• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast catering changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The "Cafe Bar" is no more.
We now have the "Food Bar".

More 'new' stock and of course no mention of the items which are no longer available.
The coffee is no longer by Starbucks but now by that established brand of blandness - Nescafe. Apparently passengers have expressed their opinions. No doubt East Coast is still "listening to our customers" and will respond by reducing the quality or quantity of something else.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The only real change I can see, other than the hot options, is the fact that Nestle now supply all the confectionery as well as the coffee. No Mars products to be seen.

Whisper it quietly, but I think Azera is nicer than the Starbucks version. It'll be interesting to see if the cups get smaller. The real shame has to be that they're persisting with cartons of "looks like real phlegm" rather than proper milk.

Not sure about the branding though. FUBAR?

Last edited:

CallySleeper

Established Member
Sounds like EC have been doing some sort of corporate deal with their northern confectionery neighbours, if all they're stocking is same-brand chocolate and coffee. Money-making venture? Probably.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I can't say I noticed on my last trip to the buffet... However I did think to myself it was a surprisingly nice cup of coffee :)

Cafe Bar probably was overdoing what you got really - I've also seen passenegers who thought it would have a special area to sit and eat/drink, who went on to cause much congestion! That said I'm not sure "food bar" even sounds right!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've got an idea, how about "Go Eat"? It could feature quality locally sourced products from regional suppliers.

;)

cf111

Established Member
The nicest coffee I've had on a train in a long time was on CrossCountry. It was Starbucks, and I'm not normally that enamored by their stuff, but it was really good.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
The coffee is no longer by Starbucks but now by that established brand of blandness - Nescafe.

Not so good, but it might have been worse - for example the dreaded Douwe Egberts which has managed to infilitrate (hoho) itself into practically every hotel chain bedroom or even the totally tasteless "Mellow Birds". Personally I find Nescafe more crude than bland, but either way it's another lowering of standards by EastCoast.

eastdyke

Established Member
Rationalisation now in preparation for the time that only 'Scottish' coffee may be served north of Berwick.

Brodies perhaps?

TEW

Established Member
The nicest coffee I've had on a train in a long time was on CrossCountry. It was Starbucks, and I'm not normally that enamored by their stuff, but it was really good.

I don't mind the Starbucks stuff which is what you seem to get on most trolleys nowadays. I much prefer the current stuff served on FGW HSTs, think it's Lavazza. FGW have a habit of changing their coffee supplier quite frequently too.

Yew

Established Member
I agree, the starbucks stuff is alright.. However no instant, no matter how many 'microgranules' beats fresh filter coffee ;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm they've done away with the breakfast panini, shame I quite liked that.

AndrewP

The catering in first last week seemed better than it had been for a while but, as ever, a second cup of decaf coffee is an almost mythical creature.

On a separate note Virgin have just awarded their catering contract to DHL.

PG

Established Member
I've a (somewhat vague :oops:) recollection a couple of years back of them making a fanfare about the sandwiches having local content (which isn't now mentioned on the menu) from around the UK eg Cheese from Somerset -
Maybe the recent floods have prompted the change ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Does that mean we'll have to sign on one of those impossible electronic pads before we get anything? :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member

As long as the "Free Breakfast" remains I will have no complaints :p
The catering in first last week seemed better than it had been for a while but, as ever, a second cup of decaf coffee is an almost mythical creature.

Sounds like "the decaf" and toast have something in common :lol:

Sounds like EC have been doing some sort of corporate deal with their northern confectionery neighbours, if all they're stocking is same-brand chocolate and coffee. Money-making venture? Probably.

A company like EC will put it out to tender, Neslte look they have won the new contract hence the change in products

not last week, I had a panini on EC from Darlington

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Whoever complained about Douwe Egberts coffee, oi! I love it, so superior to Nescafe and Kenco! I've not yet encountered a hotel with Douwe Egberts coffee in it, but so long as it's not decaff it's all good. Heck I'll have Smart Price coffee if needs be!

Glad Starbucks is gone, can't stand the stuff. Now if it had been Costa coffee, I'd have been fuming!

transmanche

Established Member
Berwick was historically part of Scotland, as it is north of Hadrian's Wall.
But then so is most of Newcastle! (And I don't think Hadrian's Wall ever formed the boundary of Scotland.)

Although Edinburgh was part of Northumbria at one time...

Starmill

Veteran Member
They were announcing the Aero hot chocolate the other day (I didn't sample it) like it was a luxury brand! Is Aero hot chocolate that you get in a shop even nice!?

Status
Not open for further replies.