• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast closed between Newcastle and Berwick (26/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Recent East Coast problems with overhead power lines is being compounded by today's problem near Morpeth, between Newcastle and Berwick. There have been multiple cable thefts, disabling signalling. The culprits were probably unaware that they were stealing fibre optic cables.

East Coast cancellations include all the early morning departures from Edinburgh, though I'm informed that passengers are being carried on the West Coast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Yeah saw that on BBC london local news this morning. On the same day Im off to Morpeth too :)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
No mention of ticket acceptance via the WCML on NRE, although many Edinburgh-London/Birmingham tickets are interavailable anyway.
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx
Alternative travel options for Virgin Trains East Coast passengers:
Your ticket will be accepted on CrossCountry services between Doncaster and Edinburgh
Your ticket will be accepted on TransPennine Express services between Leeds and Newcastle

Last edited:

Chrism20

Established Member
East Coast cancellations include all the early morning departures from Edinburgh, though I'm informed that passengers are being carried on the West Coast.

That will be fun considering the first two WC departures are a double voyager followed by a single one.

gavin

Ticket acceptance via the WCML is not in place currently services are running through the area with delays

Mutual ticket acceptance is in place between Edinburgh & Newcastle for VTEC and XC passengers

The affected cables

CvrMYAAXgAA1Bfa.jpg

gavin

1E06 Glasgow to Kings X has made it through just 2L and has left Newcastle 1L

cuccir

Established Member
Though it's gone from the page now, I was interested to see on the disruption description that the 05:55 to Chathill was replaced "by a Blueline taxi that will be arriving on Neville Street outside Newcastle Station around 06:16". Possibly a fairly unusual form of rail replacement taxi!

gavin

The situation is aggravated by a trespass incident just north of Berwick.

Yep

"All lines north of Berwick are blocked due to an injured male, an ambulance has been requested"

VTEC passengers can now use Virgin Trains between London Euston and Glasgow Central / Edinburgh

XC passengers can now use Virgin Trains between Birmingham New Street and Edinburgh

EveningStar

Though it's gone from the page now, I was interested to see on the disruption description that the 05:55 to Chathill was replaced "by a Blueline taxi that will be arriving on Neville Street outside Newcastle Station around 06:16". Possibly a fairly unusual form of rail replacement taxi!

And I imagine there were spare seats as well :roll: :) :

I'm on board 1V60 at Waverley. Timetabled to depart at 1106, we've been told we'll be leaving "in a few minutes" :roll:

The previous Penzance train was cancelled.

Clip

Established Member
Decided to let it settle a bit so caught the midday train however will be interesting as the 1135 departed at 1157 so sat behind it at the momwnt

HowardGWR

Established Member
Looks like it was a double whammy and two trains were holed up near Berwick (the 'trespasser' incident) for two hours or more. They appear to be getting past Morpeth (cable theft earlier) OK now.

I just wondered if the two dramas were related.

Zoidberg

Established Member
Looks like it was a double whammy and two trains were holed up near Berwick (the 'trespasser' incident) for two hours or more. They appear to be getting past Morpeth (cable theft earlier) OK now.

I just wondered if the two dramas were related.

Yup, related. Some chump cut the cables near Morpeth and the other guy slipped while pulling the cut cables through near Berwick, injuring his ankle.

Maybe. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.