• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does LU have a problem accepting cash at present or is this a trial?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
And generally children's accounts in UK have cards which won't do contactless (because of Finance laws regarding not giving credit to minors, and as contactless not always checked, avoids any possible overdrawn)
That’s not my experience. I regularly see kids under 10 ‘waving’ their bank cards to pay for things. It’s second nature to them!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
They are chip & sign, or previously swipe and sign

Don't forget that chip cards come in chip-and-signature versions as well as chip-and-PIN versions. In the UK there is a legal right for users to choose to have the former rather than the latter; and some of these don't have a contactless facility. So it's not only swiping where the default is a signature.

Some machines used other than when the seller is present (ie ticket machines, rather than a shop), if they detect a chip-and-signature card, don't prompt for a PIN but also (obviously) don't require a signature. I believe this possibility is less common abroad.

plugwash

Established Member
And I've run across some machines (not rail tickets, but vending machines and car parking) that have a chip slot but no pin pad and just do "chip only" for all chip cards.

bicbasher

Established Member
And I've run across some machines (not rail tickets, but vending machines and car parking) that have a chip slot but no pin pad and just do "chip only" for all chip cards.
Yes, Photo-Me booths do that as well as contactless.

From what I remember, I think Andy Buford wanted to stop accepting cash, being from America where cards are used for everything, but when he left the enthusiasm for the plan left with him. Just a conjecture on my part.

stuu

Established Member
From what I remember, I think Andy Buford wanted to stop accepting cash, being from America where cards are used for everything, but when he left the enthusiasm for the plan left with him. Just a conjecture on my part.
He's not American and cards aren't used for everything there, certainly no more than here

jon81uk

Card and contactless payment is a lot more prevalent in UK and Europe compared to the US where some people still use checks (cheques).

Backroom_boy

Card and contactless payment is a lot more prevalent in UK and Europe compared to the US where some people still use checks (cheques).
Yes I was asked for a signature with my visa debit transaction in Chicago last year.

AFAIK this was down to the Mayor who got some grief after TFL hinted that going cashless would save a lot of money and so City Hall declared that stations will always take cash