• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver job

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I would agree. Especially about the DMI. The DMs interview hundreds of candidates and instinctively know who is going to become a Driver and who isn't. Whilst it isn't perfect, it does work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
To be fair , I don't think you actually lose two lives at standard. I believe the rssb don't have a two lives limit at all and is just a toc / opc thing anyway.
I was told by the OPC that was the case too, but as we can see, it is an RSSB ruling? I honestly think the info the OPC give depends on who you speak to there.

As I understand it, if you pass to national standard, that’s okay, but if the TOC or FOC requires an enhanced standard, you can’t continue if you fail a second time for an enhanced standard. The national standard isn’t affected.

Oh, I think WMT is also enhanced ;)

Not clever really, I passed. :D
Haha.

DB Schenker may be "standard" but I never saw them advertise for TTDs between taking over EWS up to circa 2011. Thats when I got fed up and joined the prison service. In the 4 months I've been a member of this forum they haven't advertised then either.

Stigy

Established Member
Haha.

DB Schenker may be "standard" but I never saw them advertise for TTDs between taking over EWS up to circa 2011. Thats when I got fed up and joined the prison service. In the 4 months I've been a member of this forum they haven't advertised then either.
They advertised fairly recently (With in the last year) for both Trainee Drivers and Junior Drivers at a number of depots.

Established Member
I would agree. Especially about the DMI. The DMs interview hundreds of candidates and instinctively know who is going to become a Driver and who isn't. Whilst it isn't perfect, it does work.

Agree with this.

People place too much emphasis on the aptitude tests. Yes, you need to pass them, but they are only one part of the wider picture.

The DMI has a subjective element (as with all interviews) but the process is pretty robust these days. The questions are standardised and vetted by HR.

Established Member
I always find these threads a little depressing, in the sense that people have clearly done little to no research into the industry they are aspiring to join.

All people need to do is show some initiative, and set up job alerts on their local TOCs‘ recruitment websites. The TOCs certainly aren’t going to be posting job vacancies on this forum.

@Stigy is one of the more informed posters on here, and clearly knows his onions. Credit duly given!

To which specific post does this response relate r'kid?

I always find these threads a little depressing, in the sense that people have clearly done little to no research into the industry they are aspiring to join.

All people need to do is show some initiative, and set up job alerts on their local TOCs‘ recruitment websites. The TOCs certainly aren’t going to be posting job vacancies on this forum.

@Stigy is one of the more informed posters on here, and clearly knows his onions. Credit duly given!

Trogladyte

THIS!

Last edited:
Nobody, in this thread, asked anything related to job alerts.
Surely asking a question in a forum, picking the brains of somebody more knowledgeable, is classed as research and/or initiative.
Sportsmen/women use coaches, if they coached themselves they may never reach the next level. A strange comparison I know.
I'm not even sure if the above digs are aimed at me but I find the responses bizarre, irrelevant even.
One thing is true, Stigy is a fountain of knowledge.

Last edited:

Established Member
Nobody, in this thread, asked anything related to job alerts.
Surely asking a question in a forum, picking the brains of somebody more knowledgeable, is classed as research and/or initiative.
Sportsmen/women use coaches, if they coached themselves they may never reach the next level. A strange comparison I know.
I'm not even sure if the above digs are aimed at me but I find the responses bizarre, irrelevant even.
One thing is true, Stigy is a fountain of knowledge.

I’ll hold my hands up there, I owe you an apology. I misinterpreted one of your earlier posts. Your posts are perfectly reasonable and you seem well informed.

It’s a general point, really. There’s a thread where someone asked about being a tube driver, and whether the process was the same as becoming a driver for Crossrail. A modicum of research would have told them that they’re two completely different jobs.

In hindsight, I should have made my above observation on that thread, rather than this one.

I’ll hold my hands up there, I owe you an apology. I misinterpreted one of your earlier posts. Your posts are perfectly reasonable and you seem well informed.

It’s a general point, really. There’s a thread where someone asked about being a tube driver, and whether the process was the same as becoming a driver for Crossrail. A modicum of research would have told them that they’re two completely different jobs.

In hindsight, I should have made my above observation on that thread, rather than this one.
I doff my cap to you my friend. No harm done.

There’s no putdown like a northern putdown, is there?! Truly withering.

Fair play to you, I deserved it! :)

While the Gallagher brothers were quite fond of the "r'kid" it's also commonly used in the Black Country. I challenge anyone to step out of Tipton station and not hear it used within an hour. Although why anyone would want to get off at Tipton is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.