• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Line Managers

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane_lewis

Just out of interest,

What are the pay scales like for a driver line manager, especially GTR. Im currently a driver and enjoy the actual driving, but looking at maybe dropping out of the shift work.

Just weighing up my options and cant find any information online,

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
Your first part of the username....quick, get him!

LCC106

Established Member
Seems to depend on experience at our place. Remember though that they often work 5 days a week, can be on call 24/7 on a rota system and don’t get paid overtime so in real terms are on less pay than drivers effectively and you might prefer the shift work with some rest day working. If you want to come off shift work then that’s the price to pay.

Stigy

Established Member
It does vary between TOC/FOC and some have two tiers (some who are drivers and hold that competency and some who don’t). A lot of the time drivers earn more than their managers too.

As has been said also, managers work a 5 day week usually and are part of an on-call roster. Plus, they can get a lot of grief and are arguably not as ‘looked after’ as these they manage, by the company.

Need2

Just out of interest,

What are the pay scales like for a driver line manager, especially GTR. Im currently a driver and enjoy the actual driving, but looking at maybe dropping out of the shift work.

Just weighing up my options and cant find any information online,

Thanks

At Thameslink they are called CDM's (competancy development managers) and are on approx £67-69k (from memory)
Or do you mean a LOM (local operations mangager)? again, from memory I think it's about £40k ish

insane_lewis

yeah I know all about the on call and 5 days etc, most of the managers at my depot only seem to work Monday to Friday. I completely expect a drop in pay, but that doesn't really bother me to be honest. I just wondered how much the drop would be.

Having run my own business in the past and having now been on the railway nearly 6 years, Im starting to want my weekends back. plus I have young children so when im lates and they are at school 4 days or so go by without spending anytime with them, but I guess others know that already.

Stigy

Established Member
At Thameslink they are called CDM's (competancy development managers) and are on approx £67-69k (from memory)
Or do you mean a LOM (local operations mangager)? again, from memory I think it's about £40k ish
LOMs are NWR. I’d have thought they’d be on a lot more than £40k since they are a grade higher than MOM (I think?). Someone might be able to clarify.

ComUtoR

Established Member

I thought that you had both ? The old DM grade was split into Competency/Driver Management so you have the CDMs who specifically deal with Driver competence and the Driver Managers who deal with the HR stuff (disciplinaries etc.)

LOMs are NWR. I’d have thought they’d be on a lot more than £40k since they are a grade higher than MOM (I think?). Someone might be able to clarify.

LOM is just another overused acronym. We had LOMs for a long while but were renamed to OMs recently.

LOM

I will give you a proper answer once I have stopped laughing :lol::lol: Needless to say no one in a Network Rail LOM job does it for the money.

Class2ldn

You will get moved about at the companies will on GTR, you could be a driver on thameslink but they want you on the GN side or Kent side.
Must say I dont know many CDM's that love their job at GTR.
The LOM's are just glorified desk jockeys that take the load off the CDM's as they are so bogged under with work
If anything I'd look at moving into the training side , have you looked at working in the training school at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.