• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dullingham. East Anglia's P.I.T.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffolk_lp3

A major pain in the arse, welcome to Dullingham.

Almost a year on: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86512 from the previous set of issues - they are back with a vengence.

Over the last few weeks, numerous signalling problems plague the area and cause delays of 15 mins... 30 mins... 1 hour... 1hr+.. bus substitutions etc.

Recently there have been issues on: Jun 13th, Jun 20th, Jun 26th, Jun 27th, Jul 3rd & today, with 30 minute delays until the end of service.

What I don't understand is this from mid-morning to late afternoon the service was suspended yesterday to fix the issue... yet despite a 6/7 hour downtime yesterday, the problem appears to have reoccured today?

I honestly believe that there is no other location on the UK rail network that gets plagued by issues as much as the line between Chippenham Junction and Cambridge.

Surely Network Rail must be starting to realise that maybe something a little more drastic needs to be done to improve the service on this line. What could be causing all the problems so often?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nickswift99

A major pain in the arse, welcome to Dullingham.

Almost a year on: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86512 from the previous set of issues - they are back with a vengence.

Over the last few weeks, numerous signalling problems plague the area and cause delays of 15 mins... 30 mins... 1 hour... 1hr+.. bus substitutions etc.

Recently there have been issues on: Jun 13th, Jun 20th, Jun 26th, Jun 27th, Jul 3rd & today, with 30 minute delays until the end of service.

What I don't understand is this from mid-morning to late afternoon the service was suspended yesterday to fix the issue... yet despite a 6/7 hour downtime yesterday, the problem appears to have reoccured today?

I honestly believe that there is no other location on the UK rail network that gets plagued by issues as much as the line between Chippenham Junction and Cambridge.

Surely Network Rail must be starting to realise that maybe something a little more drastic needs to be done to improve the service on this line. What could be causing all the problems so often?

I think the Slough area must be a close contender, if not runner up

GB

Established Member

The main issue yesterday was a points run through following earlier signalling problems. Not sure what todays problem is.

dk1

Veteran Member
Been saying this for years. Such a dreadfully unreliable system. Route is now busier than it ever has been but I doubt much will happen now as we are only a few years away from transfer over to Romford ROC.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Been saying this for years. Such a dreadfully unreliable system. Route is now busier than it ever has been but I doubt much will happen now as we are only a few years away from transfer over to Romford ROC.

Is it a re-signaling or just a re-control? If it is a re-control will it actually eliminate the cause of the problem or will it still be there under the control of the ROC? If so, the people supervising it will have wider areas of responsibility and thus be less able to deal with the problem.

It continues into today with the 05:10 Ipswich to Cambridge and the return 06:42 Cambridge to Ipswich running to/from Newmarket.

The GA website mentions continued disruption expected for all of Saturday.

dk1

Veteran Member
It continues into today with the 05:10 Ipswich to Cambridge and the return 06:42 Cambridge to Ipswich running to/from Newmarket.

The GA website mentions continued disruption expected for all of Saturday.
Where hoping to get an extra unit to Ipswich for step-ups but very short of drivers.

suffolk_lp3

Must be fairly serious for the same situation to apply today. I do wonder if it is at all connected with the points run through incident above.

Some services seem to be going through to Cambridge from Newmarket (delayed about 20 mins) but the rest are starting/terminating at Newmarket.

Must be fairly serious for the same situation to apply today. I do wonder if it is at all connected with the points run through incident above.

Some services seem to be going through to Cambridge from Newmarket (delayed about 20 mins) but the rest are starting/terminating at Newmarket.

Seems strange they are being turned at Newmarket as sometimes when there is a problem down there such as tresspassers at Fulbourn they run to Ely instead

GB

Established Member
Its my understanding that the same points that were run through the other day developed a power issue preventing movements through platform 1 at Dullingham. I couldn't tell you if the two incidents are connected.

Class 170101

Established Member
Seems strange they are being turned at Newmarket as sometimes when there is a problem down there such as tresspassers at Fulbourn they run to Ely instead

I didn't think tokenless Block system in use worked for turning at Newmarket. Ely though itself is restricted due to the single line between there and Soham.

I didn't think tokenless Block system in use worked for turning at Newmarket. Ely though itself is restricted due to the single line between there and Soham.

Is there any news on when it will be re doubled and the new station at Soham

Or is it still talk that's gone quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.