• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Donald Trump and the aftermath of his presidency

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Slightly struggling to keep my breakfast down as the red carpet is rolled out to welcome Trump this morning.
Should be an ‘interesting’ week...
You got there just before I did

We need to make sure that he is not welcome here. It is our time to stand up for our country, the very pinnacle of what it means to be British is under threat. I'm sure the public are very eager to find out how their money has been spent.

He will be in Portsmouth on Wednesday. I'm thinking of joining the milkshake throwing brigade

His throwaway comments about Sadique Khan before he even landed will not go down well. Not a good start at all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ilkestonian

I see he has already decided to insult his hosts with a couple of childish tweets even as he was preparing to land.

Clearly more stung by criticism than thinking about the honour of a state visit being bestowed on him.

I feel sorry for all our Royal family and even for our politicians, who have to pretend to like the ignorant criminal and would be dictator.

And as for Trump looking forward to being a great friend to the United Kingdom, I don't think I'll be holding my breath waiting for that. To him, a friend is just someone who is prepared to lick his @rse whilst he fleeces them...

Bantamzen

Established Member
Slightly struggling to keep my breakfast down as the red carpet is rolled out to welcome Trump this morning.
Should be an ‘interesting’ week...

Was it just me, or did Trump look a bit pensive getting off Airforce One? Perhaps he is worried that a visit to Buckingham Palace will lead to a trip to The Tower...? ;)

ilkestonian

Was it just me, or did Trump look a bit pensive getting off Airforce One? Perhaps he is worried that a visit to Buckingham Palace will lead to a trip to The Tower...? ;)
Not seen it yet (no intention of winding myself up any more than necessary - watching the news wil be more than enough!) but it's more likey his apparent fear of stairs, at a guess. But I do like the thought of him being incarcerated for insulting the Queen, as he is more than likely to, even if it's only by trying to push her out of the way or push in front of her as he seemed to try on his last visit

najaB

Veteran Member
As far as I'm concerned the red carpet, etc. is for the President of the United States. The fact that the current office-holder is a complete and total buffoon is unfortunate.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I really think people should focus more on why he got elected in the first place and how to prevent a similar lurch to the reactionary far right leading to an utter **** as prime minister here.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I really think people should focus more on why he got elected in the first place and how to prevent a similar lurch to the reactionary far right leading to an utter **** as prime minister here.

People in the US need to figure out how they were left with Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump as the two candidates. I believe Trump is the lesser of two evils in that respect

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As far as I'm concerned the red carpet, etc. is for the President of the United States. The fact that the current office-holder is a complete and total buffoon is unfortunate.

Is the correct answer. The office deserves respect even if the incumbent does not.

People in the US need to figure out how they were left with Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump as the two candidates. I believe Trump is the lesser of two evils in that respect

Aye aye. Whatever! How on earth do you work that out? The man is a total moron, lacks any form of morals and is someone who has massively undermined the reputation of the USA on the world stage.

The other had an email account.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is true, and that’s what I’m holding onto as well.

Geezertronic

Established Member
Aye aye. Whatever! How on earth do you work that out? The man is a total moron, lacks any form of morals and is someone who has massively undermined the reputation of the USA on the world stage.

The other had an email account.

I think you need to do a bit more research than "the other had an email account" if that is all you have to say about Clinton. However I agree on your opinion of Trump

433N

As far as I'm concerned the red carpet, etc. is for the President of the United States.

... the same protocol that dictates a red carpet also dictates that the President of the United States does not interfere in the host country's politics minutes before touchdown. The minute he/she does, it's game on.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Is the correct answer. The office deserves respect even if the incumbent does not.

I agree but good lord is it hard to keep that in mind when the incumbent is so odious.

greyman42

Established Member
The UK has welcomed unpleasant leaders from other countries in recent times so I am not sure why there is so much fuss about Trump.

DerekC

Established Member
The question is why, oh why did TM invite him? Once she did, the need to roll out the red carpet, show respect to the office etc etc becomes inevitable, and it's costing us umpteen million to put on a vote-catching exercise for his re-election.

WestRiding

I see he has already decided to insult his hosts with a couple of childish tweets even as he was preparing to land.

Clearly more stung by criticism than thinking about the honour of a state visit being bestowed on him.

I feel sorry for all our Royal family and even for our politicians, who have to pretend to like the ignorant criminal and would be dictator.

And as for Trump looking forward to being a great friend to the United Kingdom, I don't think I'll be holding my breath waiting for that. To him, a friend is just someone who is prepared to lick his @rse whilst he fleeces them...
How do you know the Royals dont like Trump? Good mates with them are you?

Dave1987

On Moderation
TM dived over to the US as soon as she could once Trump was inaugurated. She was desperate to attempt to put in place the foundations of a trade deal with the US as the Tories seemingly have an intense hatred of the EU and would much rather have closer ties with the US. This is despite the fact that the UK has nothing to offer the US apart from access to the NHS. Trump is engaged in a trade war with far far bigger economies than the UK and is putting in place protectionist policies. American healthcare companies having been trying to muscle in on the NHS for a very long time. The US Ambassador was quoted in saying that any trade deal with the US would have to involve allowing US healthcare access to the NHS. If that ever happens I believe you can kiss goodbye to your treatment free at the point of service within a decade. Pricking Trumps ego with a state visit that is costing the UK taxpayer serious amounts of money isn't going to result in a great trade for the UK post Brexit. Not unless the NHS is sold to the Americans.

Dave1987

On Moderation
The UK has welcomed unpleasant leaders from other countries in recent times so I am not sure why there is so much fuss about Trump.

Because Trump currently holds an office that is respected around the world but he shows no respect to it. He totally disrespects the great office he holds so he does not deserve the pomp and ceremony of a state visit. If he actually respected the office he holds then maybe people would afford him more respect during a visit like this.

najaB

Veteran Member
The question is why, oh why did TM invite him?
The real question is why did she offer a state rather than official visit. It's rare (unknown?) for a US President to get a state visit so early in their term.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The real question is why did she offer a state rather than official visit. It's rare (unknown?) for a US President to get a state visit so early in their term.

Not even Ronald Regan, so loved by Thatcher, was given a full state visit. One can only assume TM is toadying to the loony right in the Tory party (not that it did her much good).

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Found on Facebook:

Someone asked "Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?"

Nate White, a writer from England, wrote this magnificent response:

"A few things spring to mind.

Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem.

For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace - all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed.

So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing - not once, ever.

I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility - for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman.

But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is - his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers.

And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults - he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

There is never any under-layer of irony, complexity, nuance or depth. It’s all surface.

Some Americans might see this as refreshingly upfront.

Well, we don’t. We see it as having no inner world, no soul.

And in Britain we traditionally side with David, not Goliath. All our heroes are plucky underdogs: Robin Hood, Dick Whittington, Oliver Twist.

Trump is neither plucky, nor an underdog. He is the exact opposite of that.

He’s not even a spoiled rich boy, or a greedy fat cat.

He’s more a fat white slug. A Jabba the Hutt of privilege.

And worse, he is that most unforgivable of all things to the British: a bully.

That is, except when he is among bullies; then he suddenly transforms into a snivelling sidekick instead.

There are unspoken rules to this stuff - the Queensberry rules of basic decency - and he breaks them all. He punches downwards - which a gentleman should, would, could never do - and every blow he aims is below the belt. He particularly likes to kick the vulnerable or voiceless - and he kicks them when they are down.

So the fact that a significant minority - perhaps a third - of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think 'Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people, given that:
* Americans are supposed to be nicer than us, and mostly are.
* You don't need a particularly keen eye for detail to spot a few flaws in the man.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss.

After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form; he is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of ****. His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws - he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

'My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a **** was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set."

It's all well and good preaching to the converted but the reality is that a sizeable number of the British electorate would probably vote for him too given the choice. It's the attitude of a disgruntled populace that needs to be addressed - Trump is just a manifestation of those underlying ills.

nlogax

Established Member

UK government chasing that mirage of a post-Brexit trade deal and stroking Trump's edema of an ego in order to secure it? Just a hunch.

TheEdge

Established Member
It's all well and good preaching to the converted but the reality is that a sizeable number of the British electorate would probably vote for him too given the choice. It's the attitude of a disgruntled populace that needs to be addressed - Trump is just a manifestation of those underlying ills.

This is something that's continually ignored. Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

WestRiding

I know they are human and of reasonable intelligence. That's enough, as most people realise.
As most people realise.... I suppose thats an easy assumption to make on a clearly left opinionated forum. People do forget though that there is a hell of a lot of support for him out there in the real world too. He speaks what a lot of people think, and because he has the balls to do that, people feel the need to float a childish blimp around london in some sort of pathetic argument. If Clinton had won, we would be in the middle of a world war. She was a warmonger.

najaB

Veteran Member
Trump is the symptom, not the disease.
He's a disease too.

Did anyone else think that The Queen's toast was quite well phrased? No praise for Trump at all - paraphrased it was "The UK/USA relationship will last, you won't."

najaB

Veteran Member
People do forget though that there is a hell of a lot of support for him out there in the real world too.
There is a very vocal minority who genuinely support him, and a larger group who liked the idea of a disruption to business as usual.

433N

As most people realise.... I suppose thats an easy assumption to make on a clearly left opinionated forum. People do forget though that there is a hell of a lot of support for him out there in the real world too. He speaks what a lot of people think, and because he has the balls to do that, people feel the need to float a childish blimp around london in some sort of pathetic argument.

One worry for the future is that the internet provides the medium for alot of noise and people forget history. The past is littered with people who have alot of support who 'have the balls' (i.e. no regard for the effect that there words have) to speak what alot of people think. Have you ever seen newsreel footage of Hitler ? Do you know how and why he came to power ? Preaching hate is easy votes when people have been squeezed and squeezed to breaking point. Divide and rule ; oldest trick in the book and people still fall for it. This is the 'real world'.

To try to say that this is a 'left opinionated' forum is nonsense ... it is a forum for rail enthusiasts. It is only 'left opinionated' because you choose to see it that way.

If Clinton had won, we would be in the middle of a world war. She was a warmonger.

Speculative rubbish.

nlogax

Established Member
He speaks what a lot of people think, and because he has the balls to do that, people feel the need to float a childish blimp around london in some sort of pathetic argument.

You've mistaken crass stupidity and ignorance for balls.

If Clinton had won, we would be in the middle of a world war. She was a warmonger.

Nope. Try again.