• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have any model railway projects on the go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
It’s all trial and error really isn’t it. I’ve made some things I’m really pleased with and other things that I’d like to do again at some point.
I think that the more you do the better you get, but patience is something that I’ve learnt over the years - sometimes it’s worth leaving something for a bit rather than struggling as while you’re doing something else that’s a bit easier a workaround for the problem pops into your head...
I couldn't agree with that more - I've got a couple of bits of my layout where I'd like to go back and have another attempt but there are some bits where I'm very happy with what I've done. I'm currently trying to do as much detail as possible for the shop I'm currently working on as that will make it better in the long run - things such as blinds and curtains in windows (and properly set back from the glazing).

I seem to have random solutions for problems on the layout when I'm not thinking about it: I'll suddenly realise there's a bit of unused space I could fit something I really want to include in, etc. I've actually spent this morning fiddling with the NSE station on my layout, so it now includes two platforms rather than one and what will be a parcels/goods shed (BR Red Star kind of thing), based on an idea I had out of the blue last night! :)

-Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJ_K666

That sounds interesting, small industrial layouts look like quite good fun and there are now plenty of suitable smaller loco's available for such layouts.

I would have thought the weather was always poor on Howling! ;) The buildings are looking good, I've got one of the Hornby barrack room buildings, it's a very versatile range of buildings they have. Including your own home sounds a nice idea, good luck with that one :)
I'm also messing about learning Templot, as it's a perfect project for using hand built track. Masochist? Me? Possibly...

DJ_K666

As the EVIL bus driver, have you ever done a hand brake turn in a DD bus in service?
No but I have wheelspun and got one sideways and skidded about 15feet using the handbrake. All of which were hilarious fun. To do a handbrake turn you need an open space and lots of water, rather like the scene at Chiswick Depot with its skid pan in the first On The Buses movie

reddragon

Established Member
No but I have wheelspun and got one sideways and skidded about 15feet using the handbrake. All of which were hilarious fun. To do a handbrake turn you need an open space and lots of water, rather like the scene at Chiswick Depot with its skid pan in the first On The Buses movie
A popular in service location was Fords Dagenham. The 174/175 services turned in an oily concrete area where this was possible (and done) by drivers. The Titans worked the best!

DJ_K666

Heh the Titans were beasts. We never had any in Brighton as we went straight from VRs to Scanias and Tridents but we did have good locations for skidding (and wrote off a few Alpha Romeos in the process). We had to be careful outside the garage though due to CCTV.

Howling Viaduct update: at long long last my miniature permanent way gang has put down the first ballast, sleepers and rails. More than that they’ve gone to the trouble of painting rust on the rails and chairs and weathered the sleepers.
In the foreground is the former down line which has just been lifted as the line has been ‘singled’ a few years before Dr Beeching wields his axe.
The ballast looks far too pristine so weathering, weeds and some rosebay willow herb are still to be applied.
The E4 will eventually get a number change to 32475!

Attachments

• 9C09895C-41CE-4451-9C4C-58D5F4DCD597.jpeg
    9C09895C-41CE-4451-9C4C-58D5F4DCD597.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
  • B4CD6EC5-9DEE-4D33-8917-FB8841A9423B.jpeg
    B4CD6EC5-9DEE-4D33-8917-FB8841A9423B.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Howling Viaduct update: at long long last my miniature permanent way gang has put down the first ballast, sleepers and rails. More than that they’ve gone to the trouble of painting rust on the rails and chairs and weathered the sleepers.
In the foreground is the former down line which has just been lifted as the line has been ‘singled’ a few years before Dr Beeching wields his axe.
The ballast looks far too pristine so weathering, weeds and some rosebay willow herb are still to be applied.
Looks really good. Thanks for posting the photos.

Iskra

Established Member
Very nice! The lifted line is looking particularly good :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Love the scenery :)

Looking good

Thank you chums. I’m looking forward to section two of the layout which will feature the station, signal box, goods yard and a number of buildings. Hopefully I can start on this in February

reddragon

Established Member
Whilst my S&C viaduct is a good construction, I will not expect tp match your quality of finish! That's good.

Whilst my S&C viaduct is a good construction, I will not expect tp match your quality of finish! That's good.
But your S&C viaduct is on a much grander scale so I've only got a fraction of the brickwork to do in comparison to your masonry!

Iskra

Established Member
Track Weathering

This is probably a stupid question, but I've recently weathered a spare bit of track. I've added it to the end of one of my sidings and sent the Jinty in to test it. The engine stalls and doesn't pick up any power on this section of track.

Is this because:

1) I've overdone it with the weathering spray
2) You still need to clean the rails again after weathering to allow conductivity
3) You need to avoid spraying the fish plates
4) Any other reason?

Peter C

Established Member
Track Weathering

This is probably a stupid question, but I've recently weathered a spare bit of track. I've added it to the end of one of my sidings and sent the Jinty in to test it. The engine stalls and doesn't pick up any power on this section of track.

Is this because:

1) I've overdone it with the weathering spray
2) You still need to clean the rails again after weathering to allow conductivity
3) You need to avoid spraying the fish plates
4) Any other reason?
Has the weathering been applied to the top of the rails? If so, I think you'd need to clean the tops of the rails after weathering to allow for electrical conductivity.

I've never weathered anything before though so I can't speak from experience!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
That would explain it, looking at @32475 's example above, his rails are still clean on top so that's probably why :)

Has the weathering been applied to the top of the rails? If so, I think you'd need to clean the tops of the rails after weathering to allow for electrical conductivity.

I've never weathered anything before though so I can't speak from experience!

-Peter
You should give it a try, I'm doing well with rolling stock now. I've gone from never doing it, to testing it on an old brake van, to doing a few wagons and now I'm on my 4th coach! I find it really relaxing and it makes your stock look better too :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@Iskra - Yes give it a good rub along the top of the rails to get it properly shiny again and I’d even say go slightly over the edges on the inside of the rails (where the wheel flanges run) if it’s still stalling anywhere.
Be very careful if you’re weathering points that you don’t get paint in the contacts. I always mask those bits of the point off and paint them in with a brush afterwards.
Getting paint between the blades is a nightmare!

Iskra

Established Member
@Iskra - Yes give it a good rub along the top of the rails to get it properly shiny again and I’d even say go slightly over the edges on the inside of the rails (where the wheel flanges run) if it’s still stalling anywhere.
Be very careful if you’re weathering points that you do get paint in the contacts. I always mask those bits of the point off and paint them in with a brush afterwards.
Thank you!

Peter C

Established Member
That would explain it, looking at @32475 's example above, his rails are still clean on top so that's probably why :)
It's also more prototypical to have the tops of the rails being shiny, at least on regularly-used track, so it's a win-win!

You should give it a try, I'm doing well with rolling stock now. I've gone from never doing it, to testing it on an old brake van, to doing a few wagons and now I'm on my 4th coach! I find it really relaxing and it makes your stock look better too :)
I might think about weathering some of my stuff at some point but I quite like my engines being 'clean' - I think the colours look quite nice. Simple things for simple people :)

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
It's also more prototypical to have the tops of the rails being shiny, at least on regularly-used track, so it's a win-win!

I might think about weathering some of my stuff at some point but I quite like my engines being 'clean' - I think the colours look quite nice. Simple things for simple people :)

-Peter
Yes, that's very true/

I agree, sometimes loco's can be too nice to weather. There are definitely some I won't be touching :)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Yes, that's very true/

I agree, sometimes loco's can be too nice to weather. There are definitely some I won't be touching :)
I can relate to that, certainly I've no intention of weathering a few choice items, but that's not entirely unprototypical - you do get shiny as soon new pin trains sometimes!

Peter C

Established Member
I saw this a few days ago and completely forgot to post anything. I love the way you're modelling the line when it wasn't at it's best and was on the decline; something I've personally not seen that much. My layout is the opposite of that idea I think!

-Peter

I saw this a few days ago and completely forgot to post anything. I love the way you're modelling the line when it wasn't at it's best and was on the decline; something I've personally not seen that much. My layout is the opposite of that idea I think!

-Peter
Thanks Peter
I’m working hard on the rust, neglect and decrepitude!!

BrettSy96

Today I finally finished converting all of my multiple units to DCC. Only my Hornby class 110 survives from my old layout, the rest had to go.

What I have learnt is only buy DCC ready DMU/EMUs. The old Hornby / Bachmann ones has cost me dear to convert. The class 220 required 3 chips, rewiring and complex programming, cost me more than buying it grr. . . .

That's worth a line up photo!
Here’s three of my favourite in my collection!

Attachments

• C7DBFAF9-2A82-4DA8-8EB7-1AA74F07AA60.jpeg
    C7DBFAF9-2A82-4DA8-8EB7-1AA74F07AA60.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 20

Peter C

Established Member
Here’s three of my favourite in my collection!
They all look really nice - the 91s are some of my favourite engines. I don't know why!
Here's mine to add to the mix. The top of the pantograph (the fancy bit that connects with the wires) is a bit wonky but it's easily put back upright.

91008.jpeg
It's an old Hornby model and came with a DVT and 2 Mk4s in the same livery from eBay for around £60 total late last year. My only criticism of the model is that it doesn't have a coupling on the pointy end to allow for blunt-end running, but it's a fairly small issue and maybe something the new Hornby ones will correct?

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.