• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Mainline Carlisle diverts Start September 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavin

The annual closure of the ECML north of Newcastle will commence on Saturday 16th September a limited VTEC service will divert along the tyne valley calling additionally at Carlisle

As a result, a number of services will depart Kings X earlier including the 12:00 to Inverness which will leave at 10am

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=16/09/2017&TOC=gr

Engineering work is taking place between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh on Saturday and between Newcastle and Edinburgh on Sunday, closing the line.

CrossCountry

On Saturday, trains will not run between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh. Buses will replace cancelled services between these stations.

On Sunday, trains will not run between Newcastle and Edinburgh. Buses will run between Newcastle and Alnmouth / Berwick-upon-Tweed / Dunbar / Edinburgh.

Virgin Trains East Coast

On Saturday and Sunday, services will be diverted between Newcastle and Edinburgh (via Carlisle), extending journey times by up to 90 minutes.

Buses will run between Newcastle and Edinburgh, calling at Morpeth, Alnmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed and Dunbar.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Is it known whether the services will make a passenger call at Carlisle?

Romilly

Established Member
Tickets for East Coast services are now on sale for 16/17 September.

Romilly

Established Member
So far as I can see, the diversion via Carlisle is just for one weekend this year.

Darandio

Established Member
So far as I can see, the diversion via Carlisle is just for one weekend this year.

Timetable changes section on the VTEC website is currently showing four weekends from 16th September onwards.

Sybic26

Cross Country and VTEC trains divert via Carlisle on September 16, 17,23,30 and October 7 2017.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I dont thin there would be space on the Tyne for XC much as many pax would like them to do it. They are also at certain times running NCL EDB direct buses also, I know this as I intend using one on the evening of the 16th and unless some crate of a coach turns up then the experience is likely to be in many ways superior to that of a 220/221.

Sybic26

Made a mistake, only VTEC via Carlisle. XC coach operations between Edinburgh and Berwick on Tweed.

Romilly

Established Member

Apologies for getting this wrong: I had spotted that there was no diversion on Sunday 24th September, and then leapt to the wrong conclusion!

gavin

The diverts are now underway a person was hit by a train earlier between Carlisle and Edinburgh which caused a few alterations early on but services are now starting to get back to normal

IrishDave

No diversions via the Edinburgh suburban line to avoid the need for reversal at Waverley, apparently. Pity!

The reversal at Edinburgh Waverley neatly cancels out the reversal at Newcastle and ensures that, south of Newcastle and north of Edinburgh, the sets (should) have first class at the right end. Diverting via the Sub would reverse the set and take quite a bit longer.

timj

The reversal at Edinburgh Waverley neatly cancels out the reversal at Newcastle and ensures that, south of Newcastle and north of Edinburgh, the sets (should) have first class at the right end. Diverting via the Sub would reverse the set and take quite a bit longer.

No need to reverse at Newcastle though, trains can go over the other bridge (High-Level Bridge) and come into Central Station from the East end.

najaB

Veteran Member
No need to reverse at Newcastle though, trains can go over the other bridge (High-Level Bridge) and come into Central Station from the East end.
So we've added a diversion around the Sub and a tour of Newcastle's bridges in order to avoid reversals at stations which are likely driver changes anyway.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
XC were only going as far as Newcastle yesterday so the works must have been taking place

Established Member
Any 225 set drags this year or is it all HST's?

Post 4 gives a link to this years workings which are similar to last years so there is only 2 workings each way, I saw 67007 yesterday on the afternoon working at Carlisle.

Last edited:
Post 4 gives a link to this years workings which are similar to last years so there is only 2 workings each way, I 67007 yesterday on the afternoon working at Carlisle.

Thanks for that 47802, don't know how I missed that. I'm half asleep here.. And thank you 37038 for sharing that link, very useful and interesting website.

timj

Does anyone know if Bardon Mill signalbox will be switched in with the Tyne Valley line being busier?

TUC

Established Member

Scarcely the end of the world though if first class is at the 'wrong' end.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Of course not but considering this is an easy way of keeping things the right way round (and don't forget lots of VTEC stations have boards telling people where to wait for certain carriages so it's not just first class that's effected) then it makes sense to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.