• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does TrainSplit look at splitting where a change of train is required

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ediswan

Established Member
Upcoming trip: Stevenage(SVG) to Stockport(SPT), changing at Doncaster(DON).

Through tickets offered no useful splits. TrainSplit came up with one modest option. Then I looked manually at separate tickets SVG-DON and DON-SPT. Much better. Advances available on all legs, including a particularly good £11:50 for the 07:28 SVG->DON.

Did I miss something when using TrainSplit, or does it only look at splits where you stay on the same train ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
The issue is that the 0728 from Stevenage connects into the same train at Doncaster as the 0755 from Stevenage. So I think the TrainSplit engine will dismiss the 0728 option because it is slower before it even gets as far as considering fares.

najaB

Veteran Member
Did I miss something when using TrainSplit, or does it only look at splits where you stay on the same train ?
No, you didn't miss anything. Trainsplit's algorithm first plans the journey using a third-party's journey planner and then looks for the best fares for the itineraries it's given.

The journey planner that they use isn't great and so misses some valid journey opportunities. We have been promised though that the journey planner currently in beta testing is much better so expect big changes in the near future.

Ediswan

Established Member
The issue is that the 0728 from Stevenage connects into the same train at Doncaster as the 0755 from Stevenage. So I think the TrainSplit engine will dismiss the 0728 option because it is slower before it even gets as far as considering fares.

Thanks. The stopover at Doncaster is when I plan to get breakfast. If anybody has any suggestions of where to eat, please pass them on.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks. The stopover at Doncaster is when I plan to get breakfast. If anybody has any suggestions of where to eat, please pass them on.

The Mallard in the shopping centre right next to the station does a decent breakfast for not too much money. They don't seem to have a breakfast menu on their website. There's also a McDonalds not to far from the station (say five minutes walk) or a Weatherspoons maybe ten minutes walk away.

sheff1

Established Member
If anybody has any suggestions of where to eat, please pass them on.

If you want a good old fashioned fry up go to the Tuck Inn Cafe, 82 St Sepulchre Gate - 2 mins walk from the station (straight ahead across the drop off car park NOT via the Frenchgate Centre)

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
The OP said they wanted breakfast (i.e. an edible morning meal) ;)
Hey! You can say what you want about the rest of the day meal, but leave the double sausage and egg McMuffin out of it. <(

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
From what I recall, there's a WIMPY upstairs in Frenchgate.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Upcoming trip: Stevenage(SVG) to Stockport(SPT), changing at Doncaster(DON).

Through tickets offered no useful splits. TrainSplit came up with one modest option. Then I looked manually at separate tickets SVG-DON and DON-SPT. Much better. Advances available on all legs, including a particularly good £11:50 for the 07:28 SVG->DON.

It's unclear what total fare you found, or what date, so it is difficult to compare, but a random search for Wed 15 March found a fare of £27.75 with a split at Retford on the new version of Trainsplit, to be launched soon.

The current live version of Trainsplit is limited by the booking engine it uses.

No, it doesn't just look at splits where you stay on the same train.

Romilly

Established Member

But you can get around this by using Trainsplit's advance options: try putting "Doncaster" in the "Stop at" box, and "31" in the "Minimum change time (mins)" box.

Ediswan

Established Member
It's unclear what total fare you found, or what date, so it is difficult to compare, but a random search for Wed 15 March found a fare of £27.75 with a split at Retford on the new version of Trainsplit, to be launched soon.

The current live version of Trainsplit is limited by the booking engine it uses.

No, it doesn't just look at splits where you stay on the same train.

The fares I found were £20:50 out (£11:50+£9.00), about £40 back.

And, thanks for a direct answer to the original question. I had not appreciated that TrainSplit works with data that has already been 'optimised' for total journey time.

Status
Not open for further replies.