• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS Train Person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tricky1972

Just received email. Passed the one I thought I'd fail and failed the one I thought I'd passed. 6 months to wait .......

Salesy

Just received email. Passed the one I thought I'd fail and failed the one I thought I'd passed. 6 months to wait .......

Sorry to hear that Tricky. I recently failed a video interview with EMT.

Another opportunity will come around soon enough, best of luck for when it does.

Tricky1972

Failed vst passed the other gutted
I passed VSE and failed SJT...... Clearly my common sense is not functioning. I just went for the options that would solve the problem quickest and best for the customer without compromising safety. Rubbish that there is no feedback.

LRV3004

Sorry to see a lot of you haven't made it through the online stage; it's not nice reading. Hopefully try again the in the future though - it's disheartening but please don't give up; it took me TWENTY THREE attempts at a railway job before I eventually succeeded!

Golfer

Sorry to see a lot of you haven't made it through the online stage; it's not nice reading. Hopefully try again the in the future though - it's disheartening but please don't give up; it took me TWENTY THREE attempts at a railway job before I eventually succeeded!
Thanks I wont give up Now I’ve seen the test I’ll be able to pass in future ,is this the best site for finding Scottish trainee driving jobs??

Tricky1972

Thanks I wont give up Now I’ve seen the test I’ll be able to pass in future ,is this the best site for finding Scottish trainee driving jobs??
Practicing the VSE if you can should work wonders. Any tips on nailing the SJT. I clearly misjudged what was needed.

Salesy

Practicing the VSE if you can should work wonders. Any tips on nailing the SJT. I clearly misjudged what was needed.

I obviously don’t know how it is scored but I prioritised my answers:

1/ Rules
2/ Safety
3/ Everything else

1 & 2 are quite close, but I figured most rules exist for safety reasons.

Tricky1972

I obviously don’t know how it is scored but I prioritised my answers:

1/ Rules
2/ Safety
3/ Everything else

1 & 2 are quite close, but I figured most rules exist for safety reasons.
Cheers for that. Will apply that next time. What threw me was that how do rules and safety apply to a scenario of rearranging a failed restaurant delivery order. Argh.

LRV3004

With regard to the SJT, it's right what's been said - rules, safety, everything else. While good customer service is important, that counts for nothing if you're breaching important safety procedures or breaking the rules.
With regard to other railway jobs/careers, I would say this is a good forum to look on, although ironically I didn't find the advert for the Train Person job last time on here; a mate sent me a Facebook message at random with the link to the job in!

Red1980

I passed VSE and failed SJT...... Clearly my common sense is not functioning. I just went for the options that would solve the problem quickest and best for the customer without compromising safety. Rubbish that there is no feedback.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much there about the SJT mate. From what I hear common sense doesn't really come into that test.....it's more of a lottery than anything else.

Some of the safest most down to earth customer service focused people I've ever met on the railway have come up short on that test.

Keep trying pal.

Salesy

Anyone attending the assessment center on the 18th? Applied for Motherwell depot.

I have been invited for the 19th, although a I have only recently passed these tests during an application for EMT, so I need to check whether I need to attend.

welladjusted

I have passed the first 3 but haven't sat DFFT. My reply email let me know I should still attend to complete that one on the day.

welladjusted

Is the DFFT the cables and gauges exercise?

I have done cables and gauges one, DFFT is fault finding on a train and carriage I think? Only looked very briefly as only got my reply this morning.

Last edited:

LRV3004

DFFT is where you have a picture of a loco and carriage. Using a set procedure, you have to correctly diagnose the problem with the train. Read everything properly and carefully, otherwise you will get it wrong!

CapLaw

I’m curious, has anyone been contacted by the OPC or DRS yet? It’s been a week since the assessments and the interviews start soon.

LRV3004

I’m curious, has anyone been contacted by the OPC or DRS yet? It’s been a week since the assessments and the interviews start soon.
Don't forget, some assessments were done last Thursday, so it hasn't been a week for those folks yet!

tom_b

Hey guys (and girls possibly?), how's everyone doing? Well done to everyone going through the testing and application process so far! It's long and gruelling but well worth it in the end!
I'm a Train Person for DRS and hopefully I'll be mentoring the successful candidates eventually! Anyone on here applied for Crewe?
Hi, i applied for the role of train person at crewe and heard back that i'd passed the assesment day. i've got an interview on the 8th october. been doing my homework and just wondering if you've got any advice/ a heads up on the types of questions etc. Any help would be appreciated.

LRV3004

Hi, i applied for the role of train person at crewe and heard back that i'd passed the assesment day. i've got an interview on the 8th october. been doing my homework and just wondering if you've got any advice/ a heads up on the types of questions etc. Any help would be appreciated.
How did your interview go buddy? Sorry for late reply - been mad busy lately and not logged on for a good few days! Hope it all went well for you!

tom_b

How did your interview go buddy? Sorry for late reply - been mad busy lately and not logged on for a good few days! Hope it all went well for you!
Morning mate, heard back last night that I passed. Got stage 2 in a couple of weeks. Got a good idea of what to expect. Have you got any advice? Cheers

DRS66421

Hi, I was just wondering if you know how many attempts you can have at sitting the Situational Judgement and the Visual Search Exercise in general, not with one particular company? Kind regards.

L401CJF

Established Member
I've been keeping a close eye on this thread but have kept quiet until now, I've also made it to stage 2 and have been invited to go to watford next week. Any info on what is included in stage 2 would be appreciated, the help material for this stage is quite vague. I know the MMI and the test with the quick flashing pictures are involved, also a test involving the 2 joysticks? Not sure what else so any info would be great

LRV3004

Hi, I was just wondering if you know how many attempts you can have at sitting the Situational Judgement and the Visual Search Exercise in general, not with one particular company? Kind regards.
You can apply to a company as many times as you like, but you can only sit the industry psychometrics twice. Although I applied 23 times, any tests I sat were only for the individual operator, and not the generic OPC psychometric tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.