• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does anyone model preserved/heritage lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
In the planning process for a new layout and I am thinking of modelling a preserved line, either in the UK or Germany. Just realised however that I don't think I have ever seen a model of a preserved line in all my years of visiting model railway shows, which surprises me as they offer an incredible amount of modelling potential.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
In modelling circles, preserved railways are usually seen as an excuse to run what you like and thus are not often seriously modelled (i.e. a Pendolino with an A4 and a Western).

When people do try to model preserved railways they often forget the obvious, for example, they create a yard with stock they intend to use, but don't think to add stock which has just been acquired or which is in need of major attention.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
In modelling circles, preserved railways are usually seen as an excuse to run what you like and thus are not often seriously modelled (i.e. a Pendolino with an A4 and a Western).

I thought as much - although oddly many serious modern image layouts at exhibitions are happy to have steam excursion trains running through...

sprinterguy

Established Member
There was a good example of such a preservation era layout featured in Railway Modeller some time ago (Probably about 15 years ago or so), that was based on Great Western practice and the Paignton and Dartmouth Railway in particular IIRC. I can't recall having seen a layout depicting a preserved railway at any exhibitions before, though that doesn't mean that I haven't and have just forgotten.

Additionally, my layout is intended to represent a preserved line: Modelling preserved railways certainly offers a lot of potential and the chance to be less than prototypical with the juxtaposition of different train classes, train formations and other features, but I try to be sensible with it. My layout displays a branch line/industrial ethos, as I find that using smaller locomotives and shorter trains makes a layout seem larger as well as physically maximising what can be done with a limited amount of space. I like to keep the layout "fun" as well, so when I say "smaller locomotives" there are a goodly number of the various budget Hornby 0-4-0 steam and diesel outline locos in amongst the more realistic Pannier Tanks, J94 and Bachmann J72. Mainly as a by-product of being a member of the Hornby Collectors Club for several years: I would never voluntarily have amassed such a large collection of 0-4-0 types otherwise! Trains lengths are typically three carriages (That's the maximum that my bay platform can hold, even though the through platforms are considerably longer), formed of mark 1s or pre-nationalisation stock that is very much au fait with real preserved railway practice. There's also a fair number of the Hornby four wheel carriages, in four or five carriages rakes: Once again, not particularly accurate detail wise but derivatives of the simple four wheel design could be found trundling up rural backwater branch lines and around industrial networks.

Modelling a preserved scene also gives me the opportunity to make use of heritage DMUs now and again: I have a Lima class 101, and intend to get my hands on a 110 and Bachmann 108 in the future. I try to draw the line on the diversity of my rolling stock there: Clearly, a big loco like a "Duchess" or a "Western" would look massively incongruous at the head of just three carriages and navigating some fairly tight curves, but I do fall prey to temptation every now and again: I mean, I do have a "Western" but it only tends to appear to occasionally head my five carriage Pullman rake, which also probably shouldn't be there but I couldn't resist the draw of the current Hornby Pullmans when they were first released, and plenty of preserved railways have a Pullman rake of sorts don't they? :lol: I've also reasoned that since I could never run an A3 or A4 for the reasons I've mentioned above, then surely I could compromise for an example of their smaller but just as attractive cousin, the V2, but I have yet to act on that impulse and that is as far as I would go in the "big loco" stakes, honest. ;) Hey, it's my layout, and I'll do what I want with it! :D

John Webb

Established Member
My own smallish layout is based on a station at a passing loop on a preserved railway somewhere in the south half of England. There is a small goods yard for demonstration freight trains and shunting - the goods shed is where wagons are restored, so there'll be a few distressed wagons about awaiting work on them.
I chose a preserved railway for several reasons, principally so that I could run a mix of locos and rolling stock, secondly I could run a more intensive service than a real branch line would have, thirdly most preserved lines keep locos and rolling stock clean so I wouldn't have to spend hours weathering everything and last, but not least, with a strong interest in signalling I could use trad signalling which many heritage lines have. And all my locos are models of locos which are in preservation, albeit not at the same heritage lines - but of course they do go visiting......

wensley

Established Member
I have a reasonably large 'OO' layout...that may be about to get the chop (but that's another story!), It has a Branch line, running parallel to the main lines into a bay platform. Sometimes I run this section of track as a preserved line, as if the preservation society had connected up with the mainline station. I have a mainline connection to allow visiting locos, but generally run 4-coach trains either of Mk1s or Mk2As, sometimes in mixed formations. I generally run small locos (03s, 08s, 20s, 31s etc) But do have some larger locos (37s, 47s etc) for use on the branch. In addition I have a few steam locos that may 'visit'. The only regular performer is 76079, as preserved on NYMR, for which I also have a custom-sprayed support coach for mainline work. 60163 and 60007 are the regular visitors. I've found, that by having the branch alongside the main it adds interest, allows various shunt moves, but doesn't require a lot of work in depicting rolling stock in varying stages of restoration, which would be essential if modelling a pres line in full. This method of operation also allows for some more interesting loco movements to and from the pres line on the main part of the layout!

I'm currently planning a new (probably smaller) layout and a pres line may well feature...time will tell

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I'm currently planning a new (probably smaller) layout and a pres line may well feature...time will tell

You could always include a preservation centre which would allow static heritage loco displays and movements of them to and fro but without any need for an actual running line. Would take up as much space as a rail connected factory but a lot more interesting.

...thirdly most preserved lines keep locos and rolling stock clean so I wouldn't have to spend hours weathering everything

Ironically one of the main reasons I want to model a preserved line is to be able to model the rows of not-yet-restored coaches and locos that most preserved lines have, potential for some fantastic elaborate weathering detail.

Ironically one of the main reasons I want to model a preserved line is to be able to model the rows of not-yet-restored coaches and locos that most preserved lines have, potential for some fantastic elaborate weathering detail.

and for somewhere to put old battered models! :D

i want to run preserved stock on my modern image layout, so i'm gonna have it like the line between grosmont and whitby. it's on the national rail network, so all the modern stock can run, but a preservation society also runs trains over it, meaning i can use whatever else i like.

wensley

Established Member
You could always include a preservation centre which would allow static heritage loco displays and movements of them to and fro but without any need for an actual running line. Would take up as much space as a rail connected factory but a lot more interesting.

An interesting idea that I've already considered ;) I may give it a try, although a running line, connecting to my mainline station is still my main aim, excuse for a turntable, mainline connection and run round loop. Gives the chance for my larger preserved locos to work 'properly' on load 3 or 4 with Mk1s and Mk2s :D

Status
Not open for further replies.