• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS - Trainee Train Driver - London (13/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seejwalker

Hello everyone !

How many of us have interviews next week? I’m nervous but equally proud to have made it this far! Congrats to all too,
Wonder who out of us are first? Mines midweek
If you’re London I’d imagine they’re all the same day in Watford as they will have the interviewer and apparently a HR rep there to answer questions.

You new to the railway?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlarmJim

Hello everyone !

How many of us have interviews next week? I’m nervous but equally proud to have made it this far! Congrats to all too,
Wonder who out of us are first? Mines midweek
Hello mate,

Got mine Wednesday morning, can't quite believe it!

AlarmJim

Hey AlarmJim

How are you preparing ? Any tips?
Hiya mate,

Literally just digging round these threads for anything and everything.

Also the DRS website is fairly good for info about them. But yh nothing too drastic.

What about yourself?

Seejwalker

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

You guys new to the railway or employed elsewhere within?

My interview is Thursday morning. I’ve had two driver interviews before in 2018 for Freightliner and DB cargo where I was subsequently was offered the job by both FOCs, I also was offered a signalling role with Network Rail which I took up and have been doing since.
But itched to get a driving a job and waited for the right opportunity.

Good luck to both.

AlarmJim

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

My interview is Thursday morning. I’ve had two driver interviews before in 2018 for Freightliner and DB cargo where I was subsequently was offered the job by both FOCs, I also was offered a signalling role with Network Rail which I took up and have been doing since.

Good luck to both.
Yh, new to the railways.

Any tips for the interview for us?!

I suppose signalling can be a natural progression to a train driver, so fair play.

Yh good luck Thursday mate.

Bdstg

Hiya mate,

Literally just digging round these threads for anything and everything.

Also the DRS website is fairly good for info about them. But yh nothing too drastic.

What about yourself?
Similar to you, but I researched on the NTS site too and their twitter accounts.

Hope I prepared enough answers for the situational questions !

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

Good luck to both.
Hey Chris ,
Yup this is the first position I’ve ever applied for on the railways.

Best of luck Thursday! Have you applied for the position at Willesden ?

Seejwalker

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

Yes I’ve applied for Willesden.
Bizarrely I wouldn’t class signalling as a progression towards driving (especially when I’ll be taking a 65k pay cut whilst training)

As for advice, I don’t really think I’m best placed to offer any. And I say that because I don’t prepare for interviews, I think it’s the worst thing you can do.

Why?
Because in the past I’ve fallen victim to overthinking it and being completely thrown when the interview doesn’t go as planned for, so i essentially cuff it on the day.
I know I have heaps of experience to draw from and just rely on my ability to think on my feet.
What I can say is, don’t overthink, don’t waffle, and don’t feel like you have to fill the silence.

AlarmJim

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

Bizarrely I wouldn’t class signalling as a progression towards driving (especially when I’ll be taking a 65k pay cut whilst training)

As for advice, I don’t really think I’m best placed to offer any. And I say that because I don’t prepare for interviews, I think it’s the worst thing you can do.

Why?
Because in the past I’ve fallen victim to overthinking it and being completely thrown when the interview doesn’t go as planned for, so i essentially cuff it on the day.
I know I have heaps of experience to draw from and just rely on my ability to think on my feet.
What I can say is, don’t overthink, don’t waffle, and don’t feel like you have to fill the silence.
Yh I guess that taking a cut in pay is obviously a bit of a con of the job.

Well, what u say in the last part of your reply is very helpful, so thank you.

Just hope we all do well on the day.

Seejwalker

Yh I guess that taking a cut in pay is obviously a bit of a con of the job.

Well, what u say in the last part of your reply is very helpful, so thank you.

Just hope we all do well on the day.
You’ll be perfectly fine mate and can only do your best on the day.
You’ve done your research. Ran through some transferrable skills in your head and relevant experience to use for your competency style questions.
All you can do now is just relax. Get a good sleep the night before, a good breakfast to kick the day off and give it your all.
Then with a bit of luck in a year from now. We’ll all be getting up at silly o’clock to sign on and start a day of solitary confinement with nobody to talk to hahahah (heaven for me).

Bdstg

You’ve done your research. Ran through some transferrable skills in your head and relevant experience to use for your competency style questions.
All you can do now is just relax. Get a good sleep the night before, a good breakfast to kick the day off and give it your all.
Then with a bit of luck in a year from now. We’ll all be getting up at silly o’clock to sign on and start a day of solitary confinement with nobody to talk to hahahah (heaven for me).
:lol:

AlarmJim

Yh thanks mate, it'll go fine for us all hopefully.
Let's hope your right, in a year or so we'll all be getting up for a day solitary confinement!!!
LOL!!

Good luck

Carl98k

@Bdstg @AlarmJim

Why?
65k pay cut, I thought my 20k cut was bad enough. How much do signallers get paid

Seasalt

Not being funny, as a trainee for DRS the pay is 0£? :D:D:lol::lol:

I am guessing it would be around 30k + that pay cut of 65k, is a signaller making 95k ?

Something doesn't add up.

Seejwalker

Not being funny, as a trainee for DRS the pay is 0£? :D:D:lol::lol:

I am guessing it would be around 30k + that pay cut of 65k, is a signaller making 95k ?

Something doesn't add up.
The training Salary for DRS is £35k,
I would be taking a pay cut of £65k

I’ll let you do the math, but yes, we can make that much.

N_Rail

Does anyone know where the classroom training will take place - lol assuming we all pass the interview of course!

PK96

I wonder how many vacancies are available... Hopefully sufficient to offer us all a opportunity!

I've done basic research on the company. & Hope it's enough. I don't want to over do my head with to much information then when it's the moment of truth I've overdone it all.

I've also been having issues entering the DRS website. I've got an android and can't seem to get onto the website. My partner was having the same issue on her iPhone but eventually managed to get on. I'm yet to be able. Just hoping the information I gathered has been and will be sufficient.

Seejwalker

I wonder how many vacancies are available... Hopefully sufficient to offer us all a opportunity!

I've done basic research on the company. & Hope it's enough. I don't want to over do my head with to much information then when it's the moment of truth I've overdone it all.

I've also been having issues entering the DRS website. I've got an android and can't seem to get onto the website. My partner was having the same issue on her iPhone but eventually managed to get on. I'm yet to be able. Just hoping the information I gathered has been and will be sufficient.
Good approach, overdoing the research more often than not leads to confusion.
I to had issues accessing their site via a PC. You can however look at the NTS site.

N_Rail

I also have an android with the same issue. If you click Advanced then on the following page you should see a link that says Proceed to www.directrail... and you're in

Last edited:

PK96

Good approach, overdoing the research more often than not leads to confusion.
I to had issues accessing their site via a PC. You can however look at the NTS site.
NTS website seems to always be up... But isn't it two different companies? I understand DRS does NTS services but it's two different companies... Or am I wrong on saying this?

I also have an android with the same issue. If you click Advanced then on the following page you should see a link that says Proceed to www.directrail... and you're in
I've had this page.. I've clicked the advance. It's now got to a stage were not even advance options is being provided.

Training is usually in Carlisle, put up in a hotel weekdays and home at weekend. Meals and travel paid for.
How long does training tend to last!?

Seejwalker

@MICAELDINIS

Check out the NTS website mate and go on the rail page.
I’m assuming at the time of application it was advertised as Nuclear Transport Solutions?

NTS website seems to always be up... But isn't it two different companies? I understand DRS does NTS services but it's two different companies... Or am I wrong on saying this?

I've had this page.. I've clicked the advance. It's now got to a stage were not even advance options is being provided.

How long does training tend to last!?
After reading all this, I’m not trying to be an A*** but is seems like you’ve applied for a role you don’t know much about?

PK96

@MICAELDINIS

Check out the NTS website mate and go on the rail page.
I’m assuming at the time of application it was advertised as Nuclear Transport Solutions?

After reading all this, I’m not trying to be an A*** but is seems like you’ve applied for a role you don’t know much about?
& You made this assumption from me asking how long training takes or from the fact I've been attending a DRS position and not a NTS. If it was on the NTS or DRS website now I don't recall. I believe many of us who applied done so early in the year and only heard back a good 4+ months after. But... Okay!

Anyways, I'll have a look at the NTS website to get more key information which could possibly be asked about during the DMI.

Thanks, have a great night

Seejwalker

& You made this assumption from me asking how long training takes or from the fact I've been attending a DRS position and not a NTS. If it was on the NTS or DRS website now I don't recall. I believe many of us who applied done so early in the year and only heard back a good 4+ months after. But... Okay!

Anyways, I'll have a look at the NTS website to get more key information which could possibly be asked about during the DMI.

Thanks, have a great night
As I said, I’m not trying to be an A*** I’ve been on the railway a few years and see it all the time, people taking jobs they had no prior knowledge of.
Moving around and generally being unsettled.

People not knowing what shifts they’re going to work, or how long training is etc….. all avoidable with a little research before you bother applying.

Good luck to those interviewing today and tomorrow.

Carl98k

As I said, I’m not trying to be an A*** I’ve been on the railway a few years and see it all the time, people taking jobs they had no prior knowledge of.
Moving around and generally being unsettled.

People not knowing what shifts they’re going to work, or how long training is etc….. all avoidable with a little research before you bother applying.

Good luck to those interviewing today and tomorrow.
I was told my training would be X amount of weeks during DMI, I’ve had joining instructions and it’s longer. Unless someone from that depot reply’s on here about the shift pattern, how are they meant to know? Again, I’ve still not had a definitive answer, just told 4 week average.

Seejwalker

I was told my training would be X amount of weeks during DMI, I’ve had joining instructions and it’s longer. Unless someone from that depot reply’s on here about the shift pattern, how are they meant to know? Again, I’ve still not had a definitive answer, just told 4 week average.
As I said mate, seems a bizarre time to be asking those sorts of questions when you’re at the interview stage. Given how long the application process can be.
Perhaps it’s just me and I like to ensure I know what I’m applying to before I go ahead and just do it.
Freight especially requires a lifestyle. It’s more than just a job,
Starting from training where you’ll be required to lodge for the duration (most people don’t realise this)
To shift patterns during un-social patterns.

Most people don’t actually consider what the job entails, from long periods of boredom you might have to sit with a train for hours waiting for relief because of issue on your route etc…..

My whole point here isn’t trying to bash anyone, I guess what I’m trying to convey rather poorly is that people really should of done their research about the role prior to applying, so they truly understand what they’re getting into. Especially if you’ve never worked a railway job before.

IFeelTheNeed

Also sometimes even information from managers themselves is wildly inaccurate. I was in a Freightliner Ltd interview in 2020 and they told me people qualify in 6 months...
Now that I actually know a lot more about the railway...I know that is impossible...

Carl98k

As I said mate, seems a bizarre time to be asking those sorts of questions when you’re at the interview stage. Given how long the application process can be.
Perhaps it’s just me and I like to ensure I know what I’m applying to before I go ahead and just do it.
Freight especially requires a lifestyle. It’s more than just a job,
Starting from training where you’ll be required to lodge for the duration (most people don’t realise this)
To shift patterns during un-social patterns.

Most people don’t actually consider what the job entails, from long periods of boredom you might have to sit with a train for hours waiting for relief because of issue on your route etc…..

My whole point here isn’t trying to bash anyone, I guess what I’m trying to convey rather poorly is that people really should of done their research about the role prior to applying, so they truly understand what they’re getting into. Especially if you’ve never worked a railway job before.
Maybe you were fortunate enough to know more about. I’d asked friends who are on the railway and looked on here before applying. And while you can get an idea of what’s entailed, you won’t get the whole picture. And the whole point of an interview is to ask questions and find out more.

I was told by people on here that freight is unsociable hours, lots of nights and weekends. So I was aware of this snd accepted it. Turns out the depot I’m working from is Monday to Friday and mainly days.

So while I get what you’re saying, this proves you can never get the true picture of the job unless you’re actually doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.