• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scot29

Has anyone recently done the trainee driver training and could give an insight to how the training is done?

How much class room base / shadowing. How long before you are left to take control yourself?

Bits you enjoyed or found harder than others?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Picklebutton

It depends on your TOC, but the general process will be roughly the same.

Rules; classroom based and will take up to about three months. You’ll probably have practical exercises to perform on a simulator too. There’ll also be the PTS test quite early on. Some TOCs have visits planned into the rules section of learning too; signal boxes, ECOs etc.

Practical handling; which may included slow speed movements and driving empty coaching stock to get you used to driving a real train and possibly different traction if your TOC runs multiple train types.

Driving hours; a minimum of 225 hours, which will be driven on service trains.

Traction knowledge and route learning skills; which are also assessed.

Once you’re ready, you’ll take an assessment over a number of days which will include everything you’ve covered during your training.

After all of that you’ll still need to finish roads (route learning) and be signed off as competent to drive them.

All in all it can be anything from 12 - 18 months before you’re out and driving entirely on your own. And that assumes you’ve not had to share a Driver Instructor with another trainee, and you’ve passed everything first time.

Techno77

Has anyone recently done the trainee driver training and could give an insight to how the training is done?

How much class room base / shadowing. How long before you are left to take control yourself?

Bits you enjoyed or found harder than others?
My training lasted 9 months and 5 days. That's from the 1st day (induction) to passing out

baz962

Established Member
Do people fail?
My training was 8 months and one day lol. Few people fail . We can have one failure at an assessment during training. Out of seven in my group , everyone passed out , with six of us never needing a second go and one lost a life. It is generally believed that any people that do fail , do so because of a poor attitude. At my first dmi , at a toc I didn't get the job with , the depot manager told me about a trainee that was struggling and when told to do some revision , replied with I don't get paid to work at home. Needless to say they binned that trainee. If you put the work in , you should be ok.

Stigy

Established Member
My training was 8 months and one day lol. Few people fail . We can have one failure at an assessment during training. Out of seven in my group , everyone passed out , with six of us never needing a second go and one lost a life. It is generally believed that any people that do fail , do so because of a poor attitude. At my first dmi , at a toc I didn't get the job with , the depot manager told me about a trainee that was struggling and when told to do some revision , replied with I don't get paid to work at home. Needless to say they binned that trainee. If you put the work in , you should be ok.
This place needs some more emojis....maybe a facepalm? :)

I knew somebody who got as far as the simulator stuff and failed (not sure where that falls in the training, but she had been doing it for at least 8 or 9 months I think?). She was renowned for being quite arrogant so I wasn’t surprised. It got me thinking, to fail at that stage (or any stage?) when they’ve invested so much time and money in you, must be quite significant? Surely it’s within anyone’s ability to pass as long as they’ve got the right attitude? (I hope) ;)

Twotwo

I no of a few people who failed with swr. Not sure why and what stage they failed on tho.

feaky4

Pretty stupid question but what happens?? Do you lose your job or do you get put into a different position in the company?? I doubt I'll ever get that far but I end up stressing and really over thinking about these things

Stigy

Established Member
Pretty stupid question but what happens?? Do you lose your job or do you get put into a different position in the company?? I doubt I'll ever get that far but I end up stressing and really over thinking about these things
I can’t definitively answer for al TOCs, but the following ‘usually’ applies to SWR;

If you’re an external employee (came from another company be that a TOC/FOC or from outside the railway), you’ll have your contract terminated as you haven’t met the conditions (however I know of other jobs whereby we have given people a chance to find another role within the company). If you’re internal, you’ll either go back to your old job if a vacancy still exists, or be given 20-weeks to find another job within the company. If you don’t find one within 20-weeks, you’re on your own. If given 20-weeks you’ll be prioritised should you be suitable for a vacancy and you apply. Not sure what you’ll do in the meantime....be given some other duties I assume. This isn’t set in stone and I think a certain amount of goodwill is involved, depending on a few factors (probably why you failed to pass the assessments would be taken in to account?).

Dynamonic

The important thing to remember is that whilst it is possible to fail training, your trainer(s) will do everything they can to support you and help you to succeed, if you’re throwing the effort in.
As has been mentioned, it is largely an attitude thing. If you put in time, effort, ask questions if you get stuck, then the support is there for you.
There will be aspects of the training which can be difficult to get to grips with. Everyone will find something challenging during the course. As soon as that happens, it’s important to not be embarrassed to ask for help, otherwise you may find yourself struggling to understand the things that are added to that. (Like a domino effect)
My training group had a WhatsApp group, and we were constantly asking each other questions and supporting each other. You’ll form a great bond with your classmates and effectively pull each other through.

Just take every day of training as it comes, don’t study ahead, and go with the flow. :)

ComUtoR

Established Member
Manual Handling :

0-50 hrs : Do as you are told, pretty much always following instructions, getting to grips with the basics of train handling. Learn to accelerate, learn to stop.
50-100 hrs : Putting basics into action, learning at least one route, some independent action, learning some advanced techniques.
100-150 hrs : Pushing towards more independent action, application of rules and traction and work towards a 'Driver' mentality
150-200 hrs : Increased route knowledge, advanced control techniques, polishing driving skills, more independence
200+ : Compound, buff, polish. Full independence.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Manual Handling :

0-50 hrs : Do as you are told, pretty much always following instructions, getting to grips with the basics of train handling. Learn to accelerate, learn to stop.
50-100 hrs : Putting basics into action, learning at least one route, some independent action, learning some advanced techniques.
100-150 hrs : Pushing towards more independent action, application of rules and traction and work towards a 'Driver' mentality
150-200 hrs : Increased route knowledge, advanced control techniques, polishing driving skills, more independence
200+ : Compound, buff, polish. Full independence.

This is great; this is the part of training that's worrying me the most.

OneLowban

I can assure you, as a fellow worrier for the same reason, it’s not as bad as you think it’s going to be. Especially don’t worry about that bit right now. :smile:

Louby

don't worry, you will have full support of your instructor, at the end of the day it's their license!! just enjoy it and you will, you put the effort in it's a great reward at the end

baz962

Established Member
Around one in a dozen trainee drivers fail their passout at our place. Usually by ignoring the advice of their instructors.

That's a lot , we had one in around 80 last year.

Llama

Established Member
Yes, it is a lot, indicative of the way things are run here though unfortunately.

feaky4

Thanks for the replys that's one of 2 reasons why it's taken me so long to start applying for train driving and even now I get stressed thinking of that aspect hopefully one day I'll be there

Aivilo

East or West Llama?

I've said it on other threads that PTS is the only thing you can officially fail on. Throughout the course you'll be assessed and any areas your struggling with will be highlighted.

You'll be given everything you need to successfully pass the training course take advice from everyone and work out what's best for you. 14 years I've been driving and I'm still learning

ComUtoR

Established Member
I've said it on other threads that PTS is the only thing you can officially fail on.

Can you elaborate please ? Is that during rules or throughout the entire process ? Our rules have a strictly enforced passmark with written (modular) assessments along the way. We just had one not make it through manual handling. 'No further training'

14 years I've been driving and I'm still learning

Slightly ahead of you but still learning stuff too :)

Dieseldriver

East or West Llama?

I've said it on other threads that PTS is the only thing you can officially fail on. Throughout the course you'll be assessed and any areas your struggling with will be highlighted.

You'll be given everything you need to successfully pass the training course take advice from everyone and work out what's best for you. 14 years I've been driving and I'm still learning
You can fail at any part of the course, not just PTS. If you're not capable of attaining the required standard, you will not get through. Anyone struggling will be given additional help but if you're not suitable, you're not suitable.

Aivilo

I agree that parts can been "failed" but you'll get additional training you won't be off the course. PTS however you won't go any further.

Naturally there is a line where the business may feel that further training won't be of use but you've really not applied yourself to get to that stage.

Anyone can drive a train not everyone can be a train driver

Stigy

Established Member
I agree that parts can been "failed" but you'll get additional training you won't be off the course. PTS however you won't go any further.

Naturally there is a line where the business may feel that further training won't be of use but you've really not applied yourself to get to that stage.

I have a PTS competency and although it’s a pass/fail course, it’s one of those courses, in my view, that’s quite straightforward, even being new to the railway. There are fewer phones than there were when I started at least :D

I can’t recall ever getting less than 98% on a PTS whenever I get refreshed, and the assessors are usually very helpful. Having said all that, I’ve only ever worked for one TOC and haven’t attended a full 2-day course for some years. :lol:

Dieseldriver

TO reiterate what you've just said, whilst sometimes people can't pass because they simply don't have the aptitude for the job, in most cases it seems to be for a poor attitude or lack of applying themselves to get through.
If you're honest with yourself on your ability, apply yourself and work hard, you are unlikely to fail the course.

Aivilo

TO reiterate what you've just said, whilst sometimes people can't pass because they simply don't have the aptitude for the job, in most cases it seems to be for a poor attitude or lack of applying themselves to get through.
If you're honest with yourself on your ability, apply yourself and work hard, you are unlikely to fail the course.

I completely agree

Llama

Established Member
East or West Llama?

West. There are a few strugglers at the moment, one or two I just can't see ever passing out. Quite a few trainees come to the depots and we wonder how they ever managed to get out of the training school. And yes I agree with the learning - the day you think you have stopped learning in this job is the day you drop a clanger.

Steam Man

On Moderation
How long are PTS courses how long do they last before they expire because on the heritage Railway that I work on we’ve had to do one

Status
Not open for further replies.