• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dual voltage Desiros and Electrostars

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Class 380s are meant to start introducing some of the technology that Siemens will use in the DesiroCity (being proposed for Thameslink), so will take the best of the original Desiro units and marry them with some of the improvements for the next generation of units.

Shame Alstom ran into so many problems with the Coradia, Atlante and Juniper families. SWT ordered 30 Junipers, and it is likely they'd have gone with that family for their slam door replacement. But there were so many issues they jumped ship and went with Siemens. Now a 458 is a very noisey ride inside!

After my trip down to london, and going all sorts of places on desiros, i am not surprised. Theyre far better than any alstom emu ive been on, in fact i reckon the desiros i was on in the big smoke beat all of glasgows electrics hands down, in terms of comfort and ride quality anyway.

I am more than happy to see the introduction of desiros to scotland.

(while my favourite train of all time is admittedly the shabby class 314s, this is purely an enthusiast view, before i was properly into trains i used to hate them, and some of the routes they run really could be done a lot better by the new 380s)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
Yeah, they're pretty good trains by modern standards. The 360/1s are a bit ratty these days though, and could use a bit of a deep clean/refresh.

Thank god Alstom did screw up with the Junipers, to think of having those things across the SWT network is not a good thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.