• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Trains first class Sat eve

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRM

Relatives are booked on the 1929 Sheffield - St Pancras service on a first advance on Saturday 30 September. What will be available in terms of food?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Not even crisps usually. Generally biscuits, tea and coffee and if you're lucky water. If a host is a available which on a Saturday is far from guaranteed.

38Cto15E

BRM, It sounds like they should nip into the M&S foodshop before boarding the train, I did that once from Sheffield and I really enjoyed my journey.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I'd be very surprised if there was anything at all. The EMT offering at the best of times is poor, and on a Sat evening likely to be none existent. At best tea/coffee, water & biscuits.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I'd be very surprised if there was anything at all. The EMT offering at the best of times is poor, and on a Sat evening likely to be none existent. At best tea/coffee, water & biscuits.

The EMT offerings at the best of times is one of the best in the country, but you probably never travelled at those times for such comments to come out.

Weekend provision is poor, except on breakfast trains. They are cheap for a reason (again, except breakfast trains).

Ianigsy

Had a very pleasant trip on the 1815 St Pancras-Leeds last night- as has been said, just tea, coffee, water and Walkers biscuits collected from the buffet but on the positive side the crew were very pleasant and the buffet counter was open on departure. After checking my ticket (through to Leeds), the TM pointed out that the buffet would probably shut somewhere around Chesterfield, so when I went to pick up a second cup of coffee on departure from Nottingham, the steward put a handful biscuits in my bag rather than the usual pair!

I get the impression that from a crew point of view, north of Nottingham it's probably seen as a fairly easy journey on a Saturday- not late enough to have too many revellers and overtaken by XC between Sheffield and Leeds so not that much passing trade. I could have had a faster journey in Standard on East Coast but I had a good book and it was nice to be able to step out and get some fresh air on the platform at Nottingham knowing that there was a good ten minutes until we were due to leave.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The EMT offerings at the best of times is one of the best in the country, but you probably never travelled at those times for such comments to come out.

True - they do good, reasonably priced meals on weekdays.

gazthomas

Established Member
Had a very pleasant trip on the 1815 St Pancras-Leeds last night- as has been said, just tea, coffee, water and Walkers biscuits collected from the buffet but on the positive side the crew were very pleasant and the buffet counter was open on departure. After checking my ticket (through to Leeds), the TM pointed out that the buffet would probably shut somewhere around Chesterfield, so when I went to pick up a second cup of coffee on departure from Nottingham, the steward put a handful biscuits in my bag rather than the usual pair!

I get the impression that from a crew point of view, north of Nottingham it's probably seen as a fairly easy journey on a Saturday- not late enough to have too many revellers and overtaken by XC between Sheffield and Leeds so not that much passing trade. I could have had a faster journey in Standard on East Coast but I had a good book and it was nice to be able to step out and get some fresh air on the platform at Nottingham knowing that there was a good ten minutes until we were due to leave.

I guess for passengers it's better to have this service, than just an ECS back to Neville Hill in Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.