• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dogbox vice HST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tbtc

Veteran Member
...and this is why modern nicknames are a problem because nobody can agree on what to call a class of train (compared to the Good Old Days, when you knew what a Peak etc was)

...and this is why modern nicknames are a problem because nobody can agree on what to call a class of train (compared to the Good Old Days, when you knew what a Peak etc was)

What about 444's? Widely known to be nicknamed by drivers as a..a..a..arkrights! (After Ronnie Barkers charactor in open all hours). Or pendolino's, Voyagers or Turbostars for that matter. Especcially the former.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A class 153 is nicknamed a scateboard around here! Bubblecar is also acceptable.

I've only ever known a 153 to be called a dogbox, although I'm not sure why!

Bubblecars are also the names given to Class 121s; I know for a fact that the Arriva 121 (121032) that works the Cardiff Bay shuttles is called Bubbles!!

34D

Established Member

Not just a modern phenomenon. Class 08 shunters gronk/pilot/350 class 37 tractor/syphon class 89 anteater/avocet

tbtc

Veteran Member
What about 444's? Widely known to be nicknamed by drivers as a..a..a..arkrights! (After Ronnie Barkers charactor in open all hours). Or pendolino's, Voyagers or Turbostars for that matter. Especcially the former.

Something like "Voyager" is fine - everyone knows what one is without any explanation (and there's no "other" name for them*).

(* - well, no polite one anyhow!)

Pumbaa

Established Member
Or pendolino's, Voyagers or Turbostars for that matter. Especcially the former.

Those are product names though, not 'nicknames'. Arkwrights are a nickname. For example, a 175 has the nickname 'hippo' but using your example of product name we'd call it Coradia.

And for completeness, alternative nicknames for the products you've aforementioned include bendydildos, vomiters and turdostars.

Zoe

Established Member
Will be interesting to see if 390s get a nickname if another class of Pendolino is ever introduced. Right now people seem to be happy using the official name for the stock as 390s are the only Pendolino stock on the network.

Eagle

Established Member
Will be interesting to see if 390s get a nickname if another class of Pendolino is ever introduced. Right now people seem to be happy using the official name for the stock as 390s are the only Pendolino stock on the network.

But then people seem happy to use Turbostar, despite that spanning three classes, or even Networker to mean any of 165, 166, 365, 465, 466.

And to use Voyager to mean 221 (but never 222) even though only the 220s are officially Voyagers.

Zoe

Established Member
But then people seem happy to use Turbostar, despite that spanning three classes, or even Networker to mean any of 165, 166, 365, 465, 466.
Yes but they do at least look similar. This wouldn't automatically be the case for any new Pendolino class. Don't forget Pendolino trains existed before the 390 and some looked quite different.

222s although related to Voyagers not referred to as them.

Last edited:

Roylang

Are they not already getting referred to as Dildos by some?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Not just a modern phenomenon. Class 08 shunters gronk/pilot/350 class 37 tractor/syphon class 89 anteater/avocet

Not sure the Avocet was ever a nickname for the 89 as it was its offical name as seen here http://s880.photobucket.com/albums/...current=le890012605902.jpg&mediafilter=images

Roy

Last edited:

starrymarkb

Established Member
I love the pedantry in this thread...

It's a bit like Javelin, some enthusiasts hate the 395s being called that!

As for the Euro-Pendo - This is a 1990s model - notice the small windows ;) (to counter the myth that Branson wanted small windows)

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I love the pedantry in this thread...

It's a bit like Javelin, some enthusiasts hate the 395s being called that!

As for the Euro-Pendo - This is a 1990s model - notice the small windows ;) (to counter the myth that Branson wanted small windows)

Pendos all have small windows, I think its some sort of aesthetic thing Fiat have.
Either way, I like the continental Pendos more than the Cl390s because they don't have wierd faux-organic curves.

Flywaver

Oh well. I was only asking if it was true. Ended being x2 153. In Anglia Traincrew called them Scuds in the early 90s but Dogbox has seemed to have stuck nowadays

starrymarkb

Established Member
I know the reason :) The body structure the windows fit between longitudinal ribs, it makes the body very strong for its weight

Michael.Y

Established Member
I know the reason :) The body structure the windows fit between longitudinal ribs, it makes the body very strong for its weight

Exactly, something cited by Branson as being one of the primary safety factors in the Grayrigg crash. He described them as being "built like tanks".

2Dogbox

It's definitely dogbox round here. Most of our diagrams involve working at least one dogbox a day, and my favourite, 2 dogbox joined together.

Heard them called Burger Vans by a few people I know in the West Midlands.

Status
Not open for further replies.