• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

I seen the piles while passing on the train the other day. Is it just this section from Crossmyloof to Kennishead at first?
Yes, the neighbour notification letter Network Rail sent on the 7th April stated that the work is from Kennishead to Crossmyloof.
2021-04-07 Neighbour notification.jpeg
It appears that they are driving the easiest piles first - those located where the cess is level and clear of obstructions. There are pegs at some locations where minor excavations into the sides of the cutting would be needed to create a level surface.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

och aye

Does anyone know when the electrification is slated to be completed by? The ScotRail Alliance webpage doesn't have any guidance on that (yet):

Does anyone know when the electrification is slated to be completed by? The ScotRail Alliance webpage doesn't have any guidance on that (yet):

Considering that the Project has not been funded or approved yet. That's hardly a surprise. The piling work being currently done is in advance of project approval. It is merely a way of keeping electrification staff employed for now till approval is given.

och aye

Considering that the Project has not been funded or approved yet. That's hardly a surprise. The piling work being currently done is in advance of project approval. It is merely a way of keeping electrification staff employed for now till approval is given.
Given that NR had started work on the piling, I was under the impression that the project had been approved. I guess that would more or less a formality now.

Given that NR had started work on the piling, I was under the impression that the project had been approved. I guess that would more or less a formality now.
Network Rail have only let a piling contract to keep staff busy.

It's a long way from there to fund the Project, appoint contractors and set up a project base for construction.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Just a general point - at many points in the past, politicians broadcast electrification projects from the rooftops. These-days they seem to be kept quiet. Trying to keep HM Treasury noses out I guess.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Just a general point - at may points in the past, politicians broadcast electrification projects from the rooftops. These-days they seem to be kept quiet. Trying to keep HM Treasury noses out I guess.

HM Treasury have no jurisdiction over this one.

But to answer the earlier question, I don’t believe this has had the formal go ahead.

Albaman

Travelling towards East Kilbride this afternoon, I noticed that masts have now been installed south of Busby Junction and heading towards Kennishead. Unfortunately, I am unable to say over what distance they have been installed but, perhaps, someone can provide more detailed information.

InOban

Established Member
Network Rail Scotland just tweeted this pic.

Attachments

• 20210614_204112.jpg
    20210614_204112.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 144

mcmad

The masts look to be a similar section to that installed in all the other Scottish electrification projects recently and much the same as the older single track masts on West and East coast.

GLC

Given that they’re able to crack on with this without getting formal approval sorted yet, I guess this bodes well for the rest of the rolling electrification planned for Scotland?

route101

Established Member
Given that they’re able to crack on with this without getting formal approval sorted yet, I guess this bodes well for the rest of the rolling electrification planned for Scotland?
I wonder if this section is a test bed?

Glasgow Council has granted Listed Building Consent subject to conditions for the works at the Pollokshaws West Railway Station:

"
This consent is Granted subject to the following condition(s) and reason(s):

01. All external materials including surface tratments shall match existing as far as is practicable.
Reason: To safeguard the character of the listed building and surrounding conservation area.

02. All new fittings on the platform, not inlcluding the overhead apparatus and associate
steelwork, shall match existing as far as is practicable.
Reason: To safeguard the character of the listed building and surrounding conservation area".

APPLICATION 21/01142/LBA

==========================================================

Glasgow Council has granted Listed Building Consent for the Installation of 4 support brackets to the Railway Viaduct Over the River Cart On Pollokshaws Road.

APPLICATION 21/00698/LBA

Full details may be viewed using the Glasgow Council online planning portal:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So, to be clear, Network Rail are sticking up masts and piling before Transport Scotland have actually said "yes, please go and electrify this, this is our decision" :lol:

So, to be clear, Network Rail are sticking up masts and piling before Transport Scotland have actually said "yes, please go and electrify this, this is our decision" :lol:
Seems to be. Network Rail let a contract for piling in February for foundations. The masts are probably stock ones left over from the last electrification scheme.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

It’s more subtle than that. See what has happened at Church Fenton...

route101

Established Member
Seems to be. Network Rail let a contract for piling in February for foundations. The masts are probably stock ones left over from the last electrification scheme.

Yes, surprised to see the masts so soon. I reckon it will be a while for any foundations to appear on the East Kilbride branch.

snookertam

It's a strange one on the face of it, as whilst they don't appear to have the formal go ahead for the project, I can't imagine Transport Scotland would tolerate any disruption to the service if they weren't approving of the reason why the works were taking place.

Equally, given that Scottish Govt have a wider decarbonisation strategy - much like the wider UK - it's probably not too far fetched to suggest that electrification would eventually be on the cards anyway. If they're taking a punt, it's not a very uncertain one. I still think there must be some informal go ahead granted by Transport Scotland in this case though.

InOban

Established Member
I think that they have the staff and equipment and it doesn't cost much to keep them occupied. If there's an emergency elsewhere they can redeploy them at short notice. They're doing the easy and cheap bits. The big money will be the redoubling of EK and relocation of Hairmyres.