• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Earlsfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

elagueesti

Stuck on an SWT London bound at Raynes Park - apparently someone hit by a train at Earlsfield. Anyone know anything?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Jobs stopped and trains stacking on both down and up through there. Ticket acceptance in place on local bus routes.

No news on any fatalities yet though
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Advice is also to Use District line to Wimbledon if possible, major disruption from Waterloo tonight.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Earlsfield station is now closed. All services through the area suspended.

TP

elagueesti

Earlsfield station is now closed. All services through the area suspended.

TP

Just seen a northbound leave Wimbledon for Wloo. Local buses were rammed, the queue took up most of the pavement at Raynes Park. I walked to the stop before so I could get on, ha!

tsr

Established Member
Tickets will be accepted on FGW and Southern until further notice.

I'd say severe disruption should be expected for most, if not all, of the evening.

Extremely unfortunate, given the time of day and any extra Christmas traffic... but even more unfortunate and sad for the train driver, response staff, witnesses, the victim and their family etc.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Stuck at Woking since 1830 :-x

Not pleased as I chose to miss the train before to get a ticket for tommorow! And I will miss my works Xmas do at Waterloo!

Got no alternative route to Clapham junc either!

adc82140

Established Member
My wife is up in London at the theatre this evening- I'm expecting her back at Farnborough late evening- I think I'll advise her to make for Paddington and travel to Farnborough North.

tsr

Established Member
I understand the incident caused a massive, erm, amount of carnage. The lines through Earlsfield have artially reopened, though.

GodAtum

On Moderation
My problem is that sWT will obviously have priority for trains going out if Waterloo at this time if day so my train in will be very slow!

Rich McLean

Established Member
Yep, only the fast lines opened, disruption will continue until end of service, I hope everyone manages to get home and that those involved with the incident are ok

nlogax

Established Member
Just got home the long way round via Twickenham / Kingston and a bus. It's not pretty out there, incorrect info on the Windsor lines matrix displays, services stopping short at Kingston and running fast back to W'loo via Twickenham.

Horrible circumstance. This feels like an increasing event out on the lines in and out of Waterloo this last 12 months. The poor family must be going through hell.

tsr

Established Member
It doesn't help that some commuters (and yes, I don't mean the one-off non-regular passengers) have no sense of railway geography and are incapable of looking at the copious rail maps online and at the stations. I really do appreciate that the situation is hard for passengers, having been in similar circumstances myself a number of times, but SWT's Twitter team can do without dozens of people telling them that Southern and FGW (the ticket acceptance partners) can't get them to Guildford, Southampton and Portsmouth, which is totally untrue at this time of the evening. If they're accepting tickets, surely they have useful alternative routes to offer, eh?

/rant - sorry, but I just had to say it.

The Colonel

Yep, only the fast lines opened, disruption will continue until end of service, I hope everyone manages to get home and that those involved with the incident are ok

Presumably from this it was on the slow lines? Usually expect them on the fast lines. No doubt I'll get a few moans tomorrow morning.

Smod

Got caught up in this at Waterloo. I was on the 1748 - just about the time everything ground to a halt.

One question - I was stuck at Waterloo for around 90 minutes. In that time I saw one other train depart. I assumed that some of the Woking trains would be diverted via Staines and Chertsey (or even via East Putney) but given that my train was probably first due out and ran via Earlsfield I imagine this didn't happen. Would this be because the rush hour service on the Windsor lines precluded it? Or did a few get through that way?

ushawk

Established Member
Stuck at Woking since 1830 :-x

Not pleased as I chose to miss the train before to get a ticket for tommorow! And I will miss my works Xmas do at Waterloo!

Got no alternative route to Clapham junc either!

Bit of a diversion, but travelling via Guildford and Redhill would have been your best bet.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Presumably from this it was on the slow lines? Usually expect them on the fast lines. No doubt I'll get a few moans tomorrow morning.

Yep, happened on the Down Slow. However, they did a remarkable job at getting the lines re-open in the time that they did and Jobs moving again. Reason all lines were closed was as they had to turn off the juice so that emergency services could gain access to the track

Credit where credit is due to SWT, NR and the emergency services

455driver

Veteran Member
Horrible circumstance. This feels like an increasing event out on the lines in and out of Waterloo this last 12 months. The poor family must be going through hell.

Probably about as much as the driver involved and rail staff who have to clean up the mess not only at the site of the "incident" but also under the train.
Got caught up in this at Waterloo. I was on the 1748 - just about the time everything ground to a halt.

One question - I was stuck at Waterloo for around 90 minutes. In that time I saw one other train depart. I assumed that some of the Woking trains would be diverted via Staines and Chertsey (or even via East Putney)

Do the driver and guard sign the alternative routes?
Line and power capacity over the East Putney is very limited as well.

tsr

Established Member

One question - I was stuck at Waterloo for around 90 minutes. In that time I saw one other train depart. I assumed that some of the Woking trains would be diverted via Staines and Chertsey (or even via East Putney) but given that my train was probably first due out and ran via Earlsfield I imagine this didn't happen. Would this be because the rush hour service on the Windsor lines precluded it? Or did a few get through that way?

Some services were reported as diverted via various routes, including at least one via East Putney.

Were you able to leave the train or were you stuck just outside Waterloo? I'm just wondering because 90 minutes sounds like a lot of time to stay in the same place without seeking an alternative route (unless there wasn't one to your destination).

cjohnson

Were any SWT services being diverted via the LUL lines? Passed a rammed 455 outside Wimbledon around 7 that looked as though it had come that way, but couldn't be sure as it was dark.

tsr

Established Member
Were any SWT services being diverted via the LUL lines? Passed a rammed 455 outside Wimbledon around 7 that looked as though it had come that way, but couldn't be sure as it was dark.

Yes - as above, I believe at least one service was, although I can't remember which one!

GodAtum

On Moderation
Well I was on the 1800 from Guildford and did not get into Waterloo until 2000 then only arrived back at east Croydon at 2115!

WTF!! Just found out that I will not get a refund because it was a fatality :-x

Last edited:

wimbledonpete

I ended up going Clapham Junction-Balham-Morden-163 bus-Walk to Motspur Park but it only took 45 minutes. I was lucky - everything turned up to perfection so it could have been a lot worse. Horrible for the people who have to deal with these incidents.

adc82140

Established Member
Ended up picking my wife up from Twyford!! It's only a 20-odd minute drive from Farnborough, without the need to deal with Reading town centre, so I guessed it was the best bet. Connections form Reading to Farnborough North are scarce at 11pm.

But all credit to SWT for attempting to get the job running again- glad it wasn't me trying to sort out that lot- trains in the wrong place, drivers & guards in the wrong place, drivers & guards out of hours (is it as strict as the airline industry?), trying to find a driver & guard that sign the traction and the diversionary routes etc etc :shock:

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member

It upsets you that you wont get a refund?

All heart arent you!
drivers & guards out of hours (is it as strict as the airline industry?)

Easy answer- yes.

The drivers and guards hours can be extended a little if a manager is willing to sign it off, but the chances of a manager allowing traincrew to break the hidden recommendations are very slim.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

Train operating companies are not required to give delay repay where the circumstances surrounding the delay were out of the rail industry's control, these include persons under a train.

These are set out in Conditions 44 & 45 of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage:

44. Circumstances that are within a Train Company’s control
For the purposes of Conditions 42, 43 and 52, circumstances that are within a Train
Company’s control include the negligent or wilful acts or omission of its, or a Rail Service
Company’s, staff or agents.

45. Circumstances that are not within a Train Company’s control
For the purposes of Conditions 42, 43 and 52, circumstances that are not within a Train
Company’s control include:
(a) acts or threats of vandalism or terrorism;
(b) suicides or accidents involving trespassers;
(c) gas leaks or fires in lineside buildings not caused by a Train Company or a Rail
Service Company or any of their staff or agents;
(d) line closures at the request of the police or emergency services;
(e) exceptionally severe weather conditions;
(f) riots or civil commotion; and
(g) fire, mechanical or electrical failure or a defect (except where this is caused by
a Train Company or Rail Service Company or their staff or agents, or as a result of
the condition of a Train Company’s trains).

GodAtum

On Moderation
But I got a refund from SWT when there was severe weather on the 5th Dec this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.