• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you like flying scotsman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingScot

Like him or don't, he's the most famous locomotive in the world. But do you like him? Yay or nay? Cool or drool? I'm yes,thank you very much.:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Swift-Deere

It's ok I guess if not a little over-rated

am not a fan of LNER art deco style design

give me the awesomeness of LMS design (Duchess looks big and functional) or the Elegance of GWR design (King look so cool)

Plus Duchesses and Kings are well more powerful than A1's!!!

4SRKT

Established Member
Flying Scotsman's OK, but as any fule no, LMS and GWR express engines are better looking than anything ever designed by Ivatt, Gresley or Peppercorn.

Flyboy

I've never been a fan a steam locos full stop, be it Flying Scotsman, Mallard etc etc. Therefore NO is my answer to the original question.

4SRKT

Established Member
I've never been a fan a steam locos full stop, be it Flying Scotsman, Mallard etc etc. Therefore NO is my answer to the original question.

I grew out of steam locos in my teens. Mind you, I was in my teens in the diesel glory years of the '80s, so there was plenty to interest the enthusiast back then. Now I'm a decrepit old wreck, I've come to mellow out on steam a bit, even going on the odd tour (The RPSI's Steam Enterprise this summer was brilliant).

It's funny how normals think that if you're interested in railways, that must automatically mean steam. Er, no. I was born in 1971. That's three years after steam operations had ended.

Flyboy

....Mind you, I was in my teens in the diesel glory years of the '80s, so there was plenty to interest the enthusiast back then....

.....It's funny how normals think that if you're interested in railways, that must automatically mean steam. Er, no. I was born in 1971. That's three years after steam operations had ended.

Certainly with you on that. Born in '66 but don't think I'll ever succumb to anything steam related. I'm very similar in my aviation tastes and simply can't abide old birds such as Spitfires, Lancasters etc. Give me the jet noise of a Vulcan, Lightening or Phantom any day of the week.

Spartacus

Established Member
I quite like Scotsman, but I wish they'd make up their minds what form it's going to run in. If it's got to have smoke deflectors with the double Kylchap, it needs to be in BR green. If they want it in apple green, get rid of the deflectors and double chimney.

I'm sure that in the 21st century it should be possible to produce something that externally looked like a single blastpipe, but had the steaming effect of something like a double Kylchap without the smoke drifting side effects.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Its too popular and you cant take a decent photgraph without someone barging you out of the way.

I dont think you could take a photo at the moment as its being restored.

I would not take a photo anyway theres enough "Flying Scotsman" pictures everywhere and its not like your going to never see a photo of it plus theres all the aniversary pics,photos,models,decorations of the loco people are trying to sell everywhere!

Drsatan

Established Member
I do like the Flying Scotsman, along with Tornado, the A4 class, and for some reason, the Somerset & Dorset 7F 2-8-0s. I even like the Standard class five.

But for me, nothing can beat an unrebuilt Bullied Pacific for sheer charm and idiosyncracy. And this is despite the fact I'm 18 and thus have no experience of the age of steam:D

4SRKT

Established Member
For me, frankly nothing will ever beat the atmosphere on the Aberystwyth holiday trains in the days of double headed class 37s. You can keep yer kettles, this was pure magic (although the behaviour of the bashers was legendarily bad on these workings).

CosherB

Established Member
Scotsman is only famous for being Scotsman. It does nothing for me, and has no historic significance. It's also a money-pit, and has bankrupted most folk who've ever owned it. I bet it's sucking up a vast amount of the NRM's funds to the detriment of other, more worthwhile projects (like getting 'Hamilton' back into steam).

The Stanier 'Duchess' pacifics are known as 'the ultimate in steam' for a very good reason. No other steam loco had the sustained tractive effort capability of Stanier's masterpiece. The Duchess is also a very good looking engine, unlike Scotsman.

Spartacus

Established Member
Nothing to do with the first proven 100mph or anything like that then.....

As for tractive effort, no, a Gresley A3 can't match a Duchess, but that's not close to being the question here. Could bring up the 8P, P2s or a new A1 about that....

mumrar

Established Member
I'm curious, is the London Midland, the Western or the Eastern engines who keep hassling this bullied pacific. Bullying is not big or clever (and nor apparently is sarcasm, but oh well.....)

Oswyntail

Established Member
If we are talking history, then OK she's cool - ish, because any fool knows Truro was there first. But aesthetically No No No! To look anything proper a boiler MUST be tapered, then there is just the right combination of elegance and power being portrayed (compare rebuilt and unrebuilt Patriots/Scots). And I will grant that Spamcans have an air of the bizarre about them, which excuses the complete lack of visible boiler.
One point made above does make me sad - that anyone can "grow out" of steam. All types of railway motive power have their attractions, even 4-SUBs, and it is not a question of "growing". De gustibus non est disputandum!

CosherB

Established Member
Yep, 100mph - Truro. :D

No loco looks right without a taper boiler. I do have a soft spot for the rebuilt Bulleids - good looking engines if a bit 'light on their feet'. And of course the Duke is magic (now the restorers have given it the performance it should always have had).

But an A3? Nah! Especially one that's a complete money pit. I do hope the NRM watch that budget!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Why dont the NRM just keep The "Flying-Scotsman" like they keep "Mallard" cheaper plus the loco is cheaper to keep and costs nothing as much as it will now to replace its boiler.

The locomotive has had its day and they should just leave it on show like "Mallard".

Status
Not open for further replies.