• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Double track - single platform on one side

Status
Not open for further replies.

All have the barrier in this arangement of station, namely, Ibrox(is bouncing on matchdays!) Hilllhead(trendy part of town) and Buchanan Street (heart of the City's shopping area). Partick, Govan and St Enoch all have platforms on both sides, with supporting pillars where the platform used to be pre-1980 renovations. All the rest are island platforms so for obvious reasons barriers can not exist at these stations.

It would make sense to put the barriers with doors at island platforms like what the Jubilee Line post '99 has, as some platforms in Glasgow are alarmingly narrow, and can be hairy when its busy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Battersby, a tiny village in North Yorkshire with a terminal station served by 2 branches, one to the east and one to the west. There's 2 lines through the station so that locos can run round their stock.

But its one platform is almost one too many for all the passengers who actually use it!

It's so lightly used I think the driver and guard use it more than anyone else! (For changing ends, if you don't know Battersby) :lol:

I've been through about five times and only ever seen one person get on or off!

cle

Established Member
Could they not pop a fast through line through Denham there?

Crossover

Established Member

I see what you are referring to now with this and I do remember seeing them. As per the latter post, all the stations with this layout had the barriers, as I recall (and we went through every station as we did the entire circle, albeit with a call at Partick)

Isn't Lichfield Trent Valley on the Cross City line a similar layout to the pic in the OPs post?

Not thought of that one, but essentially yes. I guess it hasn't been mentioned as the station is part of a larger one, but indeed, the upper level platform is on a double track line - beyond the station is a freight only line, also used for ECS workings and for the diversions when the line through Tamworth UL is closed. In this latter case the trains call at Lichfield Town then pass express through TV so the only services to use the single platform are the X-City terminators

There used to be one, I think. It has been lifted and they have since built the platform on the formation. Wiki (not reliable, I know) suggests they may be building a reversible line to the rear of that platform though, for overtaking services.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

There used to be one, I think. It has been lifted and they have since built the platform on the formation. Wiki (not reliable, I know) suggests they may be building a reversible line to the rear of that platform though, for overtaking services.

I wouldn't hold your breath here. Trains can overtake at Gerrards Cross (2 miles north west) and West Ruislip (2 miles south east) as a result of Evergreen 3 (you could overtake at Ruislip before, but the facility has been upgraded significantly) and that has barely been in operation for two weeks so any benefit from another passing place at Denham would be minimal, and if it was going to be done it would have been done as part of Evergreen 3.

Rich_D3167

I'm not sure whether the Barton unit is regularly swapped on a Saturday daytime, but it would make sense if two days' worth of Bartons, plus a full diagram on Monday, would be pushing it for fuel. On a similar note, the 0810 ex-Scunthorpe has been terminated at Sheffield (platform 1 then straight onto the depot!) on more than one occasion when I've been on it, with another unit working forward to Lincoln.

The swapover on a Saturday does happen, but later in the day. The 08:03 Sheffield - Cleethorpes (via Gainsborough) swaps over with the 09:52 Barton - Cleethorpes, so the unit from Sheffield forms the 10:55 Cleethorpes - Barton, and the unit which did the previous day's Barton's forms the 11:10 Cleethorpes - Sheffield (via Gainsborough). The ECS from Doncaster still runs on Saturdays, but runs as a Class 3 rather than a Class 5, runs through to Cleethorpes and back to Scunthorpe in the same path, and is usually a 2-car unit (today, it's 144003).

tirphil

Penryn is almost, but only double track (in the form of a passing loop) for half of its length, and there is a long disused and overgrown platform opposite.

Dyfi Junction has a layout like this on the Aberystwyth platform.

MK Tom

Established Member
Bicester Town, but the other track is a headshunt and that's all set to change anyway.

What's that station in Cornwall where the passing loop isn't quite in the station?

jammie300

Navigation Road is a different layout again with the Metro link rail and Heavy Rail running side by side. But both platforms runs in both directions

RPM

Established Member
If Railtrack had had their way Princes Risborough would have been like this after the Evergreen 1 upgrade. Chiltern wanted the former down platform reinstated but RT had no interest whatsoever in doing it. In the end Chiltern persuaded RT to give them a lease on the necessary land and they had the platform built themselves.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wouldn't hold your breath here. Trains can overtake at Gerrards Cross (2 miles north west) and West Ruislip (2 miles south east) as a result of Evergreen 3 (you could overtake at Ruislip before, but the facility has been upgraded significantly) and that has barely been in operation for two weeks so any benefit from another passing place at Denham would be minimal, and if it was going to be done it would have been done as part of Evergreen 3.

It was in the Evergreen 3 proposals originally but it got dropped when they started looking at ways to make it affordable. The down platform was specifically designed to leave room for a through line to be put in behind it.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Similar but different, both Loughborough and Chesterfield on the MML have 4 tracks but 3 platforms, so trains on the Up Slow have to cross to the Down Slow to stop. Chesterfield P3 sees little use, it's only so trains can still call when diverting via the "old road", but Loughborough gets 1tph each way at P3, too and from Lincoln. Trains are due to pass just north of Loughborough, so a delay to the northbound can delay the southbound too, and since their isn't an amazing amount of turn around at Leicester, and the single track section from Syston Junction to Leicester can be a bottleneck leading to more delays if trains miss their path, delays can be difficult to recover from. There is no room for a southbound slow platform at Loughborough though as the up slow is right up against the boundary of the Brush works.

Retford, on the ECML, has its up and down platforms on the east side of their respective lines, in the same way as Denham.
The station at Dilton Marsh (on the Westbury - Salisbury line) has its up and down platforms on opposite sides of a bridge - i.e. they don't face each other at ANY point!

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
as we're drifting into just "odd layouts"- Hatfield, on the ECML. 3 platforms. Four track line. There's an island between the Down lines- though few (no?) services stop on the Fast. The Up Fast has no platform- the Up Slow has a platform, but this is not at all opposite the Down island. This can be seen here

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, this is an odd one. It's why more trains don't stop at Hatfield because it means up fast trains would have to move to the up slow and back.

And if something happens on the slow, trains have to skip the station entirely London-bound.

I believe there's history about the layout of the platforms too, to do with Hatfield House, and not having to have ladies alighting in view of people on the opposite platform. I am not sure how true that is. [warning; this might be an urban myth!]

Status
Not open for further replies.