• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

McRhu

For what it's worth, a bit further up the line towards Central I noticed a Tensorex on a standard MK IIIa anchor mast. I assume it's a refugee from the EK scheme. I've only ever seen these on ultra-heavy Series 2 or Series 1 masts before.

For what it's worth, a bit further up the line towards Central I noticed a Tensorex on a standard MK IIIa anchor mast. I assume it's a refugee from the EK scheme. I've only ever seen these on ultra-heavy Series 2 or Series 1 masts before.
Was it near the new / upgraded feeder station at Eglinton Street? There are new two track cantilevers there. When I went past on the train on Wednesday work was underway on site.

Here is a summary of Glasgow planning applications over the past few months relating to this project:

22/02303/PDE | Removal of footbridge and installation of replacement footbridge. | Former Strathbungo Station Footbridge At Moray Place/ Darnley Road, Glasgow
Application Received Mon 05 Sep 2022
It is a Request for Prior Approval and Notification of Temporary Works.
Status Pending - Consideration
"It is intended to have the footbridge removed by beginning of January 2023 and works onn the new bridge to take place between January and May 2023".

22/01949/PAP | Alterations to parapets | Priesthill And Darnley Station Overbridge Glenmuir Drive Glasgow
Application Received Fri 29 Jul 2022
It is a Request for Prior Approval
Status Decided - Grant
There are no documents associated with this application.

22/01945/PAP | Alterations to parapets. | Kennishead Station Overbridge Kennishead Road Glasgow
Application Received Thu 28 Jul 2022
It is a Request for Prior Approval
Status Decided - Grant
"The height of the bridge parapets are to be increased by 300mm by attaching a steel plate extension along both sides of the parapet. Attachment will be by bolting a 10mm thick stiffener flange onto the existing steel parapets and attaching a flat metal plate which will be smooth with the internal facings. It will not be necessary to extend the parapet height on the first flight of stairs on approach. Overhead line equipment (OLE) arms are also
proposed to the underside of the bridge".

22/01412/PDE Removal of storage building and feeder station extension, installation of new feeder station and associated apparatus including security fencing and change of use to railway operational land.
Site 594 - 598 Eglinton Street Glasgow
Application Received Mon 30 May 2022
Status Decided - Grant Subject to Condition(s)

22/01055/FUL | Formation of temporary access onto railway operational land and erection of gate and fence | Site Opposite Fotheringay Road On Darnley Road Glasgow
Application Received Thu 28 Apr 2022
The supporting letter confirms that this site is expected to be used from June 2022 until the end of December 2023. The gates will then be removed and the boundary wall reinstated using natural stone and copings as existing.
No neighbours were notified.

In my opinion it is poor management of the relationship with the neighbours when the first they know of your development is when they wake up to the sound of chainsaws.

mcmad

<snip>

22/01055/FUL | Formation of temporary access onto railway operational land and erection of gate and fence | Site Opposite Fotheringay Road On Darnley Road Glasgow
Application Received Thu 28 Apr 2022
The supporting letter confirms that this site is expected to be used from June 2022 until the end of December 2023. The gates will then be removed and the boundary wall reinstated using natural stone and copings as existing.
No neighbours were notified.

In my opinion it is poor management of the relationship with the neighbours when the first they know of your development is when they wake up to the sound of chainsaws.
The planning process isn't how neighbour engagement is managed though. A letter drop would have been carried out by NR before works started on site the same as for any planned works.

The planning process isn't how neighbour engagement is managed though. A letter drop would have been carried out by NR before works started on site the same as for any planned works.
Both. There should be neighbour notification of a planning application, allowing time for objections, and then a letter drop before work starts on site.

In the case of the Darnley Road Temporary Access there was no neighbour notification of the planning application. The neighbour notification list in the application has a map showing a zone to justify no notifications, see below:
Darnley Road Neighbours Zone.JPG

I don't know if the letter drop clearly stated that the work that weekend would include felling of mature trees for the temporary compound - there was a lot of work on site that weekend with the bridge demolition.

When I was there on those days, several neighbours told me that they were not aware of the tree felling. Perhaps they did not read the letter closely enough.

Maude673

Both. There should be neighbour notification of a planning application, allowing time for objections, and then a letter drop before work starts on site.

In the case of the Darnley Road Temporary Access there was no neighbour notification of the planning application. The neighbour notification list in the application has a map showing a zone to justify no notifications, see below:
View attachment 121153

I don't know if the letter drop clearly stated that the work that weekend would include felling of mature trees for the temporary compound - there was a lot of work on site that weekend with the bridge demolition.

When I was there on those days, several neighbours told me that they were not aware of the tree felling. Perhaps they did not read the letter closely enough.
The justification is correct, as under Scottish planning legislation only neighbours within a 20m radius of a proposal’s red line boundary are notified. In this case no neighbours fall within this notional 20m bubble.

The justification is correct, as under Scottish planning legislation only neighbours within a 20m radius of a proposal’s red line boundary are notified. In this case no neighbours fall within this notional 20m bubble.
The zone on the neighbour notification map was drawn around the point where they broke through the dyke to build the new entrance. However, the compound is linear and so I think the planner should have drawn a zone around the line of the compound.

Meanwhile, overnight, the contractors lifted some of the new spans onto Nithsdale Road bridge:

Nithsdale Road bridge new spans 1.jpgNithsdale Road bridge new spans 2.jpgNithsdale Road bridge new spans 3.jpgNithsdale Road bridge new spans 4.jpg

Southsider

The zone on the neighbour notification map was drawn around the point where they broke through the dyke to build the new entrance. However, the compound is linear and so I think the planner should have drawn a zone around the line of the compound.

Meanwhile, overnight, the contractors lifted some of the new spans onto Nithsdale Road bridge:

View attachment 121215View attachment 121216View attachment 121217View attachment 121218
Great shots, thanks. The Cathcart Circle OHL masts look puny compared to the new cantilevers.

McRhu

Tubular masts which seemed to fall out of favour after MK1, but still going strong as you say.

Southsider

There are new twin track cantilevers in place adjacent to the motorway bridge between Kennishead and Darnley and what appears to be portals spanning Darnley station (Although difficult to be sure from a distance).

OB23Gone

There are new twin track cantilevers in place adjacent to the motorway bridge between Kennishead and Darnley and what appears to be portals spanning Darnley station (Although difficult to be sure from a distance).
Piling work on the Larkfield Curve started on 8th Oct.
Story machines working from Darrnley Rd. RAP (Rapid Access Point) Compound. Draw back is Giant Hogweed is slowing progress

Story machines working from Darrnley Rd. RAP (Rapid Access Point) Compound. Draw back is Giant Hogweed is slowing progress
@OB23Gone welcome to the forum.

I noticed that the worksite protection set up included the Larkfield Curve within the worksite - thanks for the confirmation. I am surprised about the giant hogweed - normally they grow along water courses and I wasn't aware of a water course along the route of the Larkfield Curve. There were rumours up thread that electrification of the Larkfield Curve was taken our of scope. It seems to be in scope still.

Here are two photos taken last weekend of the new Nithsdale Road bridge:

Nithsdale Road Bridge 8 Oct 2022.jpgNithsdale Road Bridge 8 Oct 2022 No 2.jpg

MadMac

@OB23Gone welcome to the forum.

There were rumours up thread that electrification of the Larkfield Curve was taken out of scope. It seems to be in scope still.
That came from me some months ago via a normally-reliable source. If they're piling, it appears that there may have been a (sensible) change of heart, at least so far as Larkfield is concerned. One other point of note is that I'm hearing rumblings that the signal box closure at Barrhead (scheduled to take place in a couple of weeks) may not go ahead as planned: no reason known as yet, if true.
(Edit) Barrhead still on. Info I received was a bit of a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

OB23Gone

My apologies re-gaint hogweed.
Checked today with an NR Supervisor and it turns out to be Japanese Hogweed which is not dangerous to humans But To Property and Infrastructure.

davetheguard

Established Member

I'm not green-fingered, but Japanese Knotweed is a nasty invasive thug by all accounts. No doubt any of the railway's neighbours with gardens will be very pleased for it be eradicated from Network Rail's property.

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Southsider

I'm not green-fingered, but Japanese Knotweed is a nasty invasive thug by all accounts. No doubt any of the railway's neighbours with gardens will be very pleased for it be eradicated from Network Rail's property.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
I believe it takes years to see it off.

najaB

Veteran Member
I believe it takes years to see it off.
The problem is that that it can regrow from surprisingly small pieces - a stem as little as a couple of centimetres long is enough to regenerate a whole new plant. Often times the only way to deal with it is to remove every trace that you can see and then take the soil away and pass it through an incinerator to kill anything still alive in it.