• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dortmund

Status
Not open for further replies.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Will be in Dortmund from 8-11 Nov and was wondering what the cheapest public transport card would be for the period. I seem to remember hearing that there was some sort of regional railcard which gave you travel in that area for a period. I will try and get to Wuppertal whilst I am there for the suspension railway but any other nearby attractions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blackfive460

Last edited:

another smith

Will be in Dortmund from 8-11 Nov and was wondering what the cheapest public transport card would be for the period. I seem to remember hearing that there was some sort of regional railcard which gave you travel in that area for a period. I will try and get to Wuppertal whilst I am there for the suspension railway but any other nearby attractions?

Well if you like football, Borussia Dortmund are playing at home against Gladbach on the 9th!

If you want to learn more about the industrial history of the region, the former Zollverein mining complex is worth a visit, the nearest station is Essen.

duesselmartin

Established Member
there are also small surprises like the medieval town centre of Hattingen, or the country side in the Sauerland mountains (ie Winterberg) are easy to reach from Dortmund.
Dortmund itself has the Phönix lake, an artifical lake for recreation.
The Railway Museum at Bochum-Dalhausen is also still open until Nov.17th

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I have been to Bochum before a few years ago for a Plandampf. Loved that rail car. Unfortunately Gladbach have taken up their full allocation so tickets for that match are only going on sale to members. Very annoying as am staying right by the stadium- is it worth risking it with touts?

Status
Not open for further replies.