• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do you take 'unusual' routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony_mac

Established Member
I'm just curious really, about the practicalities of using tickets on 'unusual' routes.
For instance, it seems quite clear to me that a Darlington to Middlesbrough ticket is valid via Newcastle (map ER).
If I try this out, what is likely to happen? I would take the relevant printouts with me, but is it likely to be a lot of hassle?
I've never tried anything like that, so I was hoping to get some idea from those who have.

I suppose you could say that it is depriving the train companies of revenue, but it probably isn't, as I would be using the train more often!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrCub

I have taken some unusual routes before and generally it has been fine, although as you can see from another thread, I sometimes like to have evidence that it is permitted just in case.

Most ticket inspectors, guards, gate barrier type people etc are sadly lacking in much real understanding and knowledge - I don't know what training they receive but then no one could possibly know ALL the complicated rules of the railway's ticketing and route structure. Only routes which seem utterly ridiculous upon first examination raise any significant questions and often clarifying your route (I'm going via xxxxx) usually is enough.

In my quite limited experience, if you have a ticket and are doing the journey, they assume it is valid as they don't know different; if you are questioned, providing them with the most loose detail of how it is valid is usually enough - they don't have the knowledge or cant be bothered to argue - it is not as if you have no ticket at all. And the ones that do know what you are doing are really helpful and polite and have even made suggestions (if you wait until the next one, it goes via XXXX which is a lovely journey etc).

And of course on some routes, I've never seen anyone checking tickets - Thameslink? South West Trains (apart from the very rare travelling penalty fares people/ RPOs)

I'm probably complete wrong on all of this but just sharing my thoughts

me123

Established Member
The only one I've ever done is Edinburgh-CBC or Leuchars-CBC via Falkirk. A quick explanation of the route is always sufficient.

Established Member
Nationalrail once advised me to go via Derby to get to Sheffield from Nottingham

That's a slightly ususual route and it even still gave me the £9.95 ticket option from my local station

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nationalrail once advised me to go via Derby to get to Sheffield from Nottingham

That's a slightly ususual route and it even still gave me the £9.95 ticket option from my local station
Yes that's valid. Also was valid via Loughborough but only East Midlands Parkway now!

A couple of people (at least) did Newcastle to Carlisle via Leeds when it was valid, and both were questioned. One was "let off" (lol!) the other was incorrectly and illegally charged by a guard (why can't we take their details when they act illegally?) he got his money back from Northern though. Unfortunately this alerted NT about the route being valid so they got ATOC to change it about a year later.

me123

Established Member
There's one on the NXEC journey planner for a journey Dalwhinnie-Newtonmore. Via Perth, Aberdeen and Inverness. For only £4.10! :lol: If you got some seat reservations, it could well be an interesting day...

As they share routeing points, it is of course an illegal route and an error in Atos Origin's software. But if they issued reservations, am I right in saying that you would be able to "get away with it"?

ian13

I just usually explain where I'm travelling via when I present the tickets, and have yet to be queried. They just seem keen to get away :P

SuperVoyager

I like to go Plymouth to the north via paddton then euston instead of straight up trugh Birmingham

clagmonster

Established Member
supervoyager said:
I like to go Plymouth to the north via paddton then euston instead of straight up trugh Birmingham
I trust that you are aware that unless you split tickets, that isn't valid for many such journeys.

Last edited:

OwlMan

Established Member
. Unfortunately this alerted NT about the route being valid so they got ATOC to change it about a year later.

(Un)fortunately:lol::lol: they have not altered the routeing guide correctly -the following is still in it:
Carlisle Newcastle GN MM+TP MM+WY+LY+NE NC+MH+TP NE+LY+WY+GM+NW
although Newcastle - Carlisle has been corrected
Newcastle Carlisle GN
But as step 6 of the instructions says
"Because route permissions are the same in both directions of travel you may use the routeing permissions in either direction" you can legally use the long routes in both directions :lol::lol:( just look up Carlisle - Newcastle)

Peter

glynn80

Established Member
(Un)fortunately:lol::lol: they have not altered the routeing guide correctly -the following is still in it:
Carlisle Newcastle GN MM+TP MM+WY+LY+NE NC+MH+TP NE+LY+WY+GM+NW
although Newcastle - Carlisle has been corrected
Newcastle Carlisle GN
But as step 6 of the instructions says
"Because route permissions are the same in both directions of travel you may use the routeing permissions in either direction" you can legally use the long routes in both directions :lol::lol:( just look up Carlisle - Newcastle)

Peter

This is correct and the Carlisle to Newcastle Maps have not been updated in either the online or printed versions.

Another mistake in ATOCs supposedly perfect Routeing Guide!

me123

Established Member
Why don't they just give up with this? It's one of the most pathetic documents I've ever seen; completely impractical and unworkable. As a regular traveller, I should not need to sit down for about an hour to work out if my ticket's valid on a certain route.

tony_mac

Established Member
I've noticed that raileasy seems to be much more flexible with permitted but unusual routes than anyone else. e.g. they do allow Shrewsbury to Worcester via Newport as discussed previously, and will give seat reservations as such (where available).
Shame about the 'admin' fees though!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've noticed that raileasy seems to be much more flexible with permitted but unusual routes than anyone else. e.g. they do allow Shrewsbury to Worcester via Newport as discussed previously, and will give seat reservations as such (where available).
Shame about the 'admin' fees though!

The NXEC system can be VERY flexible if you know what to put into it! ;)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
the only route unusual ive taken is fallen asleep on bromley north to grove park,on new years eve and found when woken up i was at london bridge!

blacknight

I dont actually make the full journey but I save over a fiver a trip, journey Retford to Grantham no Cheap Day Return is available but there's a CDR to Nottingham for 10.80 valid via Grantham & as break of journey is available I always visit the cashpoint on the station front or say need a smoke break:D.
Only tip is to book online so as to get seat reservation incase your route is questioned by Guard.:lol:

devon_metro

Established Member
If its valid, why would the guard question you!

I often use Taunton - Bristol Parkway CDRs valid via Westbury
Taunton - Bristol Parkway CDR @ £10.40
Taunton - Westbury @ £15.20 (not Bristol)

tony_mac

Established Member
Some of the routes in the routeing guide really aren't at all obvious - and if you appear to be heading in the wrong direction then I think it's quite reasonable for a guard to ask.
I'm sure that they deal with more people who have actually made a mistake than who are deliberately taking advantage of 'creative' routeing.

Why would a 'normal' passenger from Darlington to Middlesbrough take a 2-hour round-trip via Newcastle when a 25-minute direct service exists? I am tempted to try this one out next time I'm up there, just to see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.