• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dusseldorf airport - onward trains to Frankfurt (Hbf)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
Train tickets though are still relatively reasonable even at short notice. I paid about £150 return Manchester-Frankfurt with Lufthansa not very long ago (maybe 18 months), but those prices are I think history now. The fare for the aeroplane as of today (economy) is nearly £600 Frankfurt from Manchester for the same trip
The Lufthansa web-site is quoting less than £90 for a return trip from Manchester to Frankfurt from November onwards, and there appears to be plenty of availability on the sample dates I checked. £150 for Manchester to Dusseldorf, again plenty of availability on the sample dates I checked. Of course, the availability of cheap flights drops rapidly the closer the date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The Lufthansa web-site is quoting less than £90 for a return trip from Manchester to Frankfurt from November onwards, and there appears to be plenty of availability on the sample dates I checked. £150 for Manchester to Dusseldorf, again plenty of availability on the sample dates I checked. Of course, the availability of cheap flights drops rapidly the closer the date.

These prices are also at times /days when nobody wants to fly. Try searching for a Monday / Tuesday morning departure with a Thursday / Friday afternoon return - £300 minimum, (I use this route often).

Belperpete

Established Member
These prices are also at times /days when nobody wants to fly. Try searching for a Monday / Tuesday morning departure with a Thursday / Friday afternoon return - £300 minimum, (I use this route often).
Well of course you are unlikely to find cheap flights on the days/times when all the business people prefer travelling. Monday mornings and Friday afternoons in particular are notoriously expensive. I can't remember now the dates that I tried, but there were seats available at the prices I quoted on weekday mid-days.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Is it necessary to record the UK Outbound journey (i.e. LIV-EUS) in the "Travel Diary" part of the pass, (I have filled out the date DD/MM in the section provided)?

Edit: I've had a RTFM moment (I do need these details recording).:oops:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
08:47 fro LIV to EUS no problems whatsoever, but Stafford looks like something in the Everglades (north and south).

12:58 Eurostar delayed by approx. 30 minutes departing St. Pancras and never made-up any time, so I missed my 16:22 ICE departure from Brussels Midi to Frankfurt by some considerable margin.

Just boarded the (next direct) 18:25 ICE from Brussels Midi to Frankfurt and bizarrely, it waited 10 minutes for the delayed 15:04 train from St. Pancras to arrive, (so I guess there is a knock-on from earlier. - Note to self, have a lie-in next time)?

It is certainly more relaxing than flying and although the Eurostar meal is not extravagant, it is so much better than any airline offering (much better than Lufthansa Business Class) and I would use this route again. The stewards are also very accommodating, so asking for more wine is never a problem!

Added bonus of being delayed at Brussels Midi is that the bar on the opposite side of the street to the station entrance (Brasserie Europa) serves really good beer.

Edit: Just stopped at Liege on the 18:25 ICE 19 from Brussels Midi. Despite this carriage being almost completely empty (there are maybe 5 people in the whole carriage), unbeknown to me, I was sat in a reserved seat and the bloke who has just boarded insisted I moved, (I'd just had my dinner served, so I had to upsticks pronto with dinner and beer in tow)!

The DB meatballs and potato salad with 500ml beer (served at your seat) at €9.90 is a bargain.

I would choose this over air travel every time, but as I'm normally being paid by the day, I'm not sure my customers would approve?

Last edited:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation

Veteran Member
Currently stopped at Siegburg/Bonn station and the train manager has just announced there is an accident infront of our train and it looks like the service may be terminated here?

Awating updates.......................... (but the £200 more expensive 'plane journey is starting to look like better value ATM)!
Not your lucky day then (apart from the wine).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Not your lucky day then (apart from the wine).

Underway again and I just managed to catch the 22:06 to Heidelberg which was itself delayed by approx. 15 minutes, (otherwise it would have been another 60-odd minute wait).

Spoke to the train manager on the ICE 19 (who was very helpful and spoke perfect English) and the delay at Siegburg/Bonn was caused by the preceeing train striking a wild boar! The track had to be inspected before we could continue................... spare ribs anyone?

Just arriving at Darmstadt as I type (22:38 local time, 12 minutes late).

Just glad Mrs Grumpy isn't with me as it would be the last time we came by train!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The return journey was spot on time wise until the 22:36 LNW service from Crewe - Lime St. was cancelled, (see LNWR thread).

I have to be honest and say commercially, due to the distance and time taken this journey would not make any sense. I enjoyed the experience and would do it again if the cost was 50% less than flying (as in this case) and again time was not an issue, but if I was "on a job" where time is everything, no, it wouldn't be viable.

If I lived close to London and worked in the Amsterdam / Brussels / Paris areas or northern mainland Europe only, then I would use it every time without doubt. I was very impressed with the customer service on the Eurostar.

Status
Not open for further replies.