• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands HST on hire to East Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe the workings are:

Monday to Friday:
0840 Leeds - Kings X,
1230 Kings X - Newcastle,
1655 Newcastle - Kings X
2130 Kings X - Leeds.

Sunday service:
0940 Leeds - Kings X,
1255 Kings X - Leeds,
1640 Leeds - Kings X
2115 Kings X - Leeds

No Saturday workings (as yet).

Would be interesting if they have it for the diversions via the Joint line in October! Would make a good photo at Spalding with and EMT HST!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Must be extremely rare for the EMT HSTs to reach 125, would those in the know expect there to be any adverse reaction in the power cars?

Jordy

Established Member
059 was extremely warm earlier, but it wasn't exactly cool outside to be fair! They seemed to perform fine

alexdodds

If you think about it had if Stagecoach took over from GNER instead of National Express in 2007. it would of been called North East Trains.

scotsman

Established Member
When the XC/EC mish-mash set was created it was diagrammed on NCL-KGX diagrams M-F (?) and lay spare at the weekends. Which led to it being put on a Leeds - Aberdeen job.

Hope the same happens here.

TheBigD

Established Member
Would be interesting if they have it for the diversions via the Joint line in October! Would make a good photo at Spalding with and EMT HST!!

I believe that the plan is for an hourly KGX-YRK & vv HST service and an hourly KGX-LDS & vv which will be class 67 hauled PBO-NNG.

When NX diverted last time they needed 12 HST sets but only 11 were in avaiable and the Perth-London and return to Newcastle was cancelled.

Aictos

Established Member
I believe the workings are:

Monday to Friday:
0840 Leeds - Kings X,
1230 Kings X - Newcastle,
1655 Newcastle - Kings X
2130 Kings X - Leeds.

Sunday service:
0940 Leeds - Kings X,
1255 Kings X - Leeds,
1640 Leeds - Kings X
2115 Kings X - Leeds

No Saturday workings (as yet).

Yes I agree with the Spalding comment, onto the diagrams they are very much appreciated, thank you.

I should be joining the 1655 Newcastle to London service tonight and tomorrow night at Peterborough so should be able to confirm if the EMT HST is on that working or not, past couple times I've used it it's been a 91 vice HST.

Although I won't be using the set on Sunday, because of the diversions via Hertford, I should be able to see it coming though then.

Last edited:

GNERman

Established Member
saw it yesterday working to newcastle at york, pc's sounding good, full emt rake except mml second and pc...

Edward111

yes i was
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
yes and at the end of platform 3.

adc82140

Established Member
Just a thought....

If EMT can spare a whole set to loan to EC, with their own refurb also ongoing, they appear to have a surplus of stock on the ex-MML routes. Could they not, therefore, release a 222 to run a Liverpool-Norwich diagram and relieve overcrowding?

Or am I being a bit oversimplistic?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Just a thought....

If EMT can spare a whole set to loan to EC, with their own refurb also ongoing, they appear to have a surplus of stock on the ex-MML routes. Could they not, therefore, release a 222 to run a Liverpool-Norwich diagram and relieve overcrowding?

There have been numerous discussions about the speed limits imposed on a 222 between Ely and Norwich.

So - any service in either direction would have to be terminated at ELY and a 158 operate the connecting service, so overall it wouldn't help on the Norwich to Ely leg!

Aictos

Established Member
Well I'm currently on the loaned East Midland Trains HST and I have to say I love the job that they have done, if anything it's only made up my mine to as much mileage as possible on them seeing as the seats are just as comfortable as the HSTs from Grand Central, :)

The decor is quite pleasant and pleasing not forgetting proper tables for the airline seats and that SNCF type chime before onboard announcements are made.

As the old McDs slogan went, I'm loving it which is better then the two 222s I got yesterday for a run between St Pancras and Bedford to see what they're like and apart from being comfortable to use, you can hardly get a mobile signal which stays on them, urg!

trainfanatic

Can someone please expand on the reasons for the ECML diversions via Spalding during October?

Is this event similar to the closure of the Peasecliffe tunnel north of Grantham in September 2008 when all ECML trains (except Leeds services) were diverted at P'boro and thence Sleaford/Lincoln/Doncaster. I shall never forget the sight of the KX Aberdeen service trundling thro sleepy Sleaford on the Saturday afternoon!

Any more news on this would be grateful - Thanks

silentone

This set will not be working with EC at the weekends. It is only on hire Mon - Fri and returns to EMT at the weekends.

MCR247

Established Member
I'm loving it which is better then the two 222s I got yesterday for a run between St Pancras and Bedford to see what they're like and apart from being comfortable to use, you can hardly get a mobile signal which stays on them, urg!
That happens on any EMT train. That section contains a lot of dead spots and tunnels

TheBigD

Established Member
Can someone please expand on the reasons for the ECML diversions via Spalding during October?

Is this event similar to the closure of the Peasecliffe tunnel north of Grantham in September 2008 when all ECML trains (except Leeds services) were diverted at P'boro and thence Sleaford/Lincoln/Doncaster. I shall never forget the sight of the KX Aberdeen service trundling thro sleepy Sleaford on the Saturday afternoon!

Any more news on this would be grateful - Thanks

Taken from the Rules Of The Route stuff on the Network Rail site.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse documents/Rules Of The Route/Outrotr10/70LNE10.pdf

From 1330 09/10/10 to 1230 10/10/10 (23hours) TRAINS TO TRAVEL VIA SLEAFORD OVER GN/GE JOINT LINE TRAINS DIVERTED VIA LINCOLN.

met331

Just a thought....

Unfortunetly its an operational issue only Nottingham drivers sign Liverpool and only Derby drivers sign 222 to be fair a 5 car 222 actually seats less than a 4 car 158. Incidently the first 153 has begun refurbishment and is progressing nicely. saw it at Neville Hill yesterday

Bungle

Well I'm currently on the loaned East Midland Trains HST and I have to say I love the job that they have done

I would disagree - I think it's the most half-arsed refurbishment I've ever seen. The FGW and XC refurbs are bright, airy and make you feel like you're sitting on a modern train. The latest EMT refurb still feels very much like you're back in the 1970s, just with blue and red instead of green and... er, green.

The seats are comfortable, but in both first and standard it gives the distinct impression of being done on the cheap (compared to other TOCs' efforts). I bet it starts to look scruffy before long.

MCR247

Established Member
They only wanted to refresh them if they are going to be replaced soon

Established Member
I do like the refurb, nice red seats and nice colour job in general, looks great on the powercars and it has growen on me well, prefered them in MML Teal though, they did look top in that livery

I cant remember if it was on here or the photo thread but my comment "nice to see a decent engined HST at the cross" yes I do like VP185s ;)

regards weekend working, it was out today (Sun 25th Jul) working the 0940 Lds-KX with 074/059 providing the action.

Jordy

Established Member
Lovely interiors IMO, and some of the passengers on the 1655 ex Newcastle seemed to agree when I did it the other day!

96tommy

Has the EMT HST stopped been on hire to East Coast, my friend was telling me It didn't turn up on the 16:55 Newcastle - Londons Kings Cross service???

Benno

Has the EMT HST stopped been on hire to East Coast, my friend was telling me It didn't turn up on the 16:55 Newcastle - Londons Kings Cross service???

It's still on hire and still working the same diagram: 1A16, 1N07, 1A42 &1 D51

Aictos

Established Member
It's still on hire and still working the same diagram: 1A16, 1N07, 1A42 &1 D51

Indeed which is why I used it last night and also tonight, much preferred to using East Coast's own sets.

Do we have anyone here who works them by the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.