East Midlands 158 on Bittern Line.

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by NorfolkStu, 28 Jun 2018.

1. NorfolkStu

NorfolkStu New Member

Live next to the Greater Anglia Norwich to Sheringham line and not long seen an East Midlands 158 heading to Sheringham. How unusual is this?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Unusual.

However there is an early morning booked turn from Norwich to Lowestoft.

4. DanTrain

DanTrain Member

Not heard of that before! Perhaps EMT might kindly consider putting them back where they belong so as to not leave passengers behind in future!?

5. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Indeed.
    There are a lot of 153 vice 158 shortforms on the Nottingham - Liverpool circuit

6. Tomnick

Tomnick Established Member

They are where they belong. The unit that GA regularly borrow otherwise has nothing to do before forming the 0757 (?) Liverpool, for which it had to be stabled in Norwich overnight anyway.

Presumably this Sheringham round trip has been arranged on a similar basis, using the unit off the first arrival in Norwich that’d otherwise stable.

7. DanTrain

DanTrain Member

I thought that might be the case to be honest, just irritating that they can’t seem to provide sufficient 158s to run a service and then lend them off to Anglia, even if the two are independent, and in this case sensible.

8. PHILIPE

PHILIPE Established Member

9. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Makes no difference. Would be the 19:13 arrival into Norwich which cannot do anything else for EMT. GA will hire & ensure it is has its exam/fuel ready for the following start of diagram next day. This spot hire at this time has gone on for years.

10. 306024

306024 Established Member

A few years ago the first 158 to finish at Norwich had a diagrammed trip to Great Yarmouth and back before retiring to shed, so nothing new in using it, just unusual to go to Sheringham.

11. Surreytraveller

Surreytraveller Established Member

Perhaps you would rather they cancel the train rather than borrow a unit that would otherwise be sat around doing nothing ?

12. DanTrain

DanTrain Member

Who are you talking to? If it’s me, then may I kindly direct you to my above reply.

13. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

They've always done it, it just doesn't get publicised unless someone happens to notice it. EMT units have worked all of the 'rural' services out of Norwich recently (Cambridge, Lowestoft, Yarmouth, Sheringham) and they borrow them in the evening when they'd be sat around otherwise.

14. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Useless piece of historical information but the very first use of a class 158 in East Anglian passenger use was the 13:55 Sheringham back in the early 90s when crew training was ongoing but no other serviceable unit was available.

15. 170TurboFan

170TurboFan Member

I think I was on that 158 service to Sheringham, was it the 21:15 service to Sheringham that night as they were borrowing it due to a fair few 170s being in depot that day, therefore needing other units to cover for them.