• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does a photo for an online railcard application have to be a passport photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just more discriminatory rules against older people.I am not allowed to purchase online due to no photo ID, so have to renew my railcard every year at the ticket office at more expense. Given the way things are going l most likely will not need to renew next year. Rail travel becoming to expensive even with a Railcard.
What is it that you believe needs “photo ID”? A photo is just a photo, I don’t believe any railcards need anything more than that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
When I was younger my px for my left eye was -7!!
Ouch

But as I alluded to, when looking at the screen it gives you instructions, and if I remove my spex then I can't read any following ones, just hope the light goes green and I can pass. If it says "turn" or "move closer/away" I've no chance.

If words appear that need reading, I could move closer to read or put my spex back on, but that could be the opposite of what it wants me to do and we're back to square one!
I guess it's a case of hope it works with glasses on. Either that keep them on, read instructions and if it asks to take them off, do so but put them on again if it doesn't open the gates and you need to read a new screen prompt.

Howardh

Established Member
Ouch

I guess it's a case of hope it works with glasses on. Either that keep them on, read instructions and if it asks to take them off, do so but put them on again if it doesn't open the gates and you need to read a new screen prompt.
Being a Brit, I sweat about holding people up behind me!!!

XAM2175

Established Member
As an aside, I sometimes wear spectacles, sometimes contact, and wonder whether my passport/railcard should be witout or with spex? Occasionally my passport hasn't worked at those e-gates 9airports) and wonder if it's because I have them on in my photo but not when I scan myself?
I always thought one had to remove glasses for a passport photo?

Certainly I don't have them on in mine, and the eGates I've used all warned to remove them.
Just looked at mine and yes, no glasses on my pic. Would that be the same for a railcard, if indeed one is necessary for a three-year card?
The reason that photos for actual passports have such exacting specifications is because the photos are used to compile a facial recognition profile that can be used by computers, such as in the e-gates. This includes the shape and size of the eyes, and their position in relation to the other eye, as well as other facial features; and glasses - especially highly-corrective ones - can distort the appearance of the eyes.

However, it is permitted to wear glasses in a passport photograph if you genuinely need to. This is the Government's own wording at the present time:
"Do not wear glasses in your photo unless you have to do so. If you must wear glasses, they cannot be sunglasses or tinted glasses, and you must make sure your eyes are not covered by the frames or any glare, reflection or shadow."

The photo on a Railcard, on the other hand, simply needs to look enough like that you that it satisfies members of railway staff who encounter you using it. It's really not worth getting even slightly concerned about.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just looked at mine and yes, no glasses on my pic. Would that be the same for a railcard, if indeed one is necessary for a three-year card?

Edit, if I remeove my spex @ e-gate then there's no way I can read the instructions if any are flashed in front of me (my px is -5 and - 5.5).

My railcard photo is one of me holding a pint in a pub. Never had anyone comment on it other than ‘thank you’ as I always show it without them asking.

TUC

Established Member
Given how easy it is to take a selfie, and crop photos to meet railcard requirements, it's hard to see how this is an issue.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Given how easy it is to take a selfie, and crop photos to meet railcard requirements, it's hard to see how this is an issue.
You can even easily remove backgrounds from pictures on Apple devices super easily now. From the camera roll.

island

Veteran Member

Edit, if I remeove my spex @ e-gate then there's no way I can read the instructions if any are flashed in front of me (my px is -5 and - 5.5).
Glasses can be worn in a Railcard photo. They are allowed but not recommended in a passport photo, and are disallowed if the frame obscures the eye or there is glare and reflection on the lens.

Some professional photography places that do passport photos will lend you a pair of lens-less frames if you usually wear glasses and want to wear them in your passport photo!

spag23

On Moderation
After struggling to get the size and framing of my wife's passport photo right, I was surprised to see that the application process's software would have done all these adjustments for us. (Given a half decent original!)

TUC

Established Member
Is it just me, or it this thread a classic example of overthinking an issue? Most people I am aware of have used a head and shoulders photo of themselves without agonising over whether they are wearing glasses, and just used their common sense as the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.