a court are zero.
Never mind a bar of chocolate, you could steal an entire bottle of whisky and expect no resistance. Doesn't make it right of course.

Helps if you have a burly passenger willing to intervene

I personally think non aggrevated fare evasion should be a civil offence with criminal offences for fare evasion involving violence and fraud
Do you also think that someone filling his trolley up with meat or alcohol and simply walking out with it should be a civil matter? Theft is theft, even if some may consider it petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.