• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does this video show a close call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingspanner

Back to the original video. As a rule, the more exclamation marks there are in a caption (in this case 4) the less remarkable is the piece of video.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

malc-c

I would say this picture shows something more interesting than a lack of failure in the interlocking.

Why is this liner directed from its line over the platform line and then back again.
Seems a strange movement.

I was just going to ask the same thing...the back end of the train is still on that line as the front re-joins it....

JN114

Established Member
To allow a parallel move from Platform 3 into Arlington as demonstrated in the video......

malc-c

To allow a parallel move from Platform 3 into Arlington as demonstrated in the video......

If you look at the still image in post #11, the freight is already on that inner RH line at the start of the platform, routing it to the outer RH line (as viewed in the image) and then back on to the inner line makes no sense. The same parallel movement could still occur if the freight remained on the inner line.

Tomnick

Established Member
If you look at the still image in post #11, the freight is already on that inner RH line at the start of the platform, routing it to the outer RH line (as viewed in the image) and then back on to the inner line makes no sense. The same parallel movement could still occur if the freight remained on the inner line.
Had it stopped (in the platform) for a crew change, perhaps?

JN114

Established Member

Ah sorry I thought we were still referring to the near miss. Crew Change, or at least shown in the timetable to have one so the signaller has routed it through platform 2 would be most likely in my book.

EDIT: Tomnick beat me to it.

MarkyT

Established Member
A lot of freight crew changes take place at Eastleigh in both directions. The Up Slow was extended south for about a mile a few years ago, so a long intermodal can pull fully clear much earlier and not be fouling the fast line while a short stop at platform #1 takes place. At the north end of the station. The weave illustrated, from down fast to down slow platform #2 (short stop) then back out onto the fast, can be made in parallel with a north end passenger movement between Down Slow and Platform #3 in either direction. Down Slow and Down Fast are both bidirectional between the station and Allbrook, which is the junction at the north end of Eastleigh yard so there are quite a variety of simultaneous movement possibilities at that end for which the down Freightliner routing shown is sensible.
eastleigh2.jpg

Meerkat

Established Member
Ignoring the technical issues (as a car driver I have braked loads of times for reflections, glints, and optical illusions so don’t see the clip as that weird) I am amused by the grammar.
Almost a near miss? A near near miss?

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
The only other thing that occurs to me - is there possibly an OPPOS gauging restriction on Mark 3 vehicles through that turnout?

LAX54

Established Member
Lots of bluster on here, but to me looks like a simple 'missed DSD' event, not uncommon, (or maybe AWS), or exciting,

MarkyT

Established Member
The only other thing that occurs to me - is there possibly an OPPOS gauging restriction on Mark 3 vehicles through that turnout?
I doubt there's a clearance issue for any regularly used rolling stock in this busy area, and 442s are not exactly unknown in the locale!

Note there's an old double sided SPAD indicator part way through the junction, with white cross covers over the heads. Maybe that spooked the driver if he's not used to them or had a flashback from a past incident.

Bigfoot

and 442s are not exactly unknown in the locale!
Given the number of restrictions that are currently affecting the 442 fleet and reintroduction I wouldn't be suprised if there was a restriction on their speed. Especially if the air suspension is deflated.

MarkyT

Established Member
Given the number of restrictions that are currently affecting the 442 fleet and reintroduction I wouldn't be suprised if there was a restriction on their speed. Especially if the air suspension is deflated.
Fair enough, but I doubt there would be specifically a clearance issue at Eastleigh. I guess transfer movements like this often have all kinds of special restrictions associated with the stock, which may have faults on or are new/heavily rebuilt and are not yet fully signed off for unrestricted network operation.

Sunset route

Established Member
If there are any out of gauge issues which I doubt with class 442s at Eastleigh (but you never know) such as oppos. Then the signaller shouldn’t of offered the route and the driver shouldn’t of accepted the route.

But don’t I believe that to be the case, possibly miss read the route or I like the theory or a missed DSD.

It is indeed a CC stop move.
Knowing that station there really is nothing remarkable about the "near miss" at all. Its a common movement, the interlocking is, and can be seen to be working, there is clearance for the move.
I imagine the drive, as has been suggested, misread the situation and decided to stop.

The most remarkable thing is the strange move of the Freightliner.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
My two pennorth? The 47 driver suddenly wondered if he was supposed to be heading for the works, or the depot... :D

Whatever, I’ve watched similar parallel moves there many times over the years. I reckon the video caption suggesting some sort of collision risk is completely unnecessary.

Amlag

My two pennorth? The 47 driver suddenly wondered if he was supposed to be heading for the works, or the depot... :D

Whatever, I’ve watched similar parallel moves there many times over the years. I reckon the video caption suggesting some sort of collision risk is completely unnecessary.

Possibly he got up / reached over for something eg his kit bag or Mug of tea etc and the DSD kicked in. I have known it happen when cab riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.