• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dogs on the Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skie

I see dogs all the time on Merseyrail. Never known it to be a problem, even on a rammed train as owners tend to protect them by standing in the bike/pram/wheelchair space or wedging them between seats where they can get all the pets passengers can muster.

But as other posters have said the network is quite largely trouble free and scrotes with dogs tend to walk them through parks. Wouldn’t be fun to be on a tram with an aggressive dog whose owner is utterly indifferent to its behaviour given all of the other issues.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
So it looks like they're running another trial for dogs on the Metrolink https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...r-news/pet-dogs-allowed-on-metrolink-24554189

Pet dogs will be allowed on board Metrolink trams as part of a three-month trial due to launch next month, transport bosses announced today. It means people's pooches will get to ride supervised for the first time in the network's 30-year history.

I'm certainly not going complain about it, since, as my profile picture might imply, I do a lot of travelling with my pet dog.

Gathursty

Established Member
I forgot I made this thread until I saw the article about the trial pop up in my social media.

AY1975

Established Member
There doesn't appear to be anything about it on the TfGM website yet even though the trial starts in just over a week's time.

AY1975

Established Member
They did, however, tweet about it today.
They did indeed, and in fact there is also this (hard to find) page on the TfGM website: https://tfgm.com/dogs-on-trams

It says there will be an online survey linked from that page from 1st August when the trial starts, though I don't know whether all Metrolink users or only Greater Manchester residents will be able to take part in the survey.

Here's hoping that the other UK light rail systems that don't currently allow non-assistance dogs (Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham, though Nottingham does allow small dogs and other small pets as long as they are in pet carriers) will observe this trial with interest and maybe consider following suit.

Wolfie

Established Member
They did indeed, and in fact there is also this (hard to find) page on the TfGM website: https://tfgm.com/dogs-on-trams

It says there will be an online survey linked from that page from 1st August when the trial starts, though I don't know whether all Metrolink users or only Greater Manchester residents will be able to take part in the survey.

Here's hoping that the other UK light rail systems that don't currently allow non-assistance dogs (Sheffield, Nottingham and Birmingham, though Nottingham does allow small dogs and other small pets as long as they are in pet carriers) will observe this trial with interest and maybe consider following suit.
Re your last para l have to say, having a friend with a dog allergy, that l certainly hope that they do not.

Towers

Established Member
Re your last para l have to say, having a friend with a dog allergy, that l certainly hope that they do not.
There are folk out there with all sorts of allergies, the rest of society cannot really be, and generally isn't, expected to make exceptions for it. If your friend had a peanut allergy for example, which in some cases can be incredibly dangerous, no doubt they would simply make efforts to ensure that they stay away from them when out & about, rather than expecting everybody else not to have them. It shouldn't be overly difficult to stay a comfortable distance away from a dog while travelling on something the size of a tram, and banning them from an urban public transport system in this day & age is just daft (although not as daft as banning food & drink).

Wolfie

Established Member
There are folk out there with all sorts of allergies, the rest of society cannot really be, and generally isn't, expected to make exceptions for it. If your friend had a peanut allergy for example, which in some cases can be incredibly dangerous, no doubt they would simply make efforts to ensure that they stay away from them when out & about, rather than expecting everybody else not to have them. It shouldn't be overly difficult to stay a comfortable distance away from a dog while travelling on something the size of a tram, and banning them from an urban public transport system in this day & age is just daft (although not as daft as banning food & drink).
Many urban transport systems overseas ban food and drink. In my view that isn't a bad idea at all. Frankly public transport is for the public, not for their mutts. Except for assistance dogs there should be an outright ban. For good reasons, dating back to a vile terrier, which ended up being put down, attacking me as a toddler, I don't like dogs. l certainly don't want some mangy cur slobbering all over me while their deluded doting owner tries to tell me its being friendly. If l could vote one species for extinction.....

Towers

Established Member
Many urban transport systems overseas ban food and drink. In my view that isn't a bad idea at all. Frankly public transport is for the public, not for their mutts. Except for assistance dogs there should be an outright ban. For good reasons, dating back to a vile terrier, which ended up being put down, attacking me as a toddler, I don't like dogs. l certainly don't want some mangy cur slobbering all over me while their deluded doting owner tries to tell me its being friendly. If l could vote one species for extinction.....
I'd rather a dog than some of the human 'animals' that frequent public transport systems the world over. I've not ridden Metrolink for many years, but I'd be amazed if it isn't awash with the same loud, drunken, obnoxious types, stinking of weed and intimidating (intentionally or not) other folk trying to mind their own business, that appear on trains and other transport systems with depressing regularity. And, much as everywhere else, I imagine there is neither the manpower, the money or the inclination to do anything effective about it? Which just makes banning dogs even more out of touch and silly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd rather a dog than some of the human 'animals' that frequent public transport systems the world over. I've not ridden Metrolink for many years, but I'd be amazed if it isn't awash with the same loud, drunken, obnoxious types, stinking of weed and intimidating (intentionally or not) other folk trying to mind their own business, that appear on trains and other transport systems with depressing regularity. And, much as everywhere else, I imagine there is neither the manpower, the money or the inclination to do anything effective about it? Which just makes banning dogs even more out of touch and silly.

While I am in favour of dogs being allowed on all public transport (because if we are serious about people giving up cars, it needs to be possible to use public transport for all daily transport needs, including taking pets places) unfortunately many such "undesirables" will come with aggressive, poorly controlled dogs.

Towers

Established Member
While I am in favour of dogs being allowed on all public transport (because if we are serious about people giving up cars, it needs to be possible to use public transport for all daily transport needs, including taking pets places) unfortunately many such "undesirables" will come with aggressive, poorly controlled dogs.
Possibly so, but that I would suggest gives weight to the argument for a proper, effective staffing presence to deal with the issue, rather than a draconian and poorly targeted ban!

randyrippley

Established Member
What do you think about wolves?

AM9

Veteran Member
Bit of a daft question. Wolves are only likely to exist as wild animals, whereas dogs are mostly basically pack hunting wild animals that have been partially domesticated and some people choose to bring into the human environment.

randyrippley

Established Member
Bit of a daft question. Wolves are only likely to exist as wild animals, whereas dogs are mostly basically pack hunting wild animals that have been partially domesticated and some people choose to bring into the human environment.
Look at the name of the poster I'm replying to. I'm not convinced he's being serious

AM9

Veteran Member
Look at the name of the poster I'm replying to. I'm not convinced he's being serious
Members of RUK choose usernames to be unique. I suppose that your moniker could be equally frivolous.
I was referring to the stupid irrelevant question being asked.

Wolfie

Established Member
The animals, nah. The team - l love them, lol...

What is your view on aliens?

Actually l'm afraid, based on the terrier incident followed by a German shepherd ripping a canvas sack off my shoulder when l was delivering papers, that l'm deadly serious. I really do not like dogs.

jumble

Well fortunately for me what you think/believe does not matter
I have just as much right to live and to travel on public transport as you do
I do not slobber on people
I do not attack people
I provide a great deal of pleasure on public transport as 3 or 4 people make a fuss of me on almost every trip on the tube
I can easily read human body language and do not try to engage if I detect that people do not like dogs
I am not allowed to approach until given permission
Regards
Summer the Cocker Spaniel

AM9

Veteran Member
I do not attack people
I provide a great deal of pleasure on public transport as 3 or 4 people make a fuss of me on almost every trip on the tube
I can easily read human body language and do not try to engage if I detect that people do not like dogs
Regards
Other behaviour is available from the dog population. Just as not all human passengers are honest (or dishonest).

oxfordray1

I do not attack people
Regards
I hope to see you soon on the Metrolink Summer.

Regards

Poppy the Springer Spaniel

Established Member

Blimey. Next time please tell us what you really think!

I have to say I’ve encountered far more disgustingly behaved and vile humans than dogs on public transport. A badly behaved dog is invariably the fault of a poorly behaved owner. Perhaps if the owners of these dogs were put down rather than their pets we would see an improvement in behaviour!

:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.