• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

does any one no were we can purchase a class 37

Status
Not open for further replies.

virrgo

we are looking to purchase a class 37 is there any about, does anyone no were we should look

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BestWestern

Established Member
Indeed, ex-EWS 37's are still being disposed of on a frequent basis. Bear in mind though that most of them are likely to be knackered and you'll be competing with the scrapmen in a climate where scrap metal is worth a high price. Another avenue worth exploring might be the preservation sector, to establish whether there are any privately owned 'Tractors' sat in heritage line yards awaiting their turn for restoration. You might find a more sympathetic ear from fellow preservationists.

virrgo

Thank you very much, we will go down that avenue, we have been looking for a few weeks.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Do you have somewhere to keep it? What about a reliable funding stream for the ongoing costs?
There are around 46 37s already preserved. Donations to preserve a 47th will be that much harder to get.

theblackwatch

Established Member
All you'll need is a five figure cheque to buy it. Once you've paid that, you'll have to start spending money!

Aictos

Established Member
Do you have somewhere to keep it? What about a reliable funding stream for the ongoing costs?
There are around 46 37s already preserved. Donations to preserve a 47th will be that much harder to get.

46 Class 37s have already been preserved or are in the process of being preserved, name one other class which had such a fanbase to preserve such a large number of the class?

junglejames

Established Member
37s have indeed proved very popular. Obviously a lot to do with how good they are, but im guessing mainly because of how they look, and the sound. They have so much character about them. Oh heck hold on, am i allowed to like both Brush and EE, or is that crossing some divide that i should never dare cross?!!!!

mumrar

Established Member
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are looking to do this and will be writing off to scrapyards etc make sure your letters are written to a high standard. It's the first impression people will get of you so it counts for a lot. I'm not trying to slag you off, but from the errors in the title, I'm just trying to help you get the best shot at what you hope to achieve.

we are looking to purchase a class 37 is there any about, does anyone no were we should look
Do you have 40-45k lying about? Thats what EMR are asking for the ones they've got in at the moment. :roll:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I am sure that list on DBs site is either not been updated or is wrong as I know DRS bought a few Class 37s from them. (37401 being one of them, which is still listed for sale on DBs website)

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Many of these preserved 37's have no chance of a viable future. There is a very finite amount of diesel running available on heritage lines to support them, and only so many people with very deep pockets.

If you don't know where to find a loco, I doubt you will know how to find spares, or to assess whether your chosen project is viable in the first place. You would do Class 37 preservation more good by helping out with one of the more viable examples that has already been purchased, so that you can start to learn some of the necessary skills.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Generally the people with the resources, skills and contacts to be able to restore, maintain or run a locomotive would know where to acquire them.
I don't know anything about the OP but I would suspect you don't have the resources, skills or contacts. As said above lend a hand with one of the restoration groups.

Mysterium

Whats the chance of a scrapman selling you the cabside number cut off a loco destined for the cutters torch?

route:oxford

Established Member
Whats the chance of a scrapman selling you the cabside number cut off a loco destined for the cutters torch?

Every chance.

There are very few merchants of any kind who wouldn't be prepared to sell you something if you offer to pay more than the value and the cost/hassle of undertaking the sale.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Nobody has asked the OP what scale he is looking at

http://www.hornby.com/

Just don't buy a real one. If you need to ask that question, you are certainly not aware enough to own one.

For those who think I am being tight, replace 37 with dog and then come back to me you over emotional ...

Last edited:

Established Member

Booth's at Rotherham have a shipping container full of them. Nice little earner on the side. Add on the wagon makers' plates that are usually still on old rolling stock and there's a few more quid.

virrgo

Thank you for all the replies , we have now managed to purchase a 37 from shenker, it is going back in service on a private site.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Surely there's no way that you could buy one that quickly, especially at the weekend? Especially if you're unable to spell the name of the company you're purchasing from.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Thank you for all the replies , we have now managed to purchase a 37 from shenker, it is going back in service on a private site.

I'll believe it when I see it. It's unlikely considering it's supposed to have happened over a weekend and DB's bidding process will take a lot longer than that.

HugePilchard

Surely there's no way that you could buy one that quickly, especially at the weekend? Especially if you're unable to spell the name of the company you're purchasing from.

Not so!

They've got an eBay account, you know. Got one the other day, very reasonable Buy It Now price. Got stung on the postage, though. And the postman really wasn't happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.