• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver training Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello, sorry if this on another thread. So i have a few months before i start with TOC as trainee driver, i would like to start going over stuff which will give me a foundation going into it. Are there any good links to relevant info, i wanted to start going through the rssb rule book prior starting but i cant seem i cant get hold of it until i have started with a toc. Any other stuff i could look at? thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

I think the general consensus when it comes to the rule book is to go in with a blank mind. I was advised in my interview not to look at the rule book at all until told to.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Don’t look at anything, the course is designed to take someone with no knowledge of the railway at all and produce a competent driver at the end. You don’t need a foundation going into it. Just relax and enjoy your last few stress-free months of sleeping normally.

WrongRoad

A lot of the Rule Book won’t make any sense to somebody outside of the railway, wait for your course when an instructor will explain and teach you what you need to know.

vikingdriver

If you know the routes that you'll be driving you could learn the order of the stations which I guess could help a little bit when it comes to train handling / route learning. Other than that, take it easy whilst you still can.

driver9000

Established Member
As above you have nothing to gain from reading ahead. The course is designed to take you through it all in a set order so it makes sense. The Rule book can be confusing and complex so it's best left alone until you are on the rules course. You've got an intense period of training coming up so I would enjoy the time you have before your life is taken over by books. Welcome to the industry!

Hello, sorry if this on another thread. So i have a few months before i start with TOC as trainee driver, i would like to start going over stuff which will give me a foundation going into it. Are there any good links to relevant info, i wanted to start going through the rssb rule book prior starting but i cant seem i cant get hold of it until i have started with a toc. Any other stuff i could look at? thanks
The driver course is designed to take you from zero knowledge to fully competent.

Once you start at academy you’ll be overwhelmed with the information that’s being presented to you. Take the time that you have now to relax and prepare yourself mentally.

Red Devil

As above. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
If I was to put the rule book and sectional appendix in front of you you'd be terrified. It's only when you you've been taught do you realise what it means and what to look for.

Pilotman

Yes, must say, have to agree with the guys.. Best to wait until you start, the instructors a great and will help and support you all the way. Things like rule books and sectional appendix and other publications will just confuse you at this point. Your first milestone will be Personal Track Safety (PTS) normally a 2/3 day course and must pass this to progress. PTS is not difficult so if your determined to get acquainted with anything maybe just keep to PTS for now.

When I trained with my colleagues we used a site called uktrainingsolutions.com both in class and at home and was written by a trainer in the rail industry and it's free to learn. Be careful of some other sites as they may be out of date using old terminology and rules. But this site worked for us and is written for the beginner.

Hope this helps

scotraildriver

Established Member
Nope. Just don't. Lots of parts of the rule book are irrelevant to you as a driver and it won't be taught in the order the modules appear in.

ok thankyou everyone i will heed your advice and stay away from the rule book and the likes. i may have a look at the pts though as i did a very basic version for the heritage railway when i volunteered so may be use full.

Yes, must say, have to agree with the guys.. Best to wait until you start, the instructors a great and will help and support you all the way. Things like rule books and sectional appendix and other publications will just confuse you at this point. Your first milestone will be Personal Track Safety (PTS) normally a 2/3 day course and must pass this to progress. PTS is not difficult so if your determined to get acquainted with anything maybe just keep to PTS for now.

When I trained with my colleagues we used a site called uktrainingsolutions.com both in class and at home and was written by a trainer in the rail industry and it's free to learn. Be careful of some other sites as they may be out of date using old terminology and rules. But this site worked for us and is written for the beginner.

Hope this helps

pilotman, thankyou, is that website free to use, seems one hell of a resource if so. i opened an account and it is letting me look at the PTS stuff but seems remarkable it has not asked for money.

Pilotman

Yes bud, fill your boots.. I think there is a couple of chargeable bits but yes all the modules are free to learn from we found it a great site and nice to refresh the rules which are kept up to date.

Lewis H

The rule book can be ambiguous even if you do know what you’re on about , best to leave it all alone and take it all on as it comes, I went through the same, and worked out for me and a couple others on my course. Best of luck in your training!

Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on your new job!

I would agree with the majority of people on this thread when they say go into the training with an open mind and don't look at the rule book. You may feel a bit overwhelmed as there looks like a lot to take in (and there is) but throughout the course you will learn it all and things will sink-in.

There's no harm in doing a little research on the company itself, although I'm sure you've already done that if you've made it this far.

Lastly, enjoy it! I'm currently training myself and, at the beginning, I did wonder how I was going to learn everything but it's in my brain somewhere.

If you want any other advice, give me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.