• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Cab Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
No chance of getting a cab ride, you would need to get a driver manager to accompany you and even would have to undergo the relevant safety check!!
Personally I think it unbelievable you think you can turn up on the day and get one<(

What is the relevant safety check?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baldieman

Thanks for all the responses folks, very much appreciated.

I knew it would be a long shot but had no idea what the laws/rules were governing this kind of thing. As a qualified commercial pilot myself it is something that we were prohibited by law from granting after 9/11, much to the chargrin of the great majority of aircrew flying around the world. Before 9/11 it was always welcome and indeed, as a young flyer I had many a jumpseat for the landing and take off on numerous airline trips across the world which inspired me later to follow a career in the skies. :)

It surprises me that there are no such laws prohibiting members of the public from riding in the train cabins too, and is purely down to TOC operations guidelines. I have a friend who drives for NXEA and he says it is very hard to arrange at his company although he is still trying to butter up the right manager on the right day!

Anyway, as far as my journey at the weekend goes, I shall surfice with just a chat (hopefully) with a driver (if I spot one) and enjoy the privilages of the buffet cart instead! :p

Kind regards,

Baldieman.

PS: Regarding flight deck visits, most airlines will welcome you to the flight deck before engine start up or (more likely) after engine shutdown. The law states no unauthorised person on the FD whilst engines are running. Hope this helps for interested people here. :)

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
There used to be something in Poland where you could drive a steam train on the mainline in service, saw it in a rail mag a couple of years ago. The cost was a fair bit I think, plus of course you had to get over there too.

Don't know if they still do it though as I forget what it was called.

Grantham

Thanks for all the responses folks, very much appreciated.

I knew it would be a long shot but had no idea what the laws/rules were governing this kind of thing. As a qualified commercial pilot myself it is something that we were prohibited by law from granting after 9/11, much to the chargrin of the great majority of aircrew flying around the world. Before 9/11 it was always welcome and indeed, as a young flyer I had many a jumpseat for the landing and take off on numerous airline trips across the world which inspired me later to follow a career in the skies. :)

It surprises me that there are no such laws prohibiting members of the public from riding in the train cabins too, and is purely down to TOC operations guidelines. I have a friend who drives for NXEA and he says it is very hard to arrange at his company although he is still trying to butter up the right manager on the right day!

Anyway, as far as my journey at the weekend goes, I shall surfice with just a chat (hopefully) with a driver (if I spot one) and enjoy the privilages of the buffet cart instead! :p

Kind regards,

Baldieman.

PS: Regarding flight deck visits, most airlines will welcome you to the flight deck before engine start up or (more likely) after engine shutdown. The law states no unauthorised person on the FD whilst engines are running. Hope this helps for interested people here. :)

I think the rules are so different because it's so difficult to fly a train into the side of a building! Some railway companies allow cab riders but sadly not over there in the UK, by the look of it. They seem to think that they desparately need to be wrapped up in cotton wool, by the look of it. :roll:

I only say this having given more cabrides than I've had hot breakfasts, and if you've given and received cockpit rides, you'll understand all that is involved until company rules are invoked.

GB

Established Member
Some railway companies allow cab riders but sadly not over there in the UK, by the look of it.

There a plenty of companies that offer cab rides, but the caveat of it is that it has to be arranged by the people in charge and you have to have a good reason for it.

They seem to think that they desparately need to be wrapped up in cotton wool, by the look of it. :roll:

Its not about wrapping someone in cotton wool, its about risk mitigation and accountability.

sonorguy

No thanks to Bin Laden thats a definite no no! Back in September 2000 our twins were invited into a Quantas cockpit between Perth and Sydney (with their dad of course!) It was an incredible act of kindness and something which I will never forget :)

As said before, not a definite no, only on US/UK carriers in US/UK airspace. outside of this it's still possible but less likely than before.

Grantham

There a plenty of companies that offer cab rides, but the caveat of it is that it has to be arranged by the people in charge and you have to have a good reason for it.

Its not about wrapping someone in cotton wool, its about risk mitigation and accountability.

Only in the United Kingdom could you possibly ever have to have a "good reason" for wanting a cab ride! I have received and given so many cab rides, I think I know what I am talking about. Anyone who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about, they certainly have no experience in the matter!

I should say that I will tell anyone to f@#! off if they fail the attitude test or the risk assessment...the risk assessment takes five seconds and is done in your head. If you you can't decide instantly that someone is ok or not to ride with you, then what does that say for your decision making process?

In the "old days", the driver was responsible for what happened in the engine. He was responsible to his railway company, who in turn were responsible to their government's department of transport. You were expected to do your work right, and in turn nothing was forbidden from you. These days, the modern management ideal is to trust nobody who works for you, and introduce a culture of fear into your workforce. You are no longer trusted to decide that Joe Bloggs is ok to ride with you, your judgement is not acceptable, you are forbidden from making any judgement. Every decision must be made by your managers on quantifyable grounds, nothing qualitative is ever to be introduced to a discussion.

"Risk mitigation" is modern speak for being wrapped up in cotton wool...go on, contradict me if your English language skills don't agree!

"Accountability" is modern speak for knowing who is to blame: There used to be something called "responsibility", but nobody is "responsible" on railways in the UK, they may only be "accountable".

baldieman

As said before, not a definite no, only on US/UK carriers in US/UK airspace. outside of this it's still possible but less likely than before.

This is true. Have heard of an Irish operator allowing people into the flight deck for landings into Dublin in recent years. Outside of the UK it is still possible but down to the discretion of the crew or black and white as per company standard operating procedures.

Baldieman.

Legzr1

Only in the United Kingdom could you possibly ever have to have a "good reason" for wanting a cab ride! I have received and given so many cab rides, I think I know what I am talking about. Anyone who hasn't done it doesn't know what they're talking about, they certainly have no experience in the matter!

I should say that I will tell anyone to f@#! off if they fail the attitude test or the risk assessment...the risk assessment takes five seconds and is done in your head. If you you can't decide instantly that someone is ok or not to ride with you, then what does that say for your decision making process?

In the "old days", the driver was responsible for what happened in the engine. He was responsible to his railway company, who in turn were responsible to their government's department of transport. You were expected to do your work right, and in turn nothing was forbidden from you. These days, the modern management ideal is to trust nobody who works for you, and introduce a culture of fear into your workforce. You are no longer trusted to decide that Joe Bloggs is ok to ride with you, your judgement is not acceptable, you are forbidden from making any judgement. Every decision must be made by your managers on quantifyable grounds, nothing qualitative is ever to be introduced to a discussion.

"Risk mitigation" is modern speak for being wrapped up in cotton wool...go on, contradict me if your English language skills don't agree!

"Accountability" is modern speak for knowing who is to blame: There used to be something called "responsibility", but nobody is "responsible" on railways in the UK, they may only be "accountable".

Why the anger?

It's a fact that it's very difficult to get cab rides in the UK.

The regulations in backward/3rd world countries (of varying sizes) may differ.

:D

TGV

Why the anger?

It's a fact that it's very difficult to get cab rides in the UK.

The regulations in backward/3rd world countries (of varying sizes) may differ.

:D

:D nice one.

Just to expand on that - a cab ride is impossible/highly unlikely/against regulations (choose the one that applies in your case) if there is no TI present in the cab with the driver and the rider.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thats intresting, do you know if it was expensive?

I'm pretty sure it was expensive.... but I'm not sure how expensive. But I am sure that a lot of people on here would be willing to pay quite a bit for a cab ride on the Gotthard classic route, which I think was ( is? ) available on that scheme...

Trog

Established Member
Another way to get a cab ride is to get a road learning ticket ;)

Or if you have more pride and value your self respect join the P Way and work your way up to a position, that requires you to do cab ride inspections of the track. :)

GadgetMan

Drivers that may have quietly allowed a passenger to cab ride in the past on a late train when there will not be any managers about are also less likely to break the rules these days. As people are too willing to take pics/videos etc and then brag on the internet with headcodes, dates, unit numbers and every other bit of detail dropping staff in the ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.