• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Draughtiest stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Completely agree there, but there comes a point where it's just; "I felt cold at xxxxx"!
Which is why we're now discussing station architecture and why these places are so draughty.

I will say this: Carlisle is often a joy to wait at. Not cold at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

The 'airport' concepts works up to a point if there is a large 'departure lounge' where travellers can wait in relative comfort until advised by comprehensive information systems to proceed to the platform just before their train is due. For many airports the final movement is via an enclosed tube and on one level anyway.

Stations suffer from two challenges - firstly when, like Sheffield, the concourse and waiting rooms are completely unheated (even when open, pre-COVID) and secondly because passengers need to spread out along platforms to be opposite a wide range of doors appropriate to reservation or class of travel, often beyond canopied areas, e.g. at Tamworth.

There is a further problem if the 'lounge' is at a different level but only served by one lift. The bottleneck dictates an early move for many passengers with buggies, luggage, etc. leading to more prolonged exposure to the elements.
My original post was as a result of a cold wait at Worcestershire Parkway. I did find a tiny seating area downstairs near the lifts, but it was windowless and well distant from the platforms so pretty useless really, and the platforms only have one bus shelter each. Fine whilst covid keeps the numbers in single figures for most of the day, but when they build this new village next door I think they might need some additional facilities!

Amlag

Bristol TM, west end, plats 6,8,10 & 12 westbound XC trains pull right down to the ends,thus waiting Passrs have little protection from the side winds and rain and in winter also the cold.
It is time some covererd waiting rooms were provided, in addition to the current few platform seats in these exposed areas.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Bristol TM, west end, plats 6,8,10 & 12 westbound XC trains pull right down to the ends,thus waiting Passrs have little protection from the side winds and rain and in winter also the cold.
It is time some covererd waiting rooms were provided, in addition to the current few platform seats in these exposed areas.
I was waiting at Bristol Parkway on a hot day, but it still felt cold.

peteb

Jungfraujoch - don't wind speeds regularly exceed 160kph there?
Yes this is a covered station in a tunnel from memory but is it draughty inside? Outside it might be one of the least hospitable station locations on the planet on a bad weather day!

K.o.R

Yes this is a covered station in a tunnel from memory but is it draughty inside? Outside it might be one of the least hospitable station locations on the planet on a bad weather day!

Aren't you above most of the weather at Jungfraujoch? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.