• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast 1st Class Lounge Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I was in the above yesterday morning - what a trail it was to find and then up all those stairs to ......

A Coffee Machine, a few biscuits and fun sized packets of crisps - didn't see any pop.

However there was a redeeming element an old lady of 80 who was the only "staff member" ( a cleaner)

"Help yersell son tae whitever yae like" - she was regaling me about the ills of working for her contract cleaning company-a real diamond.

Is this all there is on offer normally and is the Scotrail one any better ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ScotRail Customer lounge at Edinburgh station.

wintonian

Established Member
Yes, the tiny lounge that's never open!

and when it is the staff are in there watching football and eating pizza thats just been delivered!

They also seemed a bit put out that a customer actually walked into the staff lounge. :roll:

Butts

Veteran Member
Well aside from staff eating pizzas is there any fayre available for paying members of the public with 1st Class Tickets :p

Also is a new lounge on the cards within the current refurbishment taking place ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Sorry, can see it now, I've seen that before but it completely slipped my mind.

Can I ask, why did you use the EC one and not the SR one, that's assuming you used SR to get to Leuchars? Further, if you were curious, why didn't you go and check the SR lounge too?

scotsman

Established Member
The ScotRail lounge has always been open, bar one occasion, and it's quite nice

Butts

Veteran Member
Sorry, can see it now, I've seen that before but it completely slipped my mind.

Can I ask, why did you use the EC one and not the SR one, that's assuming you used SR to get to Leuchars? Further, if you were curious, why didn't you go and check the SR lounge too?

Well when i got there the EC was open (think it opens at 0630) but the other one opens later. As I couldn't find either I asked a staff member and it happened I was closer to EC Lounge. My companion for the Edinburgh University visit arrived before I had the chance to find and utilise the SRL. I would have gone out of curiosity , but planned to check it out before going onwards to Leuchars on my return later.

When we got back her train was cancelled so I waited with her until the next one was due. As she didn't have a 1st Class Ticket it would have been ungallant to abandon her and head off in search of the SRL. By the time her next train left I had to catch mine to Leuchars. In theory I could have got the next one and sought the SRL but from the sound of it I made the right decision.

wintonian

Established Member
Well aside from staff eating pizzas is there any fayre available for paying members of the public with 1st Class Tickets :p

Tea/ Coffee from the machine, biscuits and pretzels, with ghastly purple seats.

When I was last up there I tried using it on 2 days morning and on return in the evening and only found it open once.

The website says it opens at 08:45 one morning upon asking I was informed upon asking it was 09:00 and at 09:30 it still wasn't open.

Butts

Veteran Member

Would you care to elaborate - is it better than the EC one?

Thanks Wintonian we crossed over !!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can anyone remember what the Edinburgh Lounges were like twenty or thirty years ago ?

Did you used to get decent fayre ie bacon rolls or the like ?

wintonian

Established Member
Would you care to elaborate - is it better than the EC one?

Don't know didn't have a ticket valid on EC and in any case when I was wondering around the station the EC staff didn't like me on their platform and directed me away. How did they know my ticket wasn't valid on EC? Well I got stopped and asked where I was going to.

Butts

Veteran Member
How many other Stations have more than one 1st Class Lounge provided by different TOC's ?

Did Edinburgh have three when the Virgin/Cross Country one used to be there as well ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
No, there were no VT 1st Class lounges at VXC stations (or those with limited VTWC services like HYM and EDB were).

Butts

Veteran Member
No, there were no VT 1st Class lounges at VXC stations (or those with limited VTWC services like HYM and EDB were).

Perhaps it was just a waiting room or enquiry place - it was opposite Costa Coffee if I remember rightly.

wintonian

Established Member
How many other Stations have more than one 1st Class Lounge provided by different TOC's ?

Did Edinburgh have three when the Virgin/Cross Country one used to be there as well ?

Just Edinburgh I think.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Perhaps it was just a waiting room or enquiry place - it was opposite Costa Coffee if I remember rightly.

'Opposite' doesn't really help when it's in the middle of a massive concourse ;)

You could be thinking of what would have been the GNER travel centre, next to the toilets and currently in the hands of East Coast.

Butts

Veteran Member
'Opposite' doesn't really help when it's in the middle of a massive concourse ;)

You could be thinking of what would have been the GNER travel centre, next to the toilets and currently in the hands of East Coast.

Well you have the enclosed quadrant with the ticket office etc in, to the left of that was a sort of alley it was down there. If you know where the pasty stall is it was just down from there. It may be inaccessible or knocked down by now with all the alterations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just Edinburgh I think.

Begs the question why Glasgow hasn't got a "proper one":oops:

Why has Edinburgh got two ? - You would think one of the London Stations would warrant this with their level of footfall !

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The 'alley' at the side of the booking office goes down to the toilets. Behind the wall on the right of there is the current EC 1st Class lounge, but I suspect it was the GNER lounge then, they must have moved the entrance since. Either way, it wouldn't have been VT-run.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Begs the question why Glasgow hasn't got a "proper one":oops:

Why has Edinburgh got two ? - You would think one of the London Stations would warrant this with their level of footfall !

Glasgow Central did, but it was closed by VT a while back when SR withdrew their funding to let Sleeper customers in there, yet they still wanted them to be admitted with VT not receiving any money for it, or something like that. edinburgh exists because both SR and EC have 1st Class lounge schemes, and only allow users of their TOC to use them. This situation is quite rare on the network.

Butts

Veteran Member
The 'alley' at the side of the booking office goes down to the toilets. Behind the wall on the right of there is the current EC 1st Class lounge, but I suspect it was the GNER lounge then, they must have moved the entrance since. Either way, it wouldn't have been VT-run.

Thanks is Glasgow Central the biggest station (mainline termini) in the UK by footfall that hasn't got a First Class Lounge - why do people have to go to a Hotel its ridiculous !!

wintonian

Established Member
Thanks is Glasgow Central the biggest station (mainline termini) in the UK by footfall that hasn't got a First Class Lounge - why do people have to go to a Hotel its ridiculous !!

and do people use the hotel?

I didn't as it seems rather strange and wasn't really sure if I would be welcome or not.

bengolding

I last used the EC Edinburgh lounge during the Festival. Very badly signposted, indeed so much so that I entered through the fire exit door directly to the stairs without having to get my valid ticket checked next door :).

Nice spacious lounge but shame there is no longer an at-seat service.

Butts

Veteran Member
I last used the EC Edinburgh lounge during the Festival. Very badly signposted, indeed so much so that I entered through the fire exit door directly to the stairs without having to get my valid ticket checked next door :).

Nice spacious lounge but shame there is no longer an at-seat service.

So you could have blagged it......<D

I suppose a coffee machine and biscuits serve themselves - anyone who has to pay to get in will be disappointed :oops:

Its more of a Flybe Lounge than BA:p

Status
Not open for further replies.