• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you have to seek out the guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdc123

Mod Note: I've edited the thread title for clarity.

hi, if i board a train is it my responsibility to go and find the guard or wait for him to come and find me..............:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Entirely depends on your circumstances. For starters, are you boarding at a station which has facilities to buy a ticket?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Interesting thread title. Care to elaborate on what happened?

Majority view on here is that you are not required to seek the guard.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You are not obliged to seek out the guard in general, however there are many other factors affecting the potential outcome. Without more details, we cannot offer accurate analysis and advice.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I would agree with bb21, we cna't offer any more than general observations without more details. But I would also say that you are not obliged to seek out the guard, but in some circumstances it is probably going to be advantageous to do so. However, in many of these instances it is probably advisable to see the guard before boarding the train, if you can.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Would a blanket instruction to seek out the guard or face a penalty be in contravention of the DDA ?

Flamingo

Established Member
As a guard, if a passenger is travelling from a station where there were facilities to buy a ticket and they approache me to buy a ticket as they didn't have time before boarding, I will sell them the full range including group or rail-card discounts.

If I find them sitting there without a ticket, even if they then say they want to buy, then they are trying to fare evade (in my opinion, which is the only one that counts in those circumstances), and they will have to give me a VERY convincing reason that they don't get charged an Anytime single, or referred to Revenue (in the very unlikely event that I have Revenue on board).

In both cases, if appropriate, they will be advised they have potentially committed a criminal offence and could have major problems if Revenue were on board.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I was going to say there isn't such a rule though it is intimated it is by some staff. It is just that some disabled people (for instance someone with metal plate in their spine) may find it difficult to traipse up and down the train to seek out the guard. Most people would look upon a train guard the same way as they would a bus conductor and expect them to come round to collect the fares.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
mattdc123 - there is no requirement to seek a guard when boarding, however the fact you have asked that question (without any context) raises many more questions and rings alarm bells. The top question I am wondering is whether you are 01jtiong. Please contact me urgently via PM to discuss.

I will lock this thread but am happy to re-open it if you can supply more information about the circumstances, and also some assurances that you are not a previously banned member.

Status
Not open for further replies.