• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East London Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Hopefully attached is the train I saw in the depot with the sticker on the front saying it was the first passenger train - I think it is 378 153 but I could stand corrected...maybe they had more with this sticker?! It may not be too useful as I think the file size has been reduced so it may be impossible to tell from the thumbnail

Do think externally they look awesome though :D

Attachments

• ELL.jpg
    ELL.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 58
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vitesse

On an aside from the above too, we were waiting at Whitechapel for quite some time for a train towards New Cross/Gate to arrive while about 4 came through in the opposite direction during the time - not sure what caused it but evidently some delays somewhere.

If that was later afternoon on opening day, there was an incident at Dalston which blocked trains from leaving for a while.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hopefully attached is the train I saw in the depot with the sticker on the front saying it was the first passenger train - I think it is 378 153 but I could stand corrected...maybe they had more with this sticker?!

There are pictures about showing two trains had notices on the front. One read 'first passenger train' and one 'first train' - the latter is probably the one the TfL people were on for the opening?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I wonder which will happen first. The guy at Shoreditch told me they had problems with the cameras on the trains. If these are identical to those on a 377, what could possibly go wrong?

They are the same idea as 377s, although a different manufacturer, and the TMS software package is different. Posts elsewhere have suggested that it was the automatic turning on and off of the bodyside camera cab displays during station calls that was unreliable.

This would probably translate as 'camera problems' as far as ordinary staff are concerened.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But, he did also say the link up to Highbury & Islington would open in a few months! When I pushed him a bit on that, he said 'in time for the Olympics'. I really cannot fathom exactly what he meant by that!

It should open spring 2011. So less than a year, but more than a few months...

Deerfold

Veteran Member
If that was later afternoon on opening day, there was an incident at Dalston which blocked trains from leaving for a while.

There seemed to be something minor yesterday. I popped out for a trip in my lunch hour. Went from Canada Water to Shoreditch and back. The trip up was fine except we stopped just outside Whitechapel for a couple of minutes and then about 4 minutes at Whitechapel. The trip back was uneventful.

I don't think they're seeing many passengers yet. The chap manning the gate at Shoreditch said "Good afternoon" as I approached and then wished me a good day as I passed through. I sure they can't keep that up for everyone. Although possibly he'd spotted me going through the other way just a few minutes earlier and realised I was just trying it out ;)

A colleague at work is already using it for his daily commute, cutting his journey time in half.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Lots of people seemed to be there only to try it out.

I saw people taking photos on and off the train. Amazingly, BTP didn't bat an eyelid. Maybe they realised that there were a lot of enthusiasts there, and even non-trainspotter types would still have many reasons to take photos (an exciting new station, a cool new train) and share on Facebook or Twitter etc.

I've seen people Tweet about the brand new Victoria Line train(s) and they're simply excited because it's bright, new and shiny. They care not what class it is, or the number.

I wonder if the mood will change in the coming months.

vitesse

I'd expect it will be incredibly busy between West Croydon and Canada Water after the 23rd May. Since it gives an option for a lot more people to dodge zone 1.

At present I dont think a lot of people realise its opened yet for the preview service.

Last edited:

Electrostar

I think I spotted some London Overground route maps when I passed through Crystal Palace yesterday in preparation for the full service starting on May 23.

Status
Not open for further replies.