• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-Tickets v Print at Home Tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
dangerous nonsense such as this
Whilst I am inclined to agree that it would have been better not mentioned, the line you quote is a very long way from being ‘dangerous nonsense’. It is, very clearly, a joke.

westv

Established Member
Whilst I am inclined to agree that it would have been better not mentioned, the line you quote is a very long way from being ‘dangerous nonsense’. It is, very clearly, a joke.
Bill Gates told me it was true.

_toommm_

Established Member
Then I think it would have been better if you hadn't mentioned it at all, especially when it gives rise to dangerous nonsense such as this:

For clarity, I’ve had both jabs, and I’m the furthest from an anti-vaxxer you can get. It was clearly satire.

JB_B

Established Member
To be fair to @MikeWh, earlier today I had a "chat" with a gang of Anti-Vaxxers protesting outside a vaccination centre near me - they're fun to laugh at from a distance but face-to-face nothing erodes your sense of humour quicker. If I'd seen post #15 straight after, I could easlily have posed something similar.

mmh

Established Member
Fine looks like I'll be using the forum a lot less in future as less well informed users are so certain of the rubbish they're spouting.
To be fair, you did rather encourage non-serious replies with your "something is coming, but it's Top Secret so if I told you I'd have to kill you!" approach!

So, to be more serious, I hope whatever an s-ticket is leads to improved standardisation. Unfortunately I'm too cynical to automatically assume it will though!

alistairlees

Established Member
To be fair, you did rather encourage non-serious replies with your "something is coming, but it's Top Secret so if I told you I'd have to kill you!" approach!

So, to be more serious, I hope whatever an s-ticket is leads to improved standardisation. Unfortunately I'm too cynical to automatically assume it will though!
It’s another standard. The rail industry is great at creating new standards - after all, it gives people something to do - but terrible at getting rid of old ones. See ‘self print’, which I’ve been trying to kill of for 5+ years. Or m-tickets (similar). Etc.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It’s another standard. The rail industry is great at creating new standards - after all, it gives people something to do - but terrible at getting rid of old ones. See ‘self print’, which I’ve been trying to kill of for 5+ years. Or m-tickets (similar). Etc.
About that ‘like’ button…

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Meanwhile how many more years will ToD soldier on for...

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I can't help but feel this XKCD comic is relevant at this point:

standards.png

infobleep

Veteran Member
Is the problem software suppliers or is it management higher io in a company resisting change? Or maybe something else?

I've come across software suppliers not modernising. So you can get something beneficial and time saving but can't make use of it as the software doesn't support it.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Then I think it would have been better if you hadn't mentioned it at all, especially when it gives rise to dangerous nonsense such as this:

I suspect you might be reading _toommm_'s suggestion with a seriousness that was never intended!

Wallsendmag

Established Member

It's still out for consultation so isn't finalised

alistairlees

Established Member
Meanwhile how many more years will ToD soldier on for...
I’m working on it!

Is the problem software suppliers or is it management higher io in a company resisting change? Or maybe something else?

I've come across software suppliers not modernising. So you can get something beneficial and time saving but can't make use of it as the software doesn't support it.
No, the problem is not software suppliers. It is those that create and manage standards - RDG and the TOCs.

mmh

Established Member
A perfect example of this is something I just saw at a station I passed through. Three wheelchair ramps clamped to the wall with stickers on them saying which class of train each was for.

If, and it's a big if, it happens, by the time electronic / mobile ticketing has been standardised it'll be near obsolete as the rest of the world will have moved on to some new invention.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m working on it!
You’re not alone!
No, the problem is not software suppliers. It is those that create and manage standards - RDG and the TOCs.
TIS suppliers do play a part - there have to be overlapping standards to allow them all time to achieve accreditation for new standards. Some suppliers can be quite slow, especially if their customers are reluctant to pay.

alistairlees

Established Member
You’re not alone!

TIS suppliers do play a part - there have to be overlapping standards to allow them all time to achieve accreditation for new standards. Some suppliers can be quite slow, especially if their customers are reluctant to pay.
Different versions of each standard, I think you mean? Normally 12 months is allowed to upgrade to the latest standard.

The customers you refer to be would be the TOCs and RDG, which change the standards. It seems reasonable that, if they ask suppliers to make changes, they should pay for these? If they don't want to pay, then best not to make changes?

Many suppliers do much work for free, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick. This is how the eTicket standard was created - it was a collaboration between two TIS suppliers and three of their TOC customers to create a new standard, with each contributing its time freely and collaboratively. The result was the most successful and cost-effective roll out of a new fulfilment type ever - with really positive customer feedback. I think we should follow that model when doing new things. It is usually not followed though.

plugwash

Established Member
I guess what everyone is wondering is what are the perceived or real problems with the current e-ticket system that a new standard is needed for fix.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I guess what everyone is wondering is what are the perceived or real problems with the current e-ticket system that a new standard is needed for fix.
The thing is, from a passenger perspective (which is the only perspective I have, as I do not work in the industry), there aren't really any. The advantage of an e-ticket is that the standard is separate from the medium - an E-ticket can appear on any mobile computing device, can be put onto paper of any size as long as the barcode and text are readable, and will be compatible with almost anything else you might want to fulfill a ticket to in the future as long as it can render a reasonably high resolution image. I find it a little strange that more TOCs haven't switched their ticket offices over to selling printed e-tickets.

We will wait and see what reason there is for this new standard (judging by the way the railway has liked to describe things, I will be exceptionally unsurprised if the S in S-ticket stands for 'smart'). I can't really think of anything that could majorly improve on a world where everything is issued as some form of e-ticket, beyond possibly a harmonisation of the underlying formats between smartcards and paper/screens, which could speed things up by allowing a smartphone with an NFC chip to use that instead of a barcode. But again, we will have to wait and see.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Nobody's ever explained to me why CCST needs to go.
  • The stock is expensive to produce
  • The tickets are not recyclable as paper due to the magstripe
  • The magstripe can be erased by being next to something magnetic, unlike a barcode
  • Unlike e-tickets, the magstripe doesn't encode a unique identifier for each ticket, which makes it harder to detect fraud
  • CCST readers in ticket gates are expensive and fail too often.
There are probably a million other reasons too, but those are the ones I can immediately think of

alistairlees

Established Member
  • The stock is expensive to produce
  • The tickets are not recyclable as paper due to the magstripe
  • The magstripe can be erased by being next to something magnetic, unlike a barcode
  • Unlike e-tickets, the magstripe doesn't encode a unique identifier for each ticket, which makes it harder to detect fraud
  • CCST readers in ticket gates are expensive and fail too often.
There are probably a million other reasons too, but those are the ones I can immediately think of
Basically: it’s completely proprietary. And that means expensive to produce, maintain and integrate. Embracing more open standards is the way to go.

What we need is a system of totally format agnostic e-tickets, so if you book one you can print it at a TVM if you want, for example. And if you buy a ticket at a TVM or booking office it is an e-ticket.
We don't need anything involving integration with TVMs. They are expensive enough as it is.

The thing is, from a passenger perspective (which is the only perspective I have, as I do not work in the industry), there aren't really any. The advantage of an e-ticket is that the standard is separate from the medium - an E-ticket can appear on any mobile computing device, can be put onto paper of any size as long as the barcode and text are readable, and will be compatible with almost anything else you might want to fulfill a ticket to in the future as long as it can render a reasonably high resolution image. I find it a little strange that more TOCs haven't switched their ticket offices over to selling printed e-tickets.

We will wait and see what reason there is for this new standard (judging by the way the railway has liked to describe things, I will be exceptionally unsurprised if the S in S-ticket stands for 'smart'). I can't really think of anything that could majorly improve on a world where everything is issued as some form of e-ticket, beyond possibly a harmonisation of the underlying formats between smartcards and paper/screens, which could speed things up by allowing a smartphone with an NFC chip to use that instead of a barcode. But again, we will have to wait and see.
Basically it's eTickets for higher value products, like seasons.

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
I preferred to print eTickets and I usually print two sets, one and spare just in case and I take a photo of it, it requires no batteries and better than a card ticket which you don't want to lose even if you take a photo of it like I do.

Never fancied electronic mobile tickets, heard of passengers being charged when their phone fails or battery runs flat, then you have to go through the faff to get your money back, it is NOT a customer friendly system.

Status
Not open for further replies.