• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

Just a really quick question as I was merely interested to know.

When a driver is operating a 'normal' passenger service stopping at most stations along the route, when stopped would they move the Reverser into Neutral, or would they keep it in the Forward position? (This applies to a typical Class 150/153 etc...)

That’s all :D
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RPM

Established Member
On a 165 I tend to stay in Forward and use the DSD holdover button whilst completing station duties. On a 168 I usually put it in neutral simply because the holdover button is badly positioned in them. In short though, there is no requirement to put the unit in neutral at a station stop unless you are leaving the cab for some reason.

headshot119

Established Member
On a 15X or a 14X you wouldn't move the reverser into neutral unless you where leaving the cab.

Beveridges

Established Member
I drive Depot only so no stations but sitting in a stopped train is still the same regardless. I always put it in neutral when I stop for any reason. Even if I dont have to get out the cab. It stops the vigilance going off and you can take your foot off the DSD without the vigilance noise. Though if the unit doesnt have vigilance (eg 142s) you can leave it in forwards it makes no difference

A-driver

Established Member
It depends really. If stopping a lot I leave it in forward with the brake in step 1 as its quicker. If I am at a dispatched station (ie CD/RA etc) then I go step 3 brake and neutral. Not sure why, just something my instructor liked people to do when I was a trainee and I've done it ever since out if habit. If I'm waiting at a station for a while I also go into neutral to give my foot a rest from the DSD and if I'm leaving the driving position for anything (missed the monitors/mirrors etc so looking back on the non drivers side etc) then I go step 3 and N.

There arnt any rules about this but most drivers will leave it in forward as it saves time and effort when stopping every few mins.

Obviously if there is a red on the end then you must be in step 3 and N.

A-driver

Established Member
Though if the unit doesnt have vigilance (eg 142s) you can leave it in forwards it makes no difference

only problem with that on a running line is that if you lift your foot off the DSD for about 30secs it sets an alarm off on the CSR which goes through to the signal box so if you leave it too long they may think you are dead or asleep.

jnjkerbin

I was watching a cab ride on the Marshlink line the other day and the driver of the 171 put the brakes into step 2 or 3 and the reverser in neutral but sometimes also set the DRA even when the starter signal at the end of the platform was clear. Could setting and resetting the DRA every time possibly lead to bad habits ie. automatically reset and off we go, doesn't check signal?

Joe

A-driver

Established Member
I havnt seen that DVD but find it hard to believe he set the DRA on a clear signal-that is against the rules and any manager would get very funny about over use like that. I find it hard to believe he did it on the DVD-are you sure it's not just how the film was edited? Or was the driver being relieved by another at that station?

As I said before-it's up to the driver what brakes they use once at a stand-I know a few 377 drivers who always used step 3 as the handle is very easily knocked back on one if those so you could accidentally release the brake and roll the train.

455/8

If I'm driving 455's I tend to leave the it in forward when stopped at a station unless I have a red at the end of the platform (then it's F/S and neutral with DRA on) or I am booked to sit at the station for a long period. If I'm driving 444, 450 or 458 then I put it in to neutral at all stations stops, mostly because the DVD sounds identical to the signal bells.

jnjkerbin

I havnt seen that DVD but find it hard to believe he set the DRA on a clear signal-that is against the rules and any manager would get very funny about over use like that. I find it hard to believe he did it on the DVD-are you sure it's not just how the film was edited? Or was the driver being relieved by another at that station?

It could just be my memory or me getting confused. They could have been doing some Michael Portillo Great British Journeys style editing!:lol:

Joe

Hey thanks everyone for getting back to me so quickly.

Some very useful info here and you have all answered my question which I should have made clearer; is it an operational procedure/requirement or down to the drivers' discretion in some situations.

Thanks again :D

Skoodle

It is LOROL driving policy "advised" to put in neutral when stopped at a station or a signal at danger. There is no hard written rule about which brake step to put in and some drivers use different brake steps for station duties than stopping at a red to stop automatically reaching for the soor release. It's all down to what works best for each driver.

455/8

SWT driving poilcy states for the 458/450/444 when maintainin the train at a stand place the pbc to F/S and the master to neutral. For 455s when at a stand you must place the brake controller to F/S but it is not required to move the master to neutral unless standing at a red or you are to leave the drivers seat. With the class 444/450 you can't put the train into neutral unless you first put the PBC into F/S first, then you can put the master into neutral as the PBC and master are interlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.