• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast delay repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

Traveling with East Coast, I was recently delayed by more than two hours (signal fault/broken rail - depending on who you ask).

I was at the time on the return part of a day journey, using the second of two advance purchase single tickets (purchaed at the same time, and in the same transaction). I argue that EC should be compensating for the full cost of my return journey (i.e. both ways, not just one way - see delay repay wording below). East Coast argues I only get the cost of the delayed leg back.

I'd welcome opinions:
1. Does your understanding of the wording below suggest only one-way compensation in my circumstances.
2. In your subjective opinion, is that what was intended when this was agreed with DfT and Passenger Focus?
3. East Coast say that I should only get compensation for one leg, while a passenger sat next to me on an anytime return would get compensation for both. If this is the case, is it not perverse that passengers on single tickets are uniquely prevented from receiving increased compensation for delays of more than two hours?

Yes, it's a moan. But grateful for opinions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Delay Repay compensation scheme applies to all ticket types (including Season Ticket holders) and is irrespective of what caused the delay. The scheme applies to all tickets, from daily tickets through to annual season ticket holders and the value of compensation will be calculated on an equitable basis for all.

•Customers delayed on East Coast services between 30 and 59 minutes will receive compensation of at least 50% of the cost of a single ticket or at least 50% of the cost of either portion of a return ticket (by 'portion' we mean either the outward or the return part of a return ticket).

•Customers delayed on East Coast services between 60 and 119 minutes will receive compensation of at least 100% of the cost of a single ticket or at least 100% of the cost of either portion of a return ticket (by 'portion' we mean either the outward or the return part of a return ticket).

•Customers delayed on East Coast services for 120 minutes or longer will receive compensation of at least 100% of the cost of a single ticket or at least 100% of the cost of a return ticket (i.e. both ways, not just one way).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No. A return ticket only allows return travel within a month. Two singles have no such restriction.

I think it's quite clear in ticketing that two singles do not make a return. If you had two Anytime Singles you'd be treated the same.

Failed Unit

Established Member
•Customers delayed on East Coast services for 120 minutes or longer will receive compensation of at least 100% of the cost of a single ticket or at least 100% of the cost of a return ticket (i.e. both ways, not just one way).

What happens in reality is that you get double the price of your single ticket.

So if you went outward in 1st Class @ £200 with no delay
Returned in standard @ £20 with a 3 hour delay

You get £40 (however if the £200 leg got the 3 hour delay you would get £400)

The wording is not clear but it is to avoid the situation were someone has different priced tickets for outward and return. Whereas a genuine return ticket it is just assumed that for £200, £100 got you there and £100 got you back.

googolplex

What happens in reality is that you get double the price of your single ticket.

So if you went outward in 1st Class @ £200 with no delay
Returned in standard @ £20 with a 3 hour delay

You get £40 (however if the £200 leg got the 3 hour delay you would get £400)

The wording is not clear but it is to avoid the situation were someone has different priced tickets for outward and return. Whereas a genuine return ticket it is just assumed that for £200, £100 got you there and £100 got you back.

I only got 1x the cost of my advance single for a delay of 6 hours just before Christmas. I had however not bought my ticket back until after I'd submitted my delay repay claim.

Carefree

For clarity: East coast is offering only 1 x my single ticket in compensation for a delay of over two hours. I did buy both my outward and return singles in the same transaction from the East Coast website (not that this should make any difference).

I wonder if anyone can provide a theory, either official or otherwise, as to why the holder of a single ticket should be afforded a compensation scheme that recognises delays of 60+ minutes; while holders of return tickets are entitled to greater levels of compensation for delays of 120mins+. Are 2hr+ delays more of an ordeal for those on the return portion of a return ticket than they are for those on the second of two single tickets booked together as part of the same consumer contract?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I would suggest asking east coast and the taking it up with passenger focus. It could be a mistake you never know.

John @ home

Established Member
I did buy both my outward and return singles in the same transaction from the East Coast website
Good.

Sign in to your account on the East Coast web site. Then choose "Your bookings", then "all", then "view" the appropriate journey, then "full details". This shows evidence of booking a return journey. Print this out, and send it to East Coast with your complaint that you have not been treated in accordance with their Passenger's Charter.

If this escalation fails to satisfy you, go to Passenger Focus.

Is it possiable that advance tickets are only classed as single tickets regardless if you bought 2 at the same time, and they only class off peak, super off peak and anytime rtns as return tickets?? Would seem harsh but maybe one explaination.

silentone

Advance tickets can only be purchased as singles. For your return trip you would have to buy a 2nd Advance single.

In response to the original post you do only qualify for the return portion, partly because you bought 2 Advance tickets and it's almost certain you paid less for them than a return ticket on the same journey.

It's the way of it I'm affraid.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It says "single ticket" and "return ticket", not "single journey" and "return journey".

You did a return journey on single tickets.

My interpretation is that EC are correct, technically. Whether or not that is correct morally might be a different matter, which I won't comment on!

John @ home

Established Member
My interpretation is that EC are correct, technically. Whether or not that is correct morally might be a different matter
My view is that EC have prejudiced their position by the prominent use of the words outward and return on both the payment screen and the booking history.

In addition, if in the same transaction a pair of Advance single tickets forming a return journey are purchased together with other tickets, the return journey is shown on EC's booking confirmation as Journey 1 (or 2, or 3 ...).

Carefree should make these points in his complaint to EC and/or Passenger Focus.

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is a little inconsistant.

My journey was on Monday 29th November between Edinburgh and Leeds using the 0800 service. It failed at Alnmouth so we were dragged into Newcastle arriving just after Midday (2 hours late on the revised timetable). As the train was terminated and we needed to join the following service we were nearly 2h30 late by York.

I had 2x Advance tickets booked from east coast at the same time, the both cost the same price (don't know if that is relavant or not) But I got the whole £75 approx refunded.

silentone

My view is that EC have prejudiced their position by the prominent use of the words outward and return on both the payment screen and the booking history.

In addition, if in the same transaction a pair of Advance single tickets forming a return journey are purchased together with other tickets, the return journey is shown on EC's booking confirmation as Journey 1 (or 2, or 3 ...).

Carefree should make these points in his complaint to EC and/or Passenger Focus.

Clutching at straws.

When you use the EC booking engine it clearly states when selecting your ticket for outward and return that the tickets are singles and having just typed some random journey details in I see the top 5 are singles and the bottom 5 are return tickets. On both outwards and return sections, if you select return you cannot then book another ticket on the return section.

Status
Not open for further replies.