• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver jobs - interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy2019

Hi all

I am in the talent pool for one company and got a DMI this week for another. Today I was dismissed from my job of 6 years for gross misconduct for an incident that occurred out of work. It was my error at the end of the day.

Is there any point in me progressing with this interview. Will I likely to be considered for this (or any railway job) with this on my record. Just thought I would ask what the general consensus is.

thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
Hi all

I am in the talent pool for one company and got a DMI this week for another. Today I was dismissed from my job of 6 years for gross misconduct for an incident that occurred out of work. It was my error at the end of the day.

Is there any point in me progressing with this interview. Will I likely to be considered for this (or any railway job) with this on my record. Just thought I would ask what the general consensus is.

thanks.
Just have the interview . If you don't then you will never know.

4F89

Don't think my lot ever followed up on references

Last edited:

TTDARL

No harm in attending the interview. Everyone makes mistakes. Obviously there is a scale of severity / seriousness of those mistakes that can make a difference to a potential employer. Check the initial application small print also, usually states that you should disclose any changes in situation / circumstances etc after application. And failure to disclose changes can result in dismissal / application being terminated. There is no guarantee that references will or will not be taken up from your current / last employee hence the disciplinary being disclosed to them. I’m sure they’d rather it came from you (honesty & integrity and all that) than finding out from another source.

Last edited:

TheVicLine

Depend on what happened and if it is relevant to the position you are applying for. The whole reference thing could be a bit of a sticking point if you are using your previous employer, most TOCs follow up on the references, although saying that mine took me on before they had heard back.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all

thanks.
There’s no harm in going for the interview, what have you got to lose? Whether or not they will be bothered about your reference and/or the reason you were dismissed depends to be honest. If your previous employer was a TOC/FOC/NWR for example, they may hear about your dismissal before you even notify them.

henrybear

my current employer (non railway but a major plc), only ever gives a reference about length of employment and no details relating to your exit, either voluntary or involuntary....it may be worth investigating what their references include.

Sammy2019

Theyve already said they will include it on the reference.

thanks everyone, il do the interview anyway but not holding out much hope.

Did the interview, they seemed happy that I told them. Only thing is on the question I answered the “what fleet do we have” question wrong so don’t think I will be going any further.

Last edited:

Melmatrixx2

my current employer (non railway but a major plc), only ever gives a reference about length of employment and no details relating to your exit, either voluntary or involuntary....it may be worth investigating what their references include.
Same with mine

Status
Not open for further replies.