• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Railway livery and station branding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveyBee131

I don't think it's been mentioned on here (my apologies if it has and I've forgotten), but stations on the Barton-on-Humber line are currently being refreshed and rebranded. They're very much in the East Midlands Railway colours and style, which is somewhat intriguing with the GBR/RA2 scheme on the horizon.

The period style running in boards at Thornton Abbey are currently removed, however the posts are still present, which may suggest they're just away for repaint/restoration. Some stations currently still retain an old Northern Rail style sign or two, and the contrast is profound! Incidentally, the EMR signs are completely new, not like-for-like replacement.

I did take some photos, but I don't possess the skills to make them small enough to put on here, sorry!

Established Member
I don't think it's been mentioned on here (my apologies if it has and I've forgotten), but stations on the Barton-on-Humber line are currently being refreshed and rebranded. They're very much in the East Midlands Railway colours and style, which is somewhat intriguing with the GBR/RA2 scheme on the horizon.

The period style running in boards at Thornton Abbey are currently removed, however the posts are still present, which may suggest they're just away for repaint/restoration. Some stations currently still retain an old Northern Rail style sign or two, and the contrast is profound! Incidentally, the EMR signs are completely new, not like-for-like replacement.

I did take some photos, but I don't possess the skills to make them small enough to put on here, sorry!
If you have Paint then sometimes opening the photo in there and saving as will make the photo size smaller.

SteveyBee131

If you have Paint then sometimes opening the photo in there and saving as will make the photo size smaller.
Thanks for the tip, however at present I'm just using my Android tablet for Railforums, having transferred the photos from my phone via Bluetooth. I guess we'd better not take this too far off topic though ;)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Slightly off topic but links to brand image etc. I believe EMR are now rolling out a new aubergine coloured uniform which replaces the Stagecoach blue of old.

alan

Is there a reason the EMR stock seems to be less well cosmetically maintained than under EMT? My main observations have been on 158s and meridians both seem to have some threadbare seating and peeling EMR branding. It’s a shame as the previous refurbishments gave both stock a decent refresh

KB59

Is there a reason the EMR stock seems to be less well cosmetically maintained than under EMT? My main observations have been on 158s and meridians both seem to have some threadbare seating and peeling EMR branding. It’s a shame as the previous refurbishments gave both stock a decent refresh
I have noticed how scruffy and shabby they appear. A Meridian has a replacement door in RED which has been in place for at least a couple of months. No pride seemingly.

QSK19

Probably because the Meridians and 158s* were not going to form the final EMR fleet; so the theory being what’s the point of spending money on trains you’re not going to have for that much longer. The difference back in the EMT days was that the Meridians and 158s formed part of their permanent fleet - hence, a good refresh/refurbishment was needed.

* We now know that the 158s are staying, whereas that wasn’t the case when EMR began operations. So, hopefully, the 158s will get a good refresh.

I have noticed how scruffy and shabby they appear. A Meridian has a replacement door in RED which has been in place for at least a couple of months. No pride seemingly.
See my point above. Again, it’s probably because the Meridians won’t be staying too much longer. I do think, though, that it wouldn’t be too big an exercise to apply some replacement EMR-outgoing vinyl onto the door in question!

Last edited:
Probably because the Meridians and 158s* were not going to form the final EMR fleet; so the theory being what’s the point of spending money on trains you’re not going to have for that much longer. The difference back in the EMT days was that the Meridians and 158s formed part of their permanent fleet - hence, a good refresh/refurbishment was needed.

* We now know that the 158s are staying, whereas that wasn’t the case when EMR began operations. So, hopefully, the 158s will get a good refresh.

See my point above. Again, it’s probably because the Meridians won’t be staying too much longer. I do think, though, that it wouldn’t be too big an exercise to apply some replacement EMR-outgoing vinyl onto the door in question!

I do agree that it would not make much sense to carry out a full refurbishment however, a extensive cleaning regime would be good - passengers still have to use them for a little while at least.

EMR don't seem to care how their trains are presented - only their Miles statues!

When did they start? Most the stations near me all have Ex EMT signage. If they only started recently, seems to be poor timing?

SteveyBee131

When did they start? Most the stations near me all have Ex EMT signage. If they only started recently, seems to be poor timing?
I'm not sure exactly when, but somewhere in the past couple of weeks. Significant progress has been made, but one or two aren't quite done yet. As you say, it does seem somewhat poorly timed if they'll need replacing again soon with GBR/RA2 signage.

Trainfan2019

From when I was travelling on the Meridians upto a couple of years ago, the threadbare and tired interiors were there under EMT as well as EMR. I don't seem to remember any tired or threadbare 158s though.

I'm puzzled about the new signage as Kidsgrove gained a lot of brand new signage when the improvement works were completed earlier this year but none of it in rail alphabet 2.

Last edited:

KB59

I agree with you about saving cost, but surely, as they have spent so much on outgoing titivating, they could spare some vinyl for 1 door without breaking the bank. Cheers

QSK19

I agree with you about saving cost, but surely, as they have spent so much on outgoing titivating, they could spare some vinyl for 1 door without breaking the bank. Cheers
Yep, very much agree with you on the door point as per the last sentence of my post :D

KB59

As a matter of interest saw yesterday one of the 7Car meridians with an old Stagecoach Blue, Red and Orange door. 222015 still has the RED door.

Last edited:

spotify95

As a matter of interest saw yesterday one of the 7Car meridians with an old Stagecoach Blue, Red and Orange door. 222015 still has the RED door.
15 isn't a 7 car, it's a 5 car - though apparently EMR are changing two 7 car units to 5 car, in order to release four single coaches, which would then be used to convert the 22210x's to 5 car (which is desperately needed IMO). Hopefully EMR can sort out the mismatching liveries at the same time.

Though having said that, it's not like the 22x's are in the best of internal cosmetic condition anyway! By the time the 360s get refurbished, the 222s will also need refurbishing (if the 810s haven't come along by then), and if the 810s do replace the 222s, then goodness knows who will actually want to take them on in the condition they are in!

KB59

15 isn't a 7 car, it's a 5 car - though apparently EMR are changing two 7 car units to 5 car, in order to release four single coaches, which would then be used to convert the 22210x's to 5 car (which is desperately needed IMO). Hopefully EMR can sort out the mismatching liveries at the same time.

Though having said that, it's not like the 22x's are in the best of internal cosmetic condition anyway! By the time the 360s get refurbished, the 222s will also need refurbishing (if the 810s haven't come along by then), and if the 810s do replace the 222s, then goodness knows who will actually want to take them on in the condition they are in!
Where did I say 222015 was a 7 Car? However it still has a RED door. The 7 Car, 222002, has a red, orange and blue Striped door. Cheers

Last edited:

KB59

I noticed today that 222103 was now 5 Car. Do we know which 7 Car Meridian has been divided to help make this happen? Cheers

Also Market Harborough Station Staff were in new EMR design uniforms..

fgwrich

Established Member
So 222101 and 222103 are now 5 car? Do we know which carriage numbers have been added to these from 222005 please?
We do, and it's all in this thread:

KB59

We do, and it's all in this thread:
222104 in full new livery now 5 car with an outgoing livery car in the middle.

dorsetdesiro

Has it been confirmed the 158s are staying with EMR for definite presumably for the Liverpool-Norwich route? Were the plans for this to be split, with the Liverpool bit to be run by TPE, abandoned?

Weren't there rumours EMR eventually could get 185s, this probably won't happen until TPE get more new replacement stock so these 158s possibly could be a stop-gap measure for now?

If the 158s do get relivered into EMR livery - will this be "Intercity" - but this wouldn't be fast with more stopping - or "Regional" - but travels further outside the East Mids region. A new sub brand for Liverpool-Norwich maybe?

Murray J

If the 158s do get relivered into EMR livery - will this be "Intercity" - but this wouldn't be fast with more stopping - or "Regional" - but travels further outside the East Mids region. A new sub brand for Liverpool-Norwich maybe?
it'll probably be regional, I doubt they'd use the Intercity brand for services outside of London intercity services. The route probably isn't important enough to warrant a new brand and at the end of the day I doubt the tagline used makes much difference.

QSK19

Has it been confirmed the 158s are staying with EMR for definite presumably for the Liverpool-Norwich route? Were the plans for this to be split, with the Liverpool bit to be run by TPE, abandoned?

Weren't there rumours EMR eventually could get 185s, this probably won't happen until TPE get more new replacement stock so these 158s possibly could be a stop-gap measure for now?

I’ll let fellow users who are more in the know answer other bits to the below, but I think:

- I highly doubt Liverpool-Norwich will be classed as an Intercity service. It’s more of a regional express service; so I assume the 158s will keep their Regional branding, all the more so since I assume they could continue to run on other Regional routes if needed too.
- More chance of winning the lottery than 185s moving over. As you say, TPE need them until they place (yet) a(nother) new stock order.
- 158s would probably be staying long term. My (unsubstantiated) guess is that 19x would replace the 158s once the current/to-be operators move over to some sort of hybrid/bi-mode/battery/hydrogen replacement in 10-15 years’ time.

dorsetdesiro

Thanks for the replies so far.

If the 158s are a stop-gap solution, I assume the whole fleet could get done instead with the outgoing EMR livery if all haven't already also interiors probably to remain unchanged in Stagecoach colours to save on costs which more focus will be on the 810s, 170s and 360s as permanent fleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.