• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dragging a dead HST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

green howards

If a locomotive is dragging a dead HST using the draw bar under the end cover can it do so without any restrictions?

Is there a speed restriction (apart from the hauling locomotive's)?

Can an HST in service be hauled with passengers on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

marks87

Established Member
If a locomotive is dragging a dead HST using the draw bar under the end cover can it do so without any restrictions?

There's a video on YouTube of a 91 dragging an in-service HST at high speed.

Mugby

Established Member
I remember being on Derby station one saturday night many years ago (in BR days) when a Cross Country HST came in from the north. There must have been a problem with the rear power car at some point so it had been removed and the rear coach had been locked off and a tail lamp mounted.

It was the one and only time I've ever seen that done and I wondered how they coped with turning it round at it's destination!

richw

Veteran Member
It was the one and only time I've ever seen that done and I wondered how they coped with turning it round at it's destination!

would of connected a loco up at terminal most probably

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....It was the one and only time I've ever seen that done and I wondered how they coped with turning it round at it's destination!

Can't have been many terminus stations for it to go to on a cross country working, so it's possible that it simply drove on to whichever depot was to look after it for the night.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Another incident at Derby many years ago when a HST arrived from Birmingham direction being pushed by another one. Several blokes with big hammers then spent quite a long time before they could disconnect the emergency coupling bar, during which time the second HST was stopped across the junction and blocking any other arrivals including my train home.

shedman

The 0710 Leeds - Aberdeen used to be a good bet to run with a single power car and starting at York back in the days of GNER, I know as I've prepped and departed it!

E&W Lucas

Established Member

The instruction is that the speed is limited to the speed of the lowest vehicle in the formation, which in reality, is likely to be the assisting loco.

The theoretical maximum is 110. There are no control jumpers on the front of a HST, therefore only the brake control unit on the assisting loco will be operative. 110 is the maximum in that situation.

Operators may have written a lower figure into their contingency plans, since the BR manuals were written. I've never dragged one, with anything permitted to run at over 100.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes, routinely.

Geezah1984

There was an interesting video on YouTube from Network Rail showing how to use a 67 on thunderbird duties and I am sure it used a HST for one segment. I can sadly not find it now though :(

D6975

Established Member

Used to happen quite often when XC HSTs were common through Bristol.
One dead power car meant you were'nt allowed over the Devon banks without assistance. As Bristol was the last place en route likely to have a spare loco, it was usually attached here, seen it done many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.